Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Cory Schneider signs with the Islanders (1 year, $700K)

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Schneider's being underestimated here. I bet he has a respectable season next year with the change of scenery and a fresh start.
I think the structure the Islanders have will mask some of Schneider's deficiencies but he is by no means the same goaltender he was 5 years ago. I hope he can turn it around but I don't think he's very good at this point. Hope I'm wrong though.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I don’t have any expectations for Schneider. 1 year $700k is no big deal for a veteran who’s going the be the #3 goalie in the organization. I see this as nothing more than Lou helping out a former player get healthy and giving him a chance to bounce back a bit and continue his career.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don’t have any expectations for Schneider. 1 year $700k is no big deal for a veteran who’s going the be the #3 goalie in the organization. I see this as nothing more than Lou helping out a former player get healthy and giving him a chance to bounce back a bit and continue his career.
And his full cap can be put in the minors.

Reactions: SI90

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Initially I was ticked about this...but...

It’s a compressed season and Gibson’s gone - wasn’t aware of that - plus, if the whole cap is allocated to the AHL, he’s got pedigree and can step in to relieve “Simon & Eli” without throwing much of a wrench into plans.

I’m good with it - Let’s see some more moves.

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631

Wes9310

Oct 25, 2020
Good for him, I was happy to hear that. All the best to him.....except when he plays the Leafs

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
What really happend to Schneider? I remember him being the next great goalie in the NHL when he started, like Brodeur, Roy and the likes. He was even competing with Lundqvist to be the best at one point. I think it's sad to see this.

well he has made 45 million dollars playing goalie in the nhl… until he got hurt his save % was one of the top 5 in history. now as he passes 30 he deals with some chronic groin issues if I remember the reports correctly and goaltending is a game of inches. the actual difference between the very best goalies in the league and the run of the mill stiffs is not great {in fact you see many guys bounce back and forth from vezina candidate to stiff on a yearly basis as they suffer confidence issues or get a little injury of their own}

do I think Schneider could suddenly have a healthy/vezina year again? hmmm... I dont have a lot of faith in it... but do I think he could put out 10-20 good efforts as a backup for some team? I guess I am ok with that notion... sure

if he wants to attempt to go out on a 'high note' and have a couple healthy seasons as a backup im ok with it. hes not being paid to be anyones savior now. and he sure isnt being paid to compete with Brodeur/roy for greatest.

goaltending graveyard is full of guys that had a 3-4 years of excellence and then a remainder of a career of mediocrity. its the nature of the beast

Reactions: uncleben

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Sorokin, Varlamov, Schneider. One of them is going to Bridgeport. Garth Snow is no longer in charge. The Bridgeport arena is very close to I-95.

He’s not actually signed right ?

Greene, Brassard,Martin also waiting for them to clear salary ?

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Schneider's being underestimated here. I bet he has a respectable season next year with the change of scenery and a fresh start.

You're probably right. He was playing well before the stoppage. His health was the big issue and he was finally recovered.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
You're probably right. He was playing well before the stoppage. His health was the big issue and he was finally recovered.
Schneider might work as a 3rd goalie in the system, I love the guy but I can’t see him being a back up NHL goalie at this point.

Schneider was phenomenal in 2014-15 and 2015-16 and then hasn’t put together a full good season since. The next two seasons were wildly uneven but it was second half of 2017-18 when things really started getting ugly, despite his nice play in the one playoff series.

After going a year without a regular season win, Cory began regaining form in February and played well the rest of the 2018-19 season, that’s presumably why Shero talked himself into going with Cory last season. After a good preseason, Schneider immediately broke down in the first home game and played the worst hockey of career until the end of February and then he had a similar bounce back like the season before which produced his three wins of the season before it was cut short.

If Schneider’s in the AHL and playing well then he’s probably healthy enough to win games in the NHL, particularly on this Islanders team. I’m rooting for him, I would love for him to have a come back with NYI or any team really. I just don’t believe that this is an injury that needed simply needed time to heal, it either degenerative or easily reaggravated because lay-offs have not particularly helped in the last few years.

Sorokin is 25, the team doesn’t really have time to slowly move him into a NHL role considering when he will become a UFA anyway so I’m assuming he’s the backup day one. They need to see what they have to decide what kind of contract to give him next off-season.

Dr Awesome

Yak in the city
Sep 24, 2008
British Columbia
What really happend to Schneider? I remember him being the next great goalie in the NHL when he started, like Brodeur, Roy and the likes. He was even competing with Lundqvist to be the best at one point. I think it's sad to see this.
Hip injuries that required surgery to correct. Hopefully the extra time off might able him to work on his game and regain his form

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Hope Schneider gets his career back on track, only heard good things about his work ethic coming back from injury and having to play in the AHL, but Devils had to move on.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Think he could rebound in Trotz's system. It's his next best bet and better than any team.

Sad his prime was wasted with in the AHL, as a back-up and on a bad team. But will admit he was so much fun to watch play on the Moose.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
He's a good #3, and since every team needs 3 goaltenders this year on the main roster-it makes sense. I'd rather have a has-been than a never-was be my #3 in this situation. Low risk addition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad