Confirmed with Link: Nurse Re-Signed (2 years / $3.2M per)

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
3 years... Matheson signed last October. If he signed now... it would already be over $5 million.

If the cap continues to jump by 6% per year for the next two seasons (which seems unlikely), an equivalent deal to Matheson's signed in two year's time would be around $5.75M per.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Y’know, I always used to regret the Oilers passing on Risto, but nowadays I’m really happy Nurse is here and seems to dig the team. He’ll be a good one for a while yet. Or maybe he won’t, who knows, but, optimism.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
This gives us 2 years to move out one of Russell or Sekera, maybe even both so that Darnell can get a big raise if he earns it.

The Oilers are paying too many defenseman 4+ mil. For Klefbom and Larsson its fine (good for Larsson, good if Klefbom bounces back). I was somewhat hopeful on Sekera bouncing back but after this injury, its not likely going to happen.

The Oilers defense core should be Larsson, Klefbom, Nurse and Bouchard in the future. They should be able to add in guys like Bear, Jones, Samourokov, Berglund, Laggesson, etc if those guys pan out.

The Oilers future doesnt look too bad, but they need to find a way to shed the Lucic, Sekera, Russell contracts in the next few years.

Reactions: ujju2

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I am liking how we overpaid and we are screwed because he'll want 8mil.

Which is it? He either sucks or he's great.
My guess is Flames trolls want to rag on the current deal/player and Leafs trolls hope we are screwed in 2 years and forced to trade McDavid to them

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Nurse interview comments summarized (w/ Gregor):

- Wanted to get back on the ice as soon as possible - understands that negotiations are just a part of the business
- Excited to get a chance to be more involved offensively under Yawney
- Spoke about working with Adam Oates ... yadda yadda ... status quo
- Skated with Upshall at Biosteel - templated answer, but leadership is important and he mentioned that Scottie is a likeable guy
- PK lacked commitment last year (seemed to think the system wasn't the problem)

Basic stuff.

didn't name drop Paul Coffey?

No red wine case for Xmas. ;)

Anyway, still thrilled with this news, you did good Chia, you did good. Would have preferred Longterm but that's costs more.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
If the cap continues to jump by 6% per year for the next two seasons (which seems unlikely), an equivalent deal to Matheson's signed in two year's time would be around $5.75M per.

Yes... $5.8 million actually... but I also expect Nurse to improve somewhat over the next 2 seasons which is why I think $6 million is the base and negotiations will start from there.

Any moderate improvement and you are likely looking at the $6.5-7 million range.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Nurse > Risto.

Ristolainen is unfortunate to be stuck on that hole of a team that is Buffalo.

He's faced tough comp and had tougher zone starts than Nurse as well so I personally cut Ristolainen some slack.

I would rate Nurse>Risto as well... but not by much and before Nurse took his jump up last season I would definitely have given the edge to Ristolainen.

Reactions: Aerrol

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
It's 200k more than I thought, but well within reason. I'm happy with this deal.

Really glad Nurse will be in camp now.
:scared:

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Just curious...why would you think that it would be $200K lower?

In the first Nurse (Bridge or not to Bridge) thread I said 3mil avg over 2 years was a reasonable offer. Just going by what I thought the deal was going to be at.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
In the first Nurse (Bridge or not to Bridge) thread I said 3mil avg over 2 years was a reasonable offer. Just going by what I thought the deal was going to be at.

The thing is that there really wasnt going to be an accurate reference point until comparable players like Morrissey signed.
So based on the actual comparables the Nurse contract is not an overpay at all...its right on the mark.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We are eligible to re-sign him next summer, and I hope we do. I don't want to do this again in two years, and quite frankly I think his stock will go up steadily so a long term deal ASAP is still in our best interests

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
The thing is that there really wasnt going to be an accurate reference point until comparable players like Morrissey signed.
So based on the actual comparables the Nurse contract is not an overpay at all...its right on the mark.

Ryan Murray's contract was a good starting point. Last couple years he hasn't improved much, but Darnell has. So it was going to be close to what he was going to get. I thought so anyways.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
So this leaves you with 3 true top 4 guys (Larsson, Klefbom, Nurse), 1 guy that can pull spot duty there, but is ideally on the 3rd pairing (Russell); 3 or 4 3rd pairing guys (Benning, Gravel, Jarabek, Garrison), and 3/4 pospects knocking at the door (Bear, Jones, Bouchard, and Lagesson).

Feels a lot like 16/17 (you could say last year, but this group is deeper), where you can look to 8 guys can step up and carry the load. The issue is there is zero margin for injury or sloppy play from the main guys is zero. Sekera's injury really puts the team in an unconfortable spot.

The good new is you're down to needing 1 good body to round out the defence. Even a guy like Myers would have it looking good. Not saying he's avalible, but moreso that tier of player for example...

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Myers
Russell-Jarabek

In short they don't need a massive name, they just need someone competent.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Didn't nurse have comparable underlying stats to Provorov? Granted, he's older so that may be why, but I think Nurse is going to surprise a ton of people this year. As last year ended, he looked like a stud.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Ryan Murray's contract was a good starting point. Last couple years he hasn't improved much, but Darnell has. So it was going to be close to what he was going to get. I thought so anyways.

Ryan Murray was not a comparable for Nurse. Why would you think that?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
So this leaves you with 3 true top 4 guys (Larsson, Klefbom, Nurse), 1 guy that can pull spot duty there, but is ideally on the 3rd pairing (Russell); 3 or 4 3rd pairing guys (Benning, Gravel, Jarabek, Garrison), and 3/4 pospects knocking at the door (Bear, Jones, Bouchard, and Lagesson).

In short they don't need a massive name, they just need someone competent.
if healthy we have 5 top 4 Dmen on the squad.
I would still welcome Faulk here.

Reactions: Dazed and Confused

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
if healthy we have 5 top 4 Dmen on the squad.
I would still welcome Faulk here.

I'd have a lot of time for Faulk. He has his warts, but his strengths do aline with the team's needs, and I think he could find a role and partner here that shelters him adequately. Play him with the Russell who always looks to cover for his partner, and let Nurse and Klefbom drive the even strength offence and tranisition play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->