Confirmed with Link: Nurse Re-Signed (2 years / $3.2M per)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm a little surprised Nurse didn't push more for a 1 year deal.

This year he might get some good PP time to boost his numbers. Next year he'll be back behind Klefbom, Sekera, and likely one of Bear or Bouchard.
They probably did push for the 1 year but that would of been incredibly stupid for the Oilers to agree too. Chia was like, yeah okay, 1 year 2 mill.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Signed until the next lockout. If he earns a major deal maybe the Oilers will have some charity buyouts to work with.

Lrrr

Omicron Persei 8
Apr 7, 2010
Edmonton
Let them celebrate their "victory" over the Chia haters. It speaks volumes how low the bar has been set.
I am happy with the terms of the deal, but I tend to agree with you. It's not like Chia had much choice. With the cap space we had, he basically had no choice to but have a final offer in the 3-3.2m range and not budge. I could have negotiated that deal.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I am happy with the terms of the deal, but I tend to agree with you. It's not like Chia had much choice. With the cap space we had, he basically had no choice to but have a final offer in the 3-3.2m range and not budge. I could have negotiated that deal.
After Morrissey's contract this was pretty much a slam dunk. Nurse probably shouldn't have been paid more than him but I have no complaints.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Lol. And one look at it and the league rejects it and the Oilers get *****ed at by the NHLPA.
Just get them to watch him out on the ice. Don't think anyone can watch the guy play and think he's in shape.
Perfect example of how some aren’t happy unless the team loses.
I stated I was perfectly fine with the deal. The GM not f***ing up a slam dunk contract shouldn't be cause for celebration, and it's sad that it is.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Perfect example of how some aren’t happy unless the team loses.
It's funny. I hate Chia as much as some. But I don't look for more and more reasons to hate or constantly bring shit up. I dislike him. He makes bad moves and signings. However he has made good ones.

Chia held out. Let a direct comparable sign and broke the stalemate. It's a win no matter how "easy" or anyone could do it. Chia signed Nurse for pretty much market value and didn't just pony up just cause.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Never in doubt. The player always caves in these situations.
Fair deal and the Oilers will be better equipped to sign Nurse long term in 2 years so it's really a win win for both parties.

Last edited:

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
didn't he sign Klefbom to a nice deal too?
MacT was pushing hard for a renewal before he was replaced and I've heard that negotiations were ongoing before Chia even took over but yes, Klefbom was renewed while Chia was the GM and outside of the McDavid contract it's the best contract on the team.

Lrrr

Omicron Persei 8
Apr 7, 2010
Edmonton
didn't he sign Klefbom to a nice deal too?

The Klefbom deal will likely go down as his best longterm deal here. But even at the time he signed it, Klef was still very unproven and the deal had potential to be very bad. This is a contract I would actually give major kudos to Chia for.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
The Klefbom deal will likely go down as his best longterm deal here. But even at the time he signed it, Klef was still very unproven and the deal had potential to be very bad. This is a contract I would actually give major kudos to Chia for.
Disagree on this. Klefbom was trending upwards in a huge way and already had fantastic analytics when the deal was signed. I don't think it was as big of a risk as some people think. It was a great piece of business to get an emerging top pairing dman locked up long-term for a steal of a cap hit.

Lrrr

Omicron Persei 8
Apr 7, 2010
Edmonton
Disagree on this. Klefbom was trending upwards in a huge way and already had fantastic analytics when the deal was signed. I don't think it was as big of a risk as some people think. It was a great piece of business to get an emerging top pairing dman locked up long-term for a steal of a cap hit.

Fair enough. However, he was (and still is) very injury prone. The three seasons he played before the contract, he played a total of 107 games, with no more than 20 points in a season and a total +/- of -32. I never really looked at his advanced stats back then, so maybe you could show me, but there still seems to be a lot of risk for a long term 4M deal.

And just to be clear, I really like Klefbom.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
The Oilers come out blazing this season. Just pedal to the metal, Here's hoping they shut the rest of HF up after a strong start.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Fair enough. However, he was (and still is) very injury prone. The three seasons he played before the contract, he played a total of 107 games, with no more than 20 points in a season and a total +/- of -32. I never really looked at his advanced stats back then, so maybe you could show me, but there still seems to be a lot of risk for a long term 4M deal.

And just to be clear, I really like Klefbom.
The year before he signed his deal he had excellent CF% and xGF% numbers playing top pairing minutes as a 21 year old, and also had 15 ES points. His raw GF/GA numbers weren't great but he had a low PDO that year due to having to play in front of Scrivens. Several analytics people were touting him as a stud that season and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Tyler Dellow had a hand in that contract.

Lrrr

Omicron Persei 8
Apr 7, 2010
Edmonton
The year before he signed his deal he had excellent CF% and xGF% numbers playing top pairing minutes as a 21 year old, and also had 15 ES points. His raw GF/GA numbers weren't great but he had a low PDO that year due to having to play in front of Scrivens. Several analytics people were touting him as a stud that season and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Tyler Dellow had a hand in that contract.

Yeah, fair enough. If the analytics looked good, then I'd agree they probably played a substantial role in the negotiations. I still think the GP for me was the big risk before signing though. You basically got less than 1.5 seasons to judge his play (and the season before the contract was signed he played only 30 games).

Anyway, this is getting a bit off topic. Anyone have point predictions for Nurse this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad