Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Cory Schneider signs with the Islanders (1 year, $700K)

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
TZ7epHz_d.jpg

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Schneider has made way too much money in his career to sign a contract to play in the AHL at this point.

Schneider is still only 34 and doesn’t have a ton of NHL mileage, averaging just 44.4 games played (including playoffs) over the past 10 seasons.

He probably still just wants to play regardless of money, though picking up a few hundred thousand dollars this year to do so isn’t too shabby. Also gives him a chance to rebound and potentially work his way back to the NHL in a backup role.

Makes sense to sign with the NYI as Lou traded for him and the Islander’s AHL affiliate is less than 2 hours away from Schneider’s home in New Jersey. Great veteran depth signing for them, especially in a compressed season where we can expect to see more 3rd string goalies getting playing time for the NHL clubs.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I don’t see a problem with signing him. They can just demote him if he doesn’t play well. Also, New York is a better environment than New Jersey.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Isles can expose him in a couple years in the expansion draft instead of Varly or Sorokin. Makes sense.

EDIT-Disregard, It's only a 1 year deal.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Isles can expose him in a couple years in the expansion draft instead of Varly or Sorokin. Makes sense.

To be perfectly honest I rather we expose Varlamov. Hopefully by next season Sorokin proves himself and we can entice Seattle to pick up Varlamov's 5M

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Devils Fan; His intangibles are off the charts, and I happy for him. He helped galvanize our AHL team. They were in last place before he was sent down and he helped rally them. They lost only a handful of games after that. Plus, he was a good mentor to Blackwood.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Any chance this is to give Sorokin a few months in the AHL ala Shesterkin? Or was it explicit that Sorokin not play in the minors In order to get him
Signed?
I highly doubt Sorokin starts in the minors. Maybe if the AHL started first but who knows if that happens.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Well he did do it last year, probably still has the fire to keep going.
no he didnt, he was already signed so he didnt have a choice

Schneider may be willing to sign a two way contract but I very much doubt it, and using his AHL play last year isnt a comparable as he was making 6 million

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad