Confirmed with Link: Nurse Re-Signed (2 years / $3.2M per)

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
This sets up our defense well for the future. If Nurse keeps improving there will be the needed cap space to sign him long term in two years.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Good deal. Badly needed him to start this season too.

And I really could never fault the management team for doing the bridge even if Nurse explodes offensively. It's a very reasonable chance to take.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
BlindMistyLemming.webp
I should add....next up - come one down Justin Faulk....make it happen Chia!

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Nice signing.... I don't see the downside of a bridge. If Nurse already has in his head he's a #3, I can agree to that.... if he goes out for two years and shows he's a number 2, what's the delta? An extra $1.5M in exchange for a fair value contract on a (now better) known quantity? How can you complain about that as a GM?

It only makes sense to go long when they player is willing to sign for less than the FMV of what they think they are/will become. If they already want to get paid like that guy, then you might as well bridge while you can.

Great job all around.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yay!!!! Nurse got signed, Nurse got signed.

Great deal.

Said yesterday it would happen today or tomorrow, said he would get more than Morrissey…;)

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Good good, I wonder, if after Morrissey signed, Nurse's camp said they wanted more then Morrissey, and the Oilers obliged them.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'm a little surprised Nurse didn't push more for a 1 year deal.

This year he might get some good PP time to boost his numbers. Next year he'll be back behind Klefbom, Sekera, and likely one of Bear or Bouchard.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Cheap deal... and the Oilers win by getting a 2 year deal instead of having Nurse go to arbitration next summer and likely getting $4.5 to $5 million.

Nurse is a team player and not greedy like most here seem to think.

He'll now get his payday in 2 years with cap inflation and his progression and the Oilers will be paying out $6-7 million on his next contract. In the next 2 years they have a cheap top 4 dman though.

Good deal for all.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Thanks Winnipeg. That Morrissey contract backed Nurse into a corner. He wasn't getting significantly more than a defenceman who, unlike Nurse, has shown capable of handling top pairing work.

Good on Chiarelli for waiting Nurse out.

Reactions: Little Fury

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Get your ass back on the next flight to Edmonton, Darnell.

We’re glad to have you back!!

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
If he performs well this season maybe they extend him long term next year instead of waiting the full 2 years.

I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure he won't be eligible for an extension until January 1, 2020.

Long enough into the second year that both sides know what they're getting into, essentially.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Cheap deal... and the Oilers win by getting a 2 year deal instead of having Nurse go to arbitration next summer and likely getting $4.5 to $5 million.

Nurse is a team player and not greedy like most here seem to think.

He'll now get his payday in 2 years with cap inflation and his progression and the Oilers will be paying out $6-7 million on his next contract. In the next 2 years they have a cheap top 4 dman though.

Good deal for all.

$6M would be the absolute outer marker for Nurse's next contract IMO unless he blows up into a 40-50 point guy, which I doubt he does without PP time.

Reactions: McGhost Division

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure he won't be eligible for an extension until January 1, 2020.

Long enough into the second year that both sides know what they're getting into, essentially.
Thy can extend him on July 1, 2019 if they like. It would actually not surprise me to see this happen.

Reactions: oXo Cube

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Very happy with an AAV of $3.2M for 2 years. Very fair for both sides.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
$6M would be the absolute outer marker for Nurse's next contract IMO unless he blows up into a 40-50 point guy, which I doubt he does without PP time.

Bingo.

Unless he shows something he hasn't even shown the slightest glimpse of so far, $6 million is a pipe dream. At his current trajectory, I don't see him being worth much more than $4.5 million.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00