Confirmed with Link: Nurse Re-Signed (2 years / $3.2M per)

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Oh man, these days, easily . Those first few years though, the way he was romping up and down the ice like a stud, Risto was looking pretty sick. Stalled developments being what they are though.
Risto has never romped up and down the ice.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
One quick scroll on the mains and "Lolz the Oilers overpaid for a mediocre defenseman" "The Oilers are screwed in 2 years when he wants 8m per"
Idiots everywhere I look

stoppppp looking in the mirror :D

but seriously, ignore the mains, we can never do anything right according to them. Although, there are a lot saying we did well.... but 8 mill for nurse ? I'm not a fan of Nurse, neither is @RaabHart , but if Nurse becomes a player that earns 8 mill per year in 2 years... even the two of us will be doing backflips :P

Reactions: Raab

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
We are eligible to re-sign him next summer, and I hope we do. I don't want to do this again in two years, and quite frankly I think his stock will go up steadily so a long term deal ASAP is still in our best interests

I think if Nurse comes off a 30+ point season with solid defensive numbers, we see a 8 year 5.75 mill/year dear offered to him

Reactions: bucks_oil

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Not really impressed with any Oilers defensemen except Larsson. Hope Nurse continues to grow into the role of a top 4. Never been that impressed with his hockey IQ. At least they didn't overpay for 0nce.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
That last comment was oh so evident last season. Here's hoping that I never again hear an Oiler talk about a lack of commitment.
I didn’t understand the last comment. Who exactly lacked commitment? Was it the players, was it the coaches or both? I’m actually a little disturbed by that.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I didn’t understand the last comment. Who exactly lacked commitment? Was it the players, was it the coaches or both? I’m actually a little disturbed by that.

It was very clear to me (and I posted about it all season) that the players were not committed to the effort required to be successful.

I think that many players addressed this in the TC interviews when they stated that as a team (based on their success the previous season) they thought success was going to be easy.

I think it was a good lesson.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It was very clear to me (and I posted about it all season) that the players were not committed to the effort required to be successful.
That was the conclusion management came to as well. Let’s hope they were right. It’s just odd to me to hear a player admit it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That was the conclusion management came to as well. Let’s hope they were right. It’s just odd to me to hear a player admit it.

Sorry...made a late edit.

I think that many players addressed this in the TC interviews when they stated that as a team (based on their success the previous season) they thought success was going to be easy.

I think (hope) it was a good lesson.

Last edited:
Reactions: rboomercat90

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
I love this contract. Two years to grow from where he left off last year, and without the pressure of a huge payday.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think he was a great comparable player and contract for Nurse.

Well, who else at that time would have been a better comparable?

Outside of Morrissey I think that Trouba was about the best comparable and his contract was discounted slightly.
So without the Morrissey signing...a $3M 2 year contract for Nurse was exceedingly optimistic.

A $3.2M AAV for Nurse is great IMO.

In terms of Ryan Murray...I am wondering why you though he was a good comparable?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Not really impressed with any Oilers defensemen except Larsson. Hope Nurse continues to grow into the role of a top 4. Never been that impressed with his hockey IQ. At least they didn't overpay for 0nce.

Yes hopefully he does continue to grow into the role of a top pairing Dman and also continues to make those who still insist on talking about low hockey IQ look ignorant.

Reactions: Senor Catface

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
The fact that Nurse and Strome got almost the same contract is nuts to me.

Very good deal for Chia.

Reactions: A91

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The fact that Nurse and Strome got almost the same contract is nuts to me.

Very good deal for Chia.
Nurse didn't have to be qualified at 3M but Yeh this shows how Chia overpaid for both Strome and Benning.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
They both play LD, about the same age, close offensive stats, both sit #4 on the depth chart in their respective teams.

Why wasn't he a good comparable to look at?

Jacob Trouba's 5.5mil is fine for Nurse over a much longer deal and probably would have been done if Chiarelli had the cap space. Trouba's previous contract would most likely have been closer to 3.5mil now and that would have been a overpay for the Oilers for Nurse at this time. But Trouba is also a RHD so garners a bit more of a premium. I prefer to try and compare LD to LD.

Those contact negotiations were very ugly from what I remember (talking heads on tv were speculating he wanted 7mil per) and Trouba wanted out of the Peg. And was asking the same 7mil this year with his arbitration deal.

Not the same circumstances at all with Darnell.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Big signing and done early enough in camp. He can easily be one of our top dmen this year. Let him loose !!

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
We are eligible to re-sign him next summer, and I hope we do. I don't want to do this again in two years, and quite frankly I think his stock will go up steadily so a long term deal ASAP is still in our best interests

I'm pretty sure they can't re-sign him till January 1st, not the summer.

Don't quote me on that though. ;)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Strome is not overpaid, he is paid what he's worth, 30-35 point 3C are worth 3m on every day that ends in Y.
Pretty sure Brodziak scored 30+ points as well and unlike Strome he isn't shitty on the dot and didn't score easy points. Strome is a dime a dozen forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad