Confirmed with Link: Nurse Re-Signed (2 years / $3.2M per)

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Some people are much more prone to infection due to compromised immunity. With such susceptibility come more infections, of various kinds. so thus more time lost through recurring bouts. Not entirely unlike injury, the lost time effect is the same.

What on Earth does this have to do with the Nurse signing? ;)

Klefbom is a professional hockey player who plays for the same team as Nurse (Edmonton Oilers) and thus we were using him as a point of comparison with regards to contracts (generally), specifically how Klefbom's long-term extension was more warranted at the time when compared to what options the team was exploring with Nurse at the present time.

Hope that clears things up.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I mean, if you're arguing that a player is injury prone I feel like we shouldn't be counting freak accidents. Same with Hall getting stepped on in the warmup.
This team has defended freak accidents for years.

Until a guy can constantly play 80ish games a year he is injury prone.

Reactions: Summary

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The Oilers come out blazing this season. Just pedal to the metal, Here's hoping they shut the rest of HF up after a strong start.
I just wish they weren’t starting the season in Europe. I can’t see that helping out there start. They’ll need to readjust to the time zones and they only have two games in the first week or so.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Good deal for the team and player. Let's hope Darnell can gain some consistency to his game going forward.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I saw this before.

"Not really a hockey injury, he hurt his ankle playing basketball"

"Not really an injury that he should have if he stops fighting"

"Just a fluke accident where the blueline came out of nowhere"

My favourite might've been about hemmer "Can't hurt his shoulder anymore than it is already". Shortly after he really ****s it up and gone.
If we’re talking about freak accidents, the one that really bugged me was when Gagner took his glove off sitting on the bench. He let his bare hand rest on the railing and it got sliced by a skate from a guy jumping over the boards. One of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen a hockey player do.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It's not about skills, it's about opportunity and I don't see Nurse getting the kind of chances that get D men paid.

So for cap inflation to take care of the jump from $4.875M (Matheson's deal) to $6M, we'd need a 23% increase in the cap in like two years.
3 years... Matheson signed last October. If he signed now... it would already be over $5 million.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Nurse had no leverage, and when Morrissey signed that set the market. ANY GM could have made this happen.

47583467.jpg

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
Nurse interview comments summarized (w/ Gregor):

- Wanted to get back on the ice as soon as possible - understands that negotiations are just a part of the business
- Excited to get a chance to be more involved offensively under Yawney
- Spoke about working with Adam Oates ... yadda yadda ... status quo
- Skated with Upshall at Biosteel - templated answer, but leadership is important and he mentioned that Scottie is a likeable guy
- PK lacked commitment last year (seemed to think the system wasn't the problem)

Basic stuff.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Nurse interview comments summarized (w/ Gregor):

- Wanted to get back on the ice as soon as possible - understands that negotiations are just a part of the business
- Excited to get a chance to be more involved offensively under Yawney
- Spoke about working with Adam Oates ... yadda yadda ... status quo
- Skated with Upshall at Biosteel - templated answer, but leadership is important and he mentioned that Scottie is a likeable guy
- PK lacked commitment last year (seemed to think the system wasn't the problem)

Basic stuff.

That last comment was oh so evident last season. Here's hoping that I never again hear an Oiler talk about a lack of commitment.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
If you are comparing this situation to the UFA signings there really is no comparison.

Benning, Caggiula. Both RFAs and overpaid anywhere from 200k to 500k. Kassian was an RFA too looking at cap friendly, and that's another say 400k overpay. Little overpays that add up when he easily could have played hardball.

The UFAs are overpays too, but I agree that's apples to oranges.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Benning, Caggiula. Both RFAs and overpaid anywhere from 200k to 500k. The UFAs are overpays too, but I agree that's apples to oranges.

Yeah...the UFA overpays dont count. Virtually every UFA gets overpaid. Player has all the leverage.

As for the other RFA contracts...IIRC Benning had arb rights which changes the nature of the negotiation...gives more leverage to the player.
Not sure about Caggiula.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Cheap deal... and the Oilers win by getting a 2 year deal instead of having Nurse go to arbitration next summer and likely getting $4.5 to $5 million.

Nurse is a team player and not greedy like most here seem to think.

He'll now get his payday in 2 years with cap inflation and his progression and the Oilers will be paying out $6-7 million on his next contract. In the next 2 years they have a cheap top 4 dman though.

Good deal for all.

you don't know that. (neither do I, actually)
for all we know he is greedy and just knew he had a losing hand.

Reactions: Summary

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This gives us 2 years to move out one of Russell or Sekera, maybe even both so that Darnell can get a big raise if he earns it.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Yeah...the UFA overpays dont count. Virtually every UFA gets overpaid. Player has all the leverage.

As for the other RFA contracts...IIRC Benning had arb rights which changes the nature of the negotiation...gives more leverage to the player.
Not sure about Caggiula.

I think even in Arbitration we could have had Benning at something like 1.6mill.

Regardless, I'll drop it here as I like this signing and am relieved Nurse can join Camp now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think even in Arbitration we could have had Benning at something like 1.6mill.

Regardless, I'll drop it here as I like this signing and am relieved Nurse can join Camp now.

The thing is for me that we cant say with any certainty that Benning was a big overpay. We can however state with certainty that UFA's are not a comparable.

So that leaves me with the sense that Chia hasnt done all that badly overall with RFA signings.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Nobody said that.

many thought Chia would cave for that much, but a few people said he was worth 4 on a bridge.

here's one. too lazy to look further.

like McFlash97-
"whats your definition of overpay ? 3.5 million ? 3.75 mill ? 4 mill ? Thats just at league average slightly above. How is that overpay ? That's where Nurse should be. :huh:. The point is to pay him what he is worth , If you undercut players then players will sit out. He's not asking for much. If its a bridge why would he sign for less then the league average ? :skeptic:. Who knows what could happen in 2 years.."

and he also said
"3.25 is the number being thrown around. Sure undercut the guy, but at least come up with a reasonable offer. 3.25 is gross. Probably the reason Nurse picked up his sh*** and said f*** it. Call me when you have a reasonable offer. Organization is an embarrassment."​

Reactions: rboomercat90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad