Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Cory Schneider signs with the Islanders (1 year, $700K)

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
willing to bet Isles loan Sorokin to Europe for the year, Schneider backs up

Sorokin I believe is already like 25, he need to come here soon(it's not like he is 20 or 21). Schneider I am guessing is insurance for the Islanders while in Schneider's case maybe he doesn't want o move and Islanders farm team is relatively close to NY. For Schneider he also gets to work with Mitch Korn who is a goalie guru and hopefully this helps him for next year

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Sorokin I believe is already like 25, he need to come here soon(it's not like he is 20 or 21). Schneider I am guessing is insurance for the Islanders while in Schneider's case maybe he doesn't want o move and Islanders farm team is relatively close to NY. For Schneider he also gets to work with Mitch Korn who is a goalie guru and hopefully this helps him for next year
but i doubt theres even an AHL season is my point

loan Sorokin for this mishap of a year so he gets full minutes in a pro league, let cory backup (even though hes washed), and then brink sorokin in for like 40 games next year

covid made this a sticky situation, i get what youre saying about Sorokins age but its better than letting him sit on the bench when he struggles vs sending him down to the A, which probably isnt an option this year from what ive been reading

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
If there is any part of the Islanders next season where Schneider has to be called up to play, he will be fine. Why do I say this? I give you two words, Mitch Korn. He is still one of the best goalie coaches in the game. Also, goalies play well in Trotz system.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Any chance this is to give Sorokin a few months in the AHL ala Shesterkin? Or was it explicit that Sorokin not play in the minors In order to get him
Signed?

I can see where you are coming from, but Greiss left and we have an open spot. MAYBE Lou did this to keep Sorokin honest because there may be a goalie that can overstep him if he doesn't do well, but this kid is off the charts with his quick moves and aggressiveness...I say he stays

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Do you honestly believe the ahl is gonna happen? Cuz they ride buses.

Not every team does. Texas Stars even in a normal year fly for most of their road games . With San Antonio no longer beeing a thing it'll be for every road game pandemic or not.

AHL will play just not every team. The teams that are owned by the NHL frachises will play imho.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Not every team does. Texas Stars even in a normal year fly for most of their road games . With San Antonio no longer beeing a thing it'll be for every road game pandemic or not.

AHL will play just not every team. The teams that are owned by the NHL frachises will play imho.
Thats a lot of money sunk into a league that cant have attendance and doesn't have TV deals

If the AHL happens the NHL is losing that much more money

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Thats a lot of money sunk into a league that cant have attendance and doesn't have TV deals

If the AHL happens the NHL is losing that much more money

North American bound prospects that aren't NHL ready yet have to play somewhere. Can't send them all to Europe to play imho.

Even if you expand the rosters it won't be for 10 or more spares.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Isles got no goalie depth in the AHL right now. Just sayin... Still hope that they can sign someone that’s at least little better than Schneider. Haha.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
North American bound prospects that aren't NHL ready yet have to play somewhere. Can't send them all to Europe to play imho.

Even if you expand the rosters it won't be for 10 or more spares.
While I agree with that, I doubt the NHL and its owners want to spend millions just to develop prospects

serp

Jan 17, 2016
While I agree with that, I doubt the NHL and its owners want to spend millions just to develop prospects

Depends on the owners. Some likely would do it. Others not so much.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
d1949e2890995b72836ca8ac24a20ba7_xl.jpg

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Prospects are company assets, It would be worse moneywise to not develop them
The NHL is also a business that needs to maintain its main league first - the AHL is an after-thought if its a net-negative (which it is since theres no attendance)

the AHL also isn't entirely prospects either - some guys are AHL lifers and some are 25-27 year olds who you know what they are

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
The NHL is also a business that needs to maintain its main league first - the AHL is an after-thought if its a net-negative (which it is since theres no attendance)

the AHL also isn't entirely prospects either - some guys are AHL lifers and some are 25-27 year olds who you know what they are
Todays prospect are tomorrows NHLers. If you don't develop them you wasted time and money as they are less likely to net you money later. There is no easy answer to the other AHL players. Some help develop prospects, some help you win which in turns develops prospects, other just cost money. I think teams will forgo many of the career AHLers this year to make the AHL into more of a developmental league.

Reactions: serp

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Todays prospect are tomorrows NHLers. If you don't develop them you wasted time and money as they are less likely to net you money later. There is no easy answer to the other AHL players. Some help develop prospects, some help you win which in turns develops prospects, other just cost money. I think teams will forgo many of the career AHLers this year to make the AHL into more of a developmental league.

Some teams already did that before the pandemic hit. Texas Stars roster was like 90% prospects even before. Career AHL players without any chance of callups will very likely be left out entirely this year.

Reactions: KrisBeKreame

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I guess Schneider feels if I am going to take a crappy deal might as well go to where they have one of the top goalie coaches. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets delt later in the season for a team with goaltending injury trouble

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
1. It's Lou
2. It's close, won't have to move his family
3. No risk for the Isles

Happy to see Cory get a job, but if it doesn't work out I could see him retiring mid season and taking an analyst job with NBC.

Reactions: periferal

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Please be a 2-way contract.
2 way contract just means he gets ahl minimum if sent down instead of his nhl minimum pay or whatever he signed for. It has nothing to do with his cap hit. Any player has 1 mil removed from cap hit when in minors so if he makes 1 mil or less he wont count against the cap at all.

Pretty much all veterans will have a 1 way contract.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
1. It's Lou
2. It's close, won't have to move his family
3. No risk for the Isles

Happy to see Cory get a job, but if it doesn't work out I could see him retiring mid season and taking an analyst job with NBC.
I think he'd have to move, I doubt Cory wants to drive 2+ hours a day

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad