Confirmed with Link: Nurse Re-Signed (2 years / $3.2M per)

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
$6M would be the absolute outer marker for Nurse's next contract IMO unless he blows up into a 40-50 point guy, which I doubt he does without PP time.

We all get to wait and see what his performance is like over the next 2 years and what that next contract will be. $6 million will be the base level... it's all up from there... but again we all get to watch and see, that's what bridge deals are for... the team to see what they have and the player to prove what they are.

It's a gamble for both sides.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
OZhSm2l.gif

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Bingo.

Unless he shows something he hasn't even shown the slightest glimpse of so far, $6 million is a pipe dream. At his current trajectory, I don't see him being worth much more than $4.5 million.

I agree with this and that contract would mean that the Oilers have their 3 best dmen all under contract in the $4M - $4.5M range.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
We all get to wait and see what his performance is like over the next 2 years and what that next contract will be. $6 million will be the base level... it's all up from there... but again we all get to watch and see, that's what bridge deals are for... the team to see what they have and the player to prove what they are.

How many defensemen in the league are making $6M+? There's not many. I just can't imagine Nurse propelling himself into that tier.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
How many defensemen in the league are making $6M+? There's not many. I just can't imagine Nurse propelling himself into that tier.

More to the point, that sounds like the best problem the Oilers have had to deal with since they were forced to choose between Hall and Seguin.

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
Good on Darnell for getting it done. I had some worry that this would drag out beyond camp, which most likely would have led to a slow start for Nurse.

Now go show them how much more you'll be worth before this deal ends, buddy.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

How do you end up with $6M as a base level? If Nurse stays in the 25-30 point range, he's not getting $6M a year even with cap inflation.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Ill be curious if all the posters who were bitching and whining that Chia wasn't giving Nurse whatever he wanted, up to 4 mil, and it showed his incompetence that he couldn't sign him, come running to this thread with their tail between their legs.
I doubt it but it would be nice. And surprising.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Where are all the people who were criticizing the team and whining that they should roll over and give Nurse $4 million a year just to get him back? The sky wasn’t falling after all. Sometimes these deals take time to get done. Nurse had no leverage and was going to have to sign for what the Oilers were offering at some point. I hope this is a sign of things to come in that the team uses the rules of the CBA to keep costs down.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
How do you end up with $6M as a base level? If Nurse stays in the 25-30 point range, he's not getting $6M a year even with cap inflation.

Matheson is making almost $5 million now and that was signed last October.

The equivalent contract (signed 3 summers later) will be at a minimum $6 million considering cap inflation and the fact that Nurse will have 2 more years to improve his skills. (Assuming an approximate 7% cap growth rate per year).

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Matheson is making almost $5 million now and that was signed last October.

The equivalent contract (signed 3 summers later) will be at a minimum $6 million considering cap inflation and the fact that Nurse will have 2 more years to improve his skills.

It's not about skills, it's about opportunity and I don't see Nurse getting the kind of chances that get D men paid.

So for cap inflation to take care of the jump from $4.875M (Matheson's deal) to $6M, we'd need a 23% increase in the cap in like two years.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad