Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Cory Schneider signs with the Islanders (1 year, $700K)

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I could be wrong but I do believe Varlamov has an injury history so Schneider does give the Isles insurance

If Sorokin pans out I do think Lou will try everything he can do to unload Varlamov next summer, thus Schneider might be the future backup

could it just be that Schneider will be the goalie left unprotected for expansion?
As of now we only have Varly that meets the criteria .

Reactions: periferal

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Why hasn’t this move been officially announced by the Islanders/NHL? That seems odd to me.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Schneider is on 1year contract so no. He would be free agent by time of draft.

At least as of now the expansion draft will take place before the 2021-2022 league year starts, and thus anyone who will be a UFA on July 1, 2022 will still be eligible for the expansion draft.

Reactions: Sparksrus3

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
At least as of now the expansion draft will take place before the 2021-2022 league year starts, and thus anyone who will be a UFA on July 1, 2022 will still be eligible for the expansion draft.

The required goalie left unprotected needs to be under contract for 2021-2022 or be a RFA.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The required goalie left unprotected needs to be under contract for 2021-2022 or be a RFA.

I still believe Islanders will be more than willing to expose Varlamov and his 5M caphit next summer

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Varlamov is currently automatically protected since they have no eligible other goalie.

They can always resign Schneider or trade for some teams 4th stringer who fills qualifications, that being said I am guessing that won't be an issue

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
They can always resign Schneider or trade for some teams 4th stringer who fills qualifications, that being said I am guessing that won't be an issue

I agree. Was just rectifying the guy saying a 1 year deal would cover the expansion draft.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Very possible especially with Sorokin on the horizon. Don't believe Varlomov will be taken anyways.

Assuming Islanders roster doesn't change, if they do a 4-4-1(they would need to protect Aho else he becomes the #1 cheap alternative) protection method they could force Vegas almost to have to take a 5M+ player so maybe Varlamov might be the best option in that regard for Seattle

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Schneider has made way too much money in his career to sign a contract to play in the AHL at this point.

Yeah. I just don't see him signing a deal like this, unless it's under the expectation that he'll be in the NHL. It's obviously not about the money in any way. It's clearly about trying to get himself another shot to prove he's not completely broken and washed up. Don't think the AHL really does that for him.

Kinda imagine the Isles will continue to stash Sorokin in the AHL, and just bring him up if something happens to Varlamov. But let Schneider ride the pine in the NHL for the most part, with spot starts here and there.

Would also kinda serve to hedge their goaltending situation a bit, against the Covids, if you have your Plan A (Varly) and Plan B (Sorokin) in different places.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
CapFriendly still lists him as an UFA. Is that merely technical or has he not signed with the Islanders?

Reactions: Morrison

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
14-15 when he played almost 4000 minutes, he deserves something for that. There's other examples like Price playing 72 games but man. Always worry about goalies after they do that.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Having a #3 will be more important than ever this season. I dunno if Schneider was the best 3 on the market, but was up there. you can’t hate this for 700k

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad