Trade: [NY/DAL] Porzingis, Burke, Hardaway, and Lee for 2021 and 2023 1sts, DAJ, Matthews, and DSJ

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I wonder if the 2019 1st has protection. If not, I think the Knicks could make out like bandits.

The Mavs pick is already set to be sent to the Hawks as part of the Doncic trade/robbery. Top 5 protected.

Not sure but I think the only way the Knicks can acquire that pick is if the condition is as follows: Knicks gets Mavericks 2019 1st rounder if the pick is top 5. Otherwise, they get Mavericks pick in 2021.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
There have been numerous reports of players wanting to play in New York next year. KD, Butler come to mind immediately. Even Kyrie seems reasonable now. The possibility of players teaming up there strengthens that likelihood.

Knicks have signed one star player in the last 20 years - Amar’e. & that was only after they whiffed on LeBron. Every year (aside from the Jackson years) we hear that they could be a top destination for free agent X. It very well could never happen.

Reactions: Sweetbutt

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Woj is the be all end all butnive seen a lot of reports that say Kporzee would sign his QO

That would be an insane risk coming of an ACL injury. Sure he can try to bet on himself but he should wait a while before betting on himself like that.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Wasn't really talking about KD specifically, just that the Knicks are always at least potentially a very desirable franchise to play for.

Honestly not really. Dolan has a horrible rep around the league and players really don’t care that its the Big Apple. If you love the city that much Brooklyn is an option that comes with less scrutiny.

Reactions: serp

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I forgot that a max QO with term exists -- the Bulls used it on Butler. Maybe it's posturing to get it coming off of the ACL?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The Mavs pick is already set to be sent to the Hawks as part of the Doncic trade/robbery. Top 5 protected.

Not sure but I think the only way the Knicks can acquire that pick is if the condition is as follows: Knicks gets Mavericks 2019 1st rounder if the pick is top 5. Otherwise, they get Mavericks pick in 2021.

By 2021 Mavs will be a top contender anyhow. Lolz when you dump your young franchise cornerstone to get cap space.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Knicks have signed one star player in the last 20 years - Amar’e. & that was only after they whiffed on LeBron. Every year (aside from the Jackson years) we hear that they could be a top destination for free agent X. It very well could never happen.

I get that - but the free agent market is just different this off-season. A lot of big names, very few chairs to sit in. I really do believe the reports that players are interested in signing with the Knicks because of how the media is being used in 2019 for tampering purposes.

It could end up being underwhelming, but as it stands the Knicks are the only team with two open max slots. Very attractive for players who want to team up.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
By 2021 Mavs will be a top contender anyhow. Lolz when you dump your young franchise cornerstone to get cap space.

I mean its the Knicks . They've had delusions of grandeur for ever . They probably think they had KD and Kyrie in the bag because they talk nice about New York but end up elsewhere while the Knicks sign another albatross or two on mediocre borderline allstars again.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I get that - but the free agent market is just different this off-season. A lot of big names, very few chairs to sit in. I really do believe the reports that players are interested in signing with the Knicks because of how the media is being used in 2019 for tampering purposes.

Everybody allways say they're interested in the Knicks and nobody actually ends up there when the dust settles.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

It could end up being underwhelming, but as it stands the Knicks are the only team with two open max slots. Very attractive for players who want to team up.

Same story every year - “it’s different this time!” New York is a great city but nobody has any desire to play for James Dolan. I mean the Melo Years has some good teams and they made it out of the first round what, once? I don’t think any player is seriously interested in the Knicks outside of the fact they can offer the most $$.

They had max slots in 2010 and all they got was a worn down Amar’e.

I mean its the Knicks . They've had delusions of grandeur for ever . They probably think they had KD and Kyrie in the bag because they talk nice about New York but end up elsewhere while the Knicks sign another albatross or two on mediocre borderline allstars again.

Kyrie grew up in NJ so they think he’s coming “home”

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Ok. Thanks for the clarification.
Still a good trade for the Knicks IMO simply because signing a big coming off a serious injury to a max contract is a giant risk. DSJ is also being underrated, he can ball.
I think Dallas is taking on a lot of the risk here but of course it could pay off big if KP returns to previous form.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Same story every year - “it’s different this time!” New York is a great city but nobody has any desire to play for James Dolan. I mean the Melo Years has some good teams and they made it out of the first round what, once? I don’t think any player is seriously interested in the Knicks outside of the fact they can offer the most $$.

Well, we'll wait and see until the off-season. Happy to eat crow if I'm wrong.

Even still, I think KP's value was a lot lower than people perceived. Even if you don't use it this off-season, cap space is proving to be a major commodity in the NBA as long as max contracts are a thing. This is a good trade, Knicks made the most of a bad situation.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

I get its the Nets but they are so much better ran.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad