Trade: [NY/DAL] Porzingis, Burke, Hardaway, and Lee for 2021 and 2023 1sts, DAJ, Matthews, and DSJ

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
...by why?

Trading a Porzingod at 23 doesn’t seem to make sense from any level. Unless he requested a trade, why not qualify him and let him earn a contract next season?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

The reporting of this was interesting. Woj seemed to be tweeting in real time as he got more info and sent out a tweet of a list of teams that were expected to express interest. Then about 20 minutes later the trade was done to a team not on Woj's list, which means it was already likely a done deal or very close when Woj sent out the tweets.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Well, we'll wait and see until the off-season. Happy to eat crow if I'm wrong.

Even still, I think KP's value was a lot lower than people perceived. Even if you don't use it this off-season, cap space is proving to be a major commodity in the NBA as long as max contracts are a thing. This is a good trade, Knicks made the most of a bad situation.

The risk with him is the torn ACL but at least at his young age it'll be a lot easier to heal and come back from such an injury. Cap space is great but unless you use it right, its useless.

I get its the Nets but they are so much better ran.

I agree 100%. They haven't had a 1st in years yet did their rebuild faster than the Knicks. Embarrassing.

The reporting of this was interesting. Woj seemed to be tweeting in real time as he got more info and sent out a tweet of a list of teams that were expected to express interest. Then about 20 minutes later the trade was done to a team not on Woj's list, which means it was already likely a done deal or very close when Woj sent out the tweets.

It was a classic case of a team leaking that Player X is unhappy and wants to be traded... right before a trade so they don't look like the bad guy/idiots.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
What's being lost in this is that THJ was traded for an older crappier version of himself lmao.
Long term it depends on the picks coming back and how they pan out, but I would sure hate to be feeling the wrath NY management will have over the next few months.

That being said KP is over rated injury prone fodder. He wasn't going to do jack **** leading that team. But Dallas on the other hand is a perfect fit as a secondary scorer/stretch 4 which they don't have. So it depends how he bounces back.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Worse deal; this for the knicks or Karlsson deal for sens?
Karlsson
They shed salary, at the very least they're going to sign a name like Boogie/Randle in the off season.
Sens didn't anywhere close to a comparable as DSJ, and 2 1st's are nice. KP is a product of the New York media, I mean he's alright but like Markanen good, not Durant good

*of course it's different with a UFA veteren vs these young players. But Sens got do-do and the Knicks did get better off for a torched earth rebuild

Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Karlsson
They shed salary, at the very least they're going to sign a name like Boogie/Randle in the off season.
Sens didn't anywhere close to a comparable as DSJ, and 2 1st's are nice. KP is a product of the New York media, I mean he's alright but like Markanen good, not Durant good

*of course it's different with a UFA veteren vs these young players. But Sens got do-do and the Knicks did get better off for a torched earth rebuild

Maybe if Lauri was also a top 3 rim protector, while being even more dangerous a scorer...

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Maybe if Lauri was also a top 3 rim protector, while being even more dangerous a scorer...
Since when is he a top 3 rim protector?? The Knicks have been one of the most trash defensive front courts since he entered the league. Granted there's been a black hole at the 5, but that's again when his unique skill/size gets twisted with his actual impact on the court (at least right now)
He needs to bulk up and maybe he can get there one day.

And i'll 100% disagree with KP being the better scorer right now, but he does no doubt have a higher ceiling in the right environment. He also might just be flat out too soft for this league, I have watched a decent amount of Knicks games and I just don't see the hype personally, but I do love the fit in Dallas.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Say what you want about the trade and I certainly think they sold low but the Knicks have some actual assets now to go along with the cap space. Knox, Smith, two future Mavs 1sts, and their own picks is a lot to play with on the trade market if that's what they wish to do.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Since when is he a top 3 rim protector?? The Knicks have been one of the most trash defensive front courts since he entered the league. Granted there's been a black hole at the 5, but that's again when his unique skill/size gets twisted with his actual impact on the court (at least right now)
He needs to bulk up and maybe he can get there one day.

And i'll 100% disagree with KP being the better scorer right now, but he does no doubt have a higher ceiling in the right environment. He also might just be flat out too soft for this league, I have watched a decent amount of Knicks games and I just don't see the hype personally, but I do love the fit in Dallas.

Opponents % at the rim with him around & their points per paint possession with KP within 5 feet of the rim, and a lot of other rim protection metrics put KP in extraordinary company in that respect...even if KP's misuses on the perimeter & his injuries, not to mention the garbage defenders he's had to clean up for, have limited his overall impact on the Knicks D. Kid could absolutely win DPOY more than once.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Say what you want about the trade and I certainly think they sold low but the Knicks have some actual assets now to go along with the cap space. Knox, Smith, two future Mavs 1sts, and their own picks is a lot to play with on the trade market if that's what they wish to do.

Those Mavs picks really don't have that much value.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

So by that condition they may only walk away with one 1st round pick not two?

Laughable trade from NY and I hope once again they come up empty in FA with cap/roster open like they have every time they have tried in past 20 years

Also Knick fans/NY media trashing KP and eating up the leaks from Knick organization is another reason for FA's to avoid NY

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
The pick and pop is going to be dirty next year. This is a reincarnation of Nash/Dirk in the early 2000’s. Kristaps and Luka just became the best young duo that are going to rival Ben and Embiid. Their playing styles fit so well together because Luka’s court vision is off the charts and he’s going to be able to feed Porzingis on the block all day long. I’m going to be watching so many Mavericks games next year. This trade proves the Knicks organizational dysfunction is beyond fathomable and that it won’t be easy to fix. They won’t be getting Zion unless they trade the pieces they just acquired. You just got Deandre who is a good center in this league along with DSJ who is athletically gifted and able to create his own shot off the dribble. Pair with that Zo, Frank and Knox and the Knicks are looking like a team that would end up around 11th in the east, subsequently taking them out of the conversation for Zion. This trade makes no sense for the Knicks in any way. They just cleared up cap space for free agents that will never ever join them. There is no chance Ky/KD/Klay/Kawhi/Kemba see this ineptitude and want to join the Knicks. They also just got rid of their franchise cornerstone. Who’s going to want to go there now? I have no clue how people still like the Knicks. Right across the bridge, DLo and the Nets are playing amazing basketball. It’s amazing to me how the Nets had no picks for 4 years but still have a better roster than the Knicks. I feel bad for Knicks fans.

Reactions: No More Subban

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I really do hope he sticks in Dallas because him and Doncic could be a very fun team to watch for a very long time and what a great thing for European fans as well. The marketing appeal is huge, especially at a franchise that already had Dirk.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Knicks are banking on 2 max slot free agents and the first overall pick this off season.

Does Kyrie want to play there? What about KD as he's gonna be looking for the max contract as well.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Can someone explain to me this? The NBA CBA is always the most confusing to me

I assume this is a positive for Mavs

Teams can trade for 1.25x the salary they send out, in such cases...or in case where a team with capspace is trading its capspace for a player...a TPE (Traded Player Exception) is created that a team can use to trade for other players. A TPE can not be combined with another salary but Dallas could trade for a player owed less than the TPE amount without sending anyone back.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I don't know why anyone would want to play for the Knicks and I don't understand why some in the media play this "Everyone wants to play at Madison Square Garden" card. They don't.

This is a great trade for the Mavericks. They look like they could be Western Conference contenders again real soon.

I have a feeling Dennis Smith Jr is not going to have a happy stay in New York. He's now the main guy they just traded their young star for and after no one wants to sign with the Knicks, he will be even more scrutinized and will want out. If Kemba Walker leaves and the Hornets don't get another young point guard in return, I could see a scenario, perhaps as early as next year, where Jordan snags him and he becomes the new young budding star to build around.

As a Hornets fan, I'd love this if it were to happen. But because I am a Hornets fan, I'm not allowed to have nice things so none of this will happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->