GDT: NY Rangers 2018 Development Camp Thread

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If she counted the shootout goal as a hattrick I’m truly embarrassed for her. That’s absurd for a hockey writer.

She did write yesterday that Lias looked speedy out there.

I’m not sure which tweet was worse

Meskanen has me very interested.

as does Fontaine as a 4th liner.

We have got to move some guys out we have too.

And finally hajek and Howden are going to be steals. Love them both would be surprised if both aren’t full timers before the season ends.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
If she counted the shootout goal as a hattrick I’m truly embarrassed for her. That’s absurd for a hockey writer.

She did write yesterday that Lias looked speedy out there.

I’m not sure which tweet was worse

Meskanen has me very interested.

as does Fontaine as a 4th liner.

We have got to move some guys out we have too.

And finally hajek and Howden are going to be steals. Love them both would be surprised if both aren’t full timers before the season ends.
Its impossible that Lias improved his leg strength over the short break?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think @Ola put it nicely: I could see Meskanen having a hot start and petering out, while Lindqvist takes a while to hit his stride but ultimately ends up being the better player. I'm intrigued by both, even if I think they'll be AHL guys.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think @Ola put it nicely: I could see Meskanen having a hot start and petering out, while Lindqvist takes a while to hit his stride but ultimately ends up being the better player. I'm intrigued by both, even if I think they'll be AHL guys.

I just want Lindqvist to make the team, if only to see this fanbase in an everlasting confused state as to why we are playing our newly drafted D-man as a forward

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The Coyotes rushed Turris and Boedker into the lineup in 2008 and it was a lost year for their development. They both played well in the AHL the following season.

NYR should give the spots to people who deserve them. If that means watching a truly depressing lineup for a season while most of the prospects develop in Hartford, so be it.

i think thats a big reason we haven't seen many deals yet...there are kids that they might hope are in the lineup but they aren't going to force them in if they aren't ready

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Meskanen and Lindqvist definitely will get their chance to earn a spot. The question is whether or not it is straight out of camp or if they marinate in the AHL a bit. They are still quite young.

trying to not get my hopes up too much after seeing kovac and whoever the other swedish wonder twin is. don't even remember his name lol

Reactions: TheTakedown

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I always defended Leslie, but she started to lose me with the Danny Kristo and Kyle Jean debacles. It was at that point I could no longer defend her off-the-wall takes.

Ehh. I really don't know. She's been good at covering the team over the years, but her articles always have lots of mistakes and her rankings are always kind of "WTF?" She's pretty knowledgeable about hockey, but so are a lot of people here.

Yeah that's pretty much it. She reminds me of my buddy Erik, who generally sucks because he contributes little of substance. But, he's always "there" so he remains a friend. Always there, doing his thing, even if his thing isn't much.

Over the past few years, she's posted a few "rumors" that were just vague nonsense about something potentially happening that never came to fruition. Now her ins give her awesome information like, "Player XYZ banged up his leg and won't take part in tomorrow's scrimmage."

I hope your friend Erik doesn't read this board...

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Lundqvist isn’t going to be an AHL guy. He has a one year contract with a Euro assignment clause. If he doesn’t make the big club by a certain date, he’s AMFYOYO.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
trying to not get my hopes up too much after seeing kovac and whoever the other swedish wonder twin is. don't even remember his name lol

Kovacs was 19 and Stromwall wasn't even close in achievements to these two. He had worse numbers in an inferior league. These two are almost PPG players in the SHL. There are no guarantees, but I feel these two have a better chance than Stromwall

Reactions: Leetch3

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Lundqvist isn’t going to be an AHL guy. He has a one year contract with a Euro assignment clause. If he doesn’t make the big club by a certain date, he’s AMFYOYO.

Nah, I am not so sure about that. Not if he does well. But if he isn’t close and it seems like he is getting a depth role in HFD he might not see much point in staying. But I would be surprised if he didn’t think it was worth it to spend a year or two in NA to see if he got it as long as he does well. I think the general notion among Swedes is that you will regret it if you don’t really give the NHL a shot.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Because he is a 200ft player without a lot of offensive flash I’m assuming.

Hockey is about playing a 200ft game and I don’t think it makes sense to cap someone like Howden’s potential.

But I also think it can be smart to not let the expectations on a kid like that run wild. Many are predicting that he will become a 70 pts second line center and I think that is aiming too high.

I think we have seen how it’s been valuable to have a N-S 200ft player on a line, and often on the wing, since they open up ice for the more skilled players. The league have changed, before you had like guys like Rob Ray or Brad May or more old fashioned true PFs in those roles. But the league have changed a lot. Ds aren’t nearly as vicious as they used to be, they are smaller, the rules are so much more strict. If you just have OK size and are willing to pay the price you can play that role. AV wanted Vesey to become more that type of player. Pouliot played that style with Zucc and Brass.

If we have an opening at center and Howden looks like he can fill it, sure you go for that. But otherwise I think it might be smart to try to mold Howden into someone that can play the same role on a line as Pouliot had with Brass and Zucc. Why not Howden-Chytil-Krapshot down the line?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I seriously did a double take at the beginning of your post for a second. The L_nd_vist carousel is already starting. :laugh:

That's just my guess with him, even with him making huge strides these past two seasons in Allsvenskan and the SHL. If he wins a spot directly out of camp, that'll be awesome, but I just have that nagging feeling he'll need some time in Hartford.

Also, I know you mentioned what AMFYOYO means before, but I honestly have no idea.

Reactions: haveandare

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I seriously did a double take at the beginning of your post for a second. The L_nd_vist carousel is already starting. :laugh:

That's just my guess with him, even with him making huge strides these past two seasons in Allsvenskan and the SHL. If he wins a spot directly out of camp, that'll be awesome, but I just have that nagging feeling he'll need some time in Hartford.

Also, I know you mentioned what AMFYOYO means before, but I honestly have no idea.

Adios, My Friend, You're On Your Own

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad