GDT: NY Rangers 2018 Development Camp Thread

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
For sure, though it sounds like they're going to get Kravtsov to come over this year.

If he buys out the one year left on his KHL contract--then yeah. They're going to have to decide whether they think he has a legit chance to play in the NHL this year before training camp--because the KHL starts a bit earlier. He's also going to have to decide whether or not to take a run for a job this year or wait until next year. All that has yet to play out.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
REALLY pumped that the kid Teves from Princeton is an invite. Would love to sign him as an UDFA. 33 points in 31 games last year. 6'0", 180lbs, RHS.

I'd caution that we should watch out for his age. He's the age of most kids that graduated college in 2016-17, yet he'll be graduating in 2018-19. That doesn't make him a bad player, but its worth pointing out that he's going to be 24 at parts of the season playing against a lot of kids like five years younger than him.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I’m really interested in the physical research teams do with their draft picks. In the summer of 2015, Chytil was five-foot-eight, playing in a Czech league labelled similar to Junior B. The Rangers looked at the genes around him. His mother is five-foot-10 and a good athlete. His father is six-foot-four, also very active. His brother, who is 20, is six-foot-five soccer goalkeeper. Now, Filip is listed as six-foot-two, with the possibility of adding a little more. It really helped that he jumped from his previous stop into the Czech Elite League, where he played very well. But it’s clear the Rangers invested a lot of time in making the best possible projection of his growth. Very intriguing prospect.

31 Thoughts: Olympic roster decisions starting to take shape - Sportsnet.ca

Chytil could end up at 6-4 or 6-5. Big and strong power center with skill and speed.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Melanson played a handful of games for Hartford on an ATO, so it's not a huge surprise he's around. I don't know if he'd be a candidate for anything more than an AHL deal if he shows really well.

Reactions: Joey Bones and Ola

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast

Chytil looks so much bigger than the other players. Howden and Lindgren look small compared to Chytil. What’s his height and weight these days? Everyone in his immediate family are big people. Even his mom is a big and tall strong woman.

Chytil legitimately looks 6’4”-6’5” in that photo. I understand the depth perception changes things but he looks HUGE! Lindgren is 6’ and Howden is 6’3”

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Haha, just what we need, Chytil measures up to 6’8 at camp and skates like Steckel the rest of his career... ;)

Reactions: Galvatron

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Some of the Europeans might not be able to play. For instance Kravtsov will probably be getting ready to start the KHL season. For that matter Miller will be probably off to Wisconsin U.

F--Chytil, Andersson, Howden, Lindqvist, Meskanen, Gropp (?), Ronning, Gettinger, Fontaine (?), Leedahl (?), Hughes (?)

D--Hajek, Lindgren, Crawley (?), Day, Keane, Gross

G--Georgiev (?)

Guys I wouldn't expect---Kravtsov, Miller, Lundkvist, Lindbom, Ragnarsson, Pajuniemi, Kjellberg, Virta, Rykov, Sjalin, Lakatos, Barron, Huska, Wall, Reunanen, Nanne. These guys will probably have other commitments to meet.

Yeah, and I hope that we don’t try to keep anyone in camp just to get a look and see.

Playing in the SHL for example is a big challenge for an 18 y/o, the season starts in September. You don’t want them to miss the preseason in Europe and the start of the season, it can affect them negatively the rest of the season. Their time in NA will come. They have so much going on, WJSS, then there are Junior National Team camps all fall when there are breaks in the SHL, the summer schedule is full already.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah, and I hope that we don’t try to keep anyone in camp just to get a look and see.

Playing in the SHL for example is a big challenge for an 18 y/o, the season starts in September. You don’t want them to miss the preseason in Europe and the start of the season, it can affect them negatively the rest of the season. Their time in NA will come. They have so much going on, WJSS, then there are Junior National Team camps all fall when there are breaks in the SHL, the summer schedule is full already.

The time to figure out where they are with Kravtsov and for Kravtsov to figure out where he is with the Rangers and where he is with his KHL team is over the summer. If he tries to make the Rangers and doesn't make it he's kind of either stuck in Hartford (I don't see any point of him playing in the CHL after playing all of last year in the KHL) or he's kind of sticking it to his KHL team if he returns there. Anyway my best guess would be that he signs with the Rangers but plays this year in the KHL and then comes over for 19-10 with the idea of making the Rangers.

As for K'Andre Miller I'm thinking two years--maybe 3 at Wisconsin U.---keeping in mind that he's only been a d-man for two years---I suspect his game still a bit raw. Defense is not like forward--it's a harder position to play. A couple years for the Wisconsin might be just what he needs. Some former Rangers who played there--Ryan McDonagh, Derek Stepan, Mike Richter, current Wisconsin coach Tony Granato.

Nils Lundkvist IMO needs to grow a bit more before he's ready for the NHL--again I would think a couple years anyway.

So this year's first rounders landing dates--Kravtsov 19-20 Miller 21-22 Lundkvist 21-22. This shouldn't be a problem. Chytil and Andersson should be with the Rangers--maybe Shesterkin and or Georgiev. Pionk should be. Potentially Hajek and Lindgren and Rykov has a shot too. Maybe Howden.....and not forgetting Lindqvist,Meskanen, Nieves and Lettieri. The Rangers should be adding 3 or 4 rookies each of the next two seasons.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The time to figure out where they are with Kravtsov and for Kravtsov to figure out where he is with the Rangers and where he is with his KHL team is over the summer. If he tries to make the Rangers and doesn't make it he's kind of either stuck in Hartford (I don't see any point of him playing in the CHL after playing all of last year in the KHL) or he's kind of sticking it to his KHL team if he returns there. Anyway my best guess would be that he signs with the Rangers but plays this year in the KHL and then comes over for 19-10 with the idea of making the Rangers.

I will wait for something more official to be announced regarding his contract. He's signed until 2019 and the window for a buy out was in April. Unless he has an opt-out, or if Chelyabinsk is willing to let him go, he's not coming over.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Lundkvist does look like he might have to put on a lot more muscle to withstand the physicality of AHL and NHL. 10 years ago there is no way he is even a 2nd round pick. I really don't like this softification of the NHL, really miss those entertaining physical games with big hitters and agitators Barnaby, Avery, Theo Fleury, Hollweg, Ortmeyer, etc. NHL has lost so much entertainment value lately it has become so bland.

Reactions: ponzu4u

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Guys, Chytil is definitely not that tall. I was at the draft party and can definitely confirm that he was standing on a staircase in the pic. The prospects were all taking pics at that spot.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
College players are not allowed to play at Traverse City because it is considered a professional event. That means Riley Hughes, who is committed to Northeastern, won't play unless he signs a pro contract. The other NCAA players already are included in your list of players not expected at Traverse City.

Some of the Europeans might not be able to play. For instance Kravtsov will probably be getting ready to start the KHL season. For that matter Miller will be probably off to Wisconsin U.

F--Chytil, Andersson, Howden, Lindqvist, Meskanen, Gropp (?), Ronning, Gettinger, Fontaine (?), Leedahl (?), Hughes (?)

D--Hajek, Lindgren, Crawley (?), Day, Keane, Gross

G--Georgiev (?)

Guys I wouldn't expect---Kravtsov, Miller, Lundkvist, Lindbom, Ragnarsson, Pajuniemi, Kjellberg, Virta, Rykov, Sjalin, Lakatos, Barron, Huska, Wall, Reunanen, Nanne. These guys will probably have other commitments to meet.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I will wait for something more official to be announced regarding his contract. He's signed until 2019 and the window for a buy out was in April. Unless he has an opt-out, or if Chelyabinsk is willing to let him go, he's not coming over.

I would say the odds are he plays for Chelyabinsk this year.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
New York Rangers Announce Roster for Prospect Development Camp

Mostly uninteresting older invites except for Hancock. Why would they invite Basso to the camp? Our scouts can't even invite good young unsigned prospects.

Missing prospects are Shestyorkin, Rykov, Virta, Lakatos, Reunanen, Crawley, Gropp, Bernhardt.

I think it is safe to say that both 4th rounders Reunanen and Bernhardt are complete busts. Lakatos 2 year overager showed significant regression Rangers are likely done with him, nice waste of a pick. Crawley another genius 2 year overager pick was so good in AHL that Rangers traded for 4 Dmen and drafted 6 more.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018

Mostly uninteresting older invites except for Hancock. Why would they invite Basso to the camp? Our scouts can't even invite good young unsigned prospects.

Missing prospects are Shestyorkin, Rykov, Virta, Lakatos, Reunanen, Crawley, Gropp, Bernhardt.

I think it is safe to say that both 4th rounders Reunanen and Bernhardt are complete busts. Lakatos 2 year overager showed significant regression Rangers are likely done with him, nice waste of a pick. Crawley another genius 2 year overager pick was so good in AHL that Rangers traded for 4 Dmen and drafted 6 more.
You literally have shit on the Rangers since our first pick was made. Now we're moving towards camp invites? Lol

Reactions: bhamill and nyr2k2

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I would say the odds are he plays for Chelyabinsk this year.

that would be a big mistake, he needs to be in AHL. Many think KHL is 2nd best league, I would argue that AHL is because they play more games, use same size rink as NHL, run in English, work closely with NHL, etc. Also in Hartford Rangers have control of his icetime, and if he has a great season in KHL they can throw a lot of money at him to make him stay so better get him here now than waiting for him to come over like we are with Shestyorkin.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
College players are not allowed to play at Traverse City because it is considered a professional event. That means Riley Hughes, who is committed to Northeastern, won't play unless he signs a pro contract. The other NCAA players already are included in your list of players not expected at Traverse City.
Pretty sure that’s not technically true. He can’t have the team pay for his room, board, and travel (or a salary, obviously), but he can participate if he goes on his own dime — much as Barron is doing at this week’s prospect camp.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Calling a pick a waste in hindsight is just lazy and an easy way to score some points. Your ability to complain knows no limits.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
that would be a big mistake, he needs to be in AHL. Many think KHL is 2nd best league, I would argue that AHL is because they play more games, use same size rink as NHL, run in English, work closely with NHL, etc. Also in Hartford Rangers have control of his icetime, and if he has a great season in KHL they can throw a lot of money at him to make him stay so better get him here now than waiting for him to come over like we are with Shestyorkin.

He has one year left to run on his KHL contract--whether he can out of it or not I'm not sure but it will cost him a lot of money no doubt and he will make less playing in the AHL. I don't think it's a mistake one way or the other. If those are his two options I would let him decide. There are questions though about culture, language etc. but the Rangers are getting more Russian players and Kreider can speak Russian at least to some degree. So the culture hurdle and especially next year if Shesterkin and Rykov join him is not going to be as big.

Playing more games doesn't mean the AHL is a better league and to be honest I hate this KHL or AHL is better than the other argument. They are set up differently for one thing. The AHL is primarily a development league. The KHL is kind of like the old WHA in a way--it does things in a more major league way. In the AHL you can only have so many experienced players--in the KHL those rules don't apply. He's going to be playing against good competition in either. As well larger ice surfaces like in Europe help develop skating, positional play, basic fundamentals of stickhandling and passing. Yeah--Kravtsov will have to play on smaller rinks and he'll be hit more when he comes to the NHL--so what though---a year from now he could be 15 lbs. heavier and that could be a big help.

And keep in mind the AHL is not a walk in the park for players to run up numbers. If Kravtsov played there and hit for 30-35 points some people here would be going nuts with what a wasted pick he is--but that is almost okay second line production. It's not just what the Rangers want--it's also what works best for Kravtsov.

Reactions: egelband and Ola

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad