GDT: NY Rangers 2018 Development Camp Thread

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
that would be a big mistake, he needs to be in AHL. Many think KHL is 2nd best league, I would argue that AHL is because they play more games, use same size rink as NHL, run in English, work closely with NHL, etc. Also in Hartford Rangers have control of his icetime, and if he has a great season in KHL they can throw a lot of money at him to make him stay so better get him here now than waiting for him to come over like we are with Shestyorkin.

Hahahahaha. Playing in the KHL is bad because it's the 2nd best league so put him in the AHL which is the 4th best league :laugh:

Let's not forget that the Rangers don't have a choice here. Kravtsov is signed for another year and there is no official word yet about an opt out clause. The buy out window was in April. That ship has sailed. Unless Traktor cooperates and allows him to leave, he's playing in the KHL. Regardless, I personally think that a full sseason in the KHL is more beneficial for his development than a season in the AHL.

People keep bringing up Chytil as a comparison but the Czech Extraliga is not even close to the KHL in terms of quality. It's the 5th best European league after the KHL, SHL, Liiga and NLA. Chytil playing in the AHL instead of back in Zlin is huge. Kravtsov playing another season at home is actually a good thing.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
As long as Traktor put him in a position to succeed during the regular season, it's fine.

I'm sure his playoffs opened some eyes on the coaching staff.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
As long as Traktor put him in a position to succeed during the regular season, it's fine.

I'm sure his playoffs opened some eyes on the coaching staff.

I am worried he succeeds and they give him a big contract and we never see him again.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
His agent and Slats supposedly have a close relationship. I have no fear that the Rangers have this in the bag. Not to mention that most players want to be here and play at MSG.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I am worried he succeeds and they give him a big contract and we never see him again.

This offseason there were reports in Russia about SKA talking to Traktor about Kravtsov’s transfer. You know SKA has no problem obtaining players they target by flexing their financial muscles. In the end, and I’d say quite surprisingly, SKA backed off. My guess is Kravtsov declined any extension from SKA beyond his current contract and SKA didn’t want to have him just for one season and move on.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
If he wants to make the big money, he’s got a better shot at it by coming over. Kovalchuk was the highest paid KHL player by $1m and he was making $5.5m, and he comes back and gets $6.25m for 3 years handed to him

5.5 mil most likely tax free and they play a lot fewer games.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Did anyone else invite Joe Snively? His name was everywhere in the reports from our camp last year (older undersized skill guy who I think got to play with our better players)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Some of the Europeans might not be able to play. For instance Kravtsov will probably be getting ready to start the KHL season. For that matter Miller will be probably off to Wisconsin U.

F--Chytil, Andersson, Howden, Lindqvist, Meskanen, Gropp (?), Ronning, Gettinger, Fontaine (?), Leedahl (?), Hughes (?)

D--Hajek, Lindgren, Crawley (?), Day, Keane, Gross

G--Georgiev (?)

Guys I wouldn't expect---Kravtsov, Miller, Lundkvist, Lindbom, Ragnarsson, Pajuniemi, Kjellberg, Virta, Rykov, Sjalin, Lakatos, Barron, Huska, Wall, Reunanen, Nanne. These guys will probably have other commitments to meet.

Gross might be back in Europe, so I wouldn't be sure about him being there.

There was also a rumor that Lindbom might play in the CHL this year. There's a new rule allowing import goalies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He has one year left to run on his KHL contract--whether he can out of it or not I'm not sure but it will cost him a lot of money no doubt and he will make less playing in the AHL. I don't think it's a mistake one way or the other. If those are his two options I would let him decide. There are questions though about culture, language etc. but the Rangers are getting more Russian players and Kreider can speak Russian at least to some degree. So the culture hurdle and especially next year if Shesterkin and Rykov join him is not going to be as big.

Playing more games doesn't mean the AHL is a better league and to be honest I hate this KHL or AHL is better than the other argument. They are set up differently for one thing. The AHL is primarily a development league. The KHL is kind of like the old WHA in a way--it does things in a more major league way. In the AHL you can only have so many experienced players--in the KHL those rules don't apply. He's going to be playing against good competition in either. As well larger ice surfaces like in Europe help develop skating, positional play, basic fundamentals of stickhandling and passing. Yeah--Kravtsov will have to play on smaller rinks and he'll be hit more when he comes to the NHL--so what though---a year from now he could be 15 lbs. heavier and that could be a big help.

And keep in mind the AHL is not a walk in the park for players to run up numbers. If Kravtsov played there and hit for 30-35 points some people here would be going nuts with what a wasted pick he is--but that is almost okay second line production. It's not just what the Rangers want--it's also what works best for Kravtsov.

New KHL rules don't allow it. He would've already had to give notice.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
His contract doesn't allow it.

I have the sense that he'd be better off playing for Chelyabinsk this year anyway. And for the Rangers how many rookies--1st/2nd year players do we want on your team anyway? Three/four guys a year is usually plently--five kind of pushing it and more than that is probably going too far. If Andersson and Chytil are on the team next year--that will be two. Pionk played 28 games but he pretty much fits too and Georgiev. We are very likely going to be putting a lot of youth into our lineup next year--so waiting a year for Kravtsov shouldn't be harmful for us or for him.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
everyone is down on Olof Lindbom and I don't get it. There's lots of teams who have no goalie depth or no NHL goalie potential. We have 2 or 3 now.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
from ny post

Yegor Rykov, the young Russian defenseman who came over in the deal that sent Michael Grabner to the Devils, had to deal with immigration and visa issues and will not attend.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
everyone is down on Olof Lindbom and I don't get it. There's lots of teams who have no goalie depth or no NHL goalie potential. We have 2 or 3 now.
It's not about the player per se. It's about draft value. Many quality goaltenders can be had in the later rounds of drafts. There is no reason to waste a second round pick on one. Not to mention that goaltending prospects have very little trade value.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Here are notes about some of the invitees:

Kevin Hancock: 20 year old center/left winger. He is the one invitee who still was eligible to be drafted this weekend but he wasn't. Steve Kournianos had him ranked as the 138th best overager available for this year's draft. Has had 2 more than point per game seasons for Owen Sound.

Drew Melanson: Senior left handed winger from Paramus New Jersey. Hartford signed five players to PTOs at the end of the year. Melanson was the only one invited to the camp. Played 3 years at RPI and then transferred to BU. 19 points in 40 games as a senior. With Quinn connection maybe he gets an AHL contract.

Mason Bergh, Junior, Center/Left Wing: In the Last Word Army's listing of the top 40 NCAA free agents, 3 are attending Rangers camp. Bergh is one. Here is the LWA write up on Bergh:

"Captain of Colorado College, Bergh has put up 16 goals and 37 points in 34 games this season. Bergh gets in quickly on the forecheck, pressuring defenders and creating turnovers in the offensive zone. He plays an aggressive style and does not back down from anyone. Bergh is an effective pest, going to the net and creating havoc. He will need to get stronger to continue to play this game at the pro level. He also has skill with a good wrist shot and release and the vision and passing skills to be a playmaker."

Brogan Rafferty: Sophomore, Right Defense: Rafferty is to me the most interesting of the 3 highly rated prospects because he plays right defense and the Rangers/Hartford are deficient in that area. Here is the LWA write up on Rafferty:

"The 22-year-old defenseman put up four goals and 17 points in 36 games this season. He attended development camp with the Chicago Blackhawks last season. Rafferty is not afraid to rush the puck up the ice. He is a strong stick handler and has the agility and shiftiness to skate the puck out of danger. Rafferty also has good passing skills and can start the rush, or set up plays from the blue line. His agility allows him to walk the line and open up passing and shooting lanes. His defensive game is getting better, as he improves his positioning and learns how to use his size to battle for loose pucks in the corners and in front of the net."

Josh Teves: Junior, Left Defense: Teves is the final highly rated college player. He was a leader on Princeton's excellent team. Hartford had signed Princeton senior winger David Hellesey to a PTO at the end of last year but did not invite him to camp. I think I read where Teves said he was returning to school and the other top Princeton players, Max Verroneau and Ryan Kuffner, also have said they were returning for their senior years. Since the Rangers just traded for 3 highly ranked left handed defensemen and draft 4 more including a first round pick, it seems unlikely that Teves is a serious candidate for a contract after camp. Here is the LWA write up on Teves:

Teves has put up six goals and 28 points in 26 games this season. Teves is a slick skater, with good speed in both directions, and excellent pivots and crossovers. This allows him to cover a lot of ice, and to play an effective two-way game. He can skate the puck out of danger in his end, as well as lead the rush on the attack. Teves also has very good playmaking skills, which he can use in transition, or in playing the point on the powerplay. He is strong positionally and has a quick stick, but must improve his size and strength to succeed in the professional game.

Rafferty and Bergh are the two invitees that potentially interest me. The Rangers have occasionally signed invitees to contracts after prospect camp. Georgiev last year and Kyle Jean a few years ago are examples.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Can Kravtsov buyout his contract, sign with NYR, then get loaned to the KHL team? In that situation he’d be able to play in Hartford and/or NY after the KHL season ends in April. Not saying that’s best. Just checking whether or not it’s possible/ been done before.

Reactions: Ori

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Josh Teves: Junior, Left Defense: Teves is the final highly rated college player. He was a leader on Princeton's excellent team. Hartford had signed Princeton senior winger David Hellesey to a PTO at the end of last year but did not invite him to camp. I think I read where Teves said he was returning to school and the other top Princeton players, Max Verroneau and Ryan Kuffner, also have said they were returning for their senior years. Since the Rangers just traded for 3 highly ranked left handed defensemen and draft 4 more including a first round pick, it seems unlikely that Teves is a serious candidate for a contract after camp. Here is the LWA write up on Teves:

Teves has put up six goals and 28 points in 26 games this season. Teves is a slick skater, with good speed in both directions, and excellent pivots and crossovers. This allows him to cover a lot of ice, and to play an effective two-way game. He can skate the puck out of danger in his end, as well as lead the rush on the attack. Teves also has very good playmaking skills, which he can use in transition, or in playing the point on the powerplay. He is strong positionally and has a quick stick, but must improve his size and strength to succeed in the professional game.
Huh. Hockeydb has Teves listed as a righty, but this is now three sources I see listing him as a lefty, so I guess they have it wrong. Disappointing, because I really like the kid's profile, but unless a lot changes during the year, there just isn't room for another LHD FA signee...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad