GDT: NY Rangers 2018 Development Camp Thread

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Yup she definitely included his SO goal in his "hat-trick", Leslie Treff doesn't seem to know anything about hockey lol, scrolling through her tweets and during the draft she said she hopes they pick Nils Lundkvist because he has good size :laugh:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Eh, she’s been very good in terms of effort. But her talent assessment always becomes a point of discussion here.

She's been doing it for a long time. I wouldn't say I always agree with her but I would say she's fairly knowledgeable and she's had a kind of an in with the team for a while too.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yup she definitely included his SO goal in his "hat-trick", Leslie Treff doesn't seem to know anything about hockey lol, scrolling through her tweets and during the draft she said she hopes they pick Nils Lundkvist because he has good size :laugh:
I always defended Leslie, but she started to lose me with the Danny Kristo and Kyle Jean debacles. It was at that point I could no longer defend her off-the-wall takes.

She probably knows more than most posters on this board.
Ehh. I really don't know. She's been good at covering the team over the years, but her articles always have lots of mistakes and her rankings are always kind of "WTF?" She's pretty knowledgeable about hockey, but so are a lot of people here.

Eh, she’s been very good in terms of effort. But her talent assessment always becomes a point of discussion here.
Yeah that's pretty much it. She reminds me of my buddy Erik, who generally sucks because he contributes little of substance. But, he's always "there" so he remains a friend. Always there, doing his thing, even if his thing isn't much.

She's been doing it for a long time. I wouldn't say I always agree with her but I would say she's fairly knowledgeable and she's had a kind of an in with the team for a while too.
Over the past few years, she's posted a few "rumors" that were just vague nonsense about something potentially happening that never came to fruition. Now her ins give her awesome information like, "Player XYZ banged up his leg and won't take part in tomorrow's scrimmage."

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Those 2 righty euros really intrigue me. Meskanen more so. Big Time shooter. If he can keep up with the pace of the league he could be a really interesting pick up.

if those 2 can play that could make training camp really interesting if we don't trade away guys...not sure where everyone fits without forcing more guys into the mix

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Yeah, and I think some ‘mistakes’ of hers stick out because we really are freaks discussing these things hours or more per day, 365 days a year. For us it’s unthinkable to not know if a kid we drafted in whatever round is a leftie or a right, but if you don’t bicker about these things back and forth back and forth around the clock you can of course be mistaken. It’s really mostly useless knowledge, doesn’t make someone uninformed about the game. Heck, I wouldn’t be shocked if someone like Gorts wasn’t always aware on if a Gabe Fontaine is a lefty or a righty...

She is there in the stands watching everything in person instead. I am sure she knows a ton of things we have no clue about.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah, and I think some ‘mistakes’ of hers stick out because we really are freaks discussing these things hours or more per day, 365 days a year. For us it’s unthinkable to not know if a kid we drafted in whatever round is a leftie or a right, but if you don’t bicker about these things back and forth back and forth around the clock you can of course be mistaken. It’s really mostly useless knowledge, doesn’t make someone uninformed about the game. Heck, I wouldn’t be shocked if someone like Gorts wasn’t always aware on if a Gabe Fontaine is a lefty or a righty...

She is there in the stands watching everything in person instead. I am sure she knows a ton of things we have no clue about.

There were certainly a number of things over the years I didn't agree with Leslie on but anyone of us could make a prospect list for instance and get panned hard by others about it. Just putting it front of someone else's eyes opens you up for criticism. Some people won't go to that effort just because of that but it won't necessarily stop them from crapping on those who do. People have different takes on things. The draft is another thing and it was all over the map the other day......and the Rangers proved once again they don't give a shit about what the consensus of pundits and draft analysts think.

I think this should be said to---you could talk to Leslie and she would respond and she never gave me the vibe that she was big expert smartest person on the planet and she never got all that defensive either. She would do write-ups and give opinions but we got all opinions and sometimes hers didn't turn out well but that sometimes also goes for the rest of us.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Meskanen and Lindqvist definitely will get their chance to earn a spot. The question is whether or not it is straight out of camp or if they marinate in the AHL a bit. They are still quite young.

I think Meskanen is the type who really can make some noise early, and then he will of course gradually fade away from the top spotlight as the competition gets better — but who knows, it might be enough to win someone like him a spot.

Lindqvist might come a bit from the other direction, ie maybe not destroy prospect camps, but he is a bit more refined and will feed of a more organized style and better linemates.

We haven’t really pulled a rabbit out of a hat in a while. Pionk maybe has potential to become a good contributor. Think it’s due for someone to really explode. Why not someone like Meskanen?

I want a righty with Kreider-Zibanejad, why not Meskanen?
Kreider-Zib-Meskanen
Zucc-Chytil-Krapshot
Shark-Hayes-Fast
Vesey-Names-Buch

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
He's a smart kid who gets overlooked because the numbers don't pop out, but he definitely has that Blair Betts kind of vibe to him.

That is a name from the past, trying to even remember his game lol.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think Meskanen is the type who really can make some noise early, and then he will of course gradually fade away from the top spotlight as the competition gets better — but who knows, it might be enough to win someone like him a spot.

Lindqvist might come a bit from the other direction, ie maybe not destroy prospect camps, but he is a bit more refined and will feed of a more organized style and better linemates.

We haven’t really pulled a rabbit out of a hat in a while. Pionk maybe has potential to become a good contributor. Think it’s due for someone to really explode. Why not someone like Meskanen?

I want a righty with Kreider-Zibanejad, why not Meskanen?
Kreider-Zib-Meskanen
Zucc-Chytil-Krapshot
Shark-Hayes-Buch
Vesey-Names-Fast

4 rookies in the line-up? That's a bit much for me. And Chytil isn't ready for a top-6 role in the NHL, neither is Kravtsov.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The Coyotes rushed Turris and Boedker into the lineup in 2008 and it was a lost year for their development. They both played well in the AHL the following season.

NYR should give the spots to people who deserve them. If that means watching a truly depressing lineup for a season while most of the prospects develop in Hartford, so be it.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Meskanen and Lindqvist definitely will get their chance to earn a spot. The question is whether or not it is straight out of camp or if they marinate in the AHL a bit. They are still quite young.

Too many q*ists's on this team

* denots k, v, q, i, or any other swedish placeholder letter :p

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
4 rookies in the line-up? That's a bit much for me. And Chytil isn't ready for a top-6 role in the NHL, neither is Kravtsov.

It's too early to know whether Chytil is ready for a top 6 center role but my gut tells me no. That doesn't mean I don't think he can't make the team and contribute offense but it needs to be kept in mind he'll still be 18 when the season starts. He's very much still a kid. So I've still got Zibanejad and Hayes penciled in as our top two centers. It would be helpful though for the Rangers to put Chytil in spots and with players who can help bring out his offense.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The Coyotes rushed Turris and Boedker into the lineup in 2008 and it was a lost year for their development. They both played well in the AHL the following season.

NYR should give the spots to people who deserve them. If that means watching a truly depressing lineup for a season while most of the prospects develop in Hartford, so be it.

As much as I agree with you, it hurts when you post directly after me :(

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Last thing from me on Leslie, because it's off topic. She's a fine hockey writer. I don't think she's particularly informative with our prospects. She shows up to this and Traverse. Now, other guys do, too. Her prospect reports are no longer actual reports of progress but just inaccurate statistical recaps. I appreciate what she has done over the years, but if you want prospect news and analysis you're better off just reading stuff here. You'll get the same news, probably more quickly, and actual first-hand analysis (even on guys in random Euro leagues). That's all I have to add.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

Thought it was funny

Leslie sends tweet specifically about Huska
Guy asks how he's doing
Leslie for some reason asks "Who?" even though the tweet is about Huska and she sent it

Guy talks about Huska's development possibly slowing
Treff points out he lost a lot of time during the year

Guy makes idiotic comment to try to prove he's smarter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad