Confirmed with Link: [NSH/MIN] Fiala for Granlund

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
That's your opinion. I say it's well earned and if fans think they deserve it then there is absolutely nothing lame about it.
I know it's my opinion and people can do what they want but I guess it maybe comes back to me not caring. I was never a big Suter fan so when he left I was just kinda like that's a bummer. It didn't bother me. He was a good player but I just saw it as Weber being awesome and Suter was just along for the ride on his coattails. Radulov sucked to lose but I don't blame him and at least he came back and kept his home here and everything. Vesey is whatever. Unless his dad is on the ice there's no point in booing to me. Jimmy himself didn't do anything to us he just did what his dad told him to do.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I know it's my opinion and people can do what they want but I guess it maybe comes back to me not caring. I was never a big Suter fan so when he left I was just kinda like that's a bummer. It didn't bother me. He was a good player but I just saw it as Weber being awesome and Suter was just along for the ride on his coattails. Radulov sucked to lose but I don't blame him and at least he came back and kept his home here and everything. Vesey is whatever. Unless his dad is on the ice there's no point in booing to me.
I think you should just continue to not care and let those that did do their thing.

I'm a Preds fan, I root for the logo on the Jersey. They messed with that logo so they will always draw my ire. I could care less who or what the name on the back is. It's one reason I didn't give a hoot we traded Weber, cause he tried as well.

Reactions: braindead

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I think you should just continue to not care and let those that did do their thing.

I'm a Preds fan, I root for the logo on the Jersey. They messed with that logo so they will always draw my ire. I could care less who or what the name on the back is. It's one reason I didn't give a hoot we traded Weber, cause he tried as well.
I literally just said people can do what they want. But it's whatever. I didn't really mind if people booed until we did it to Radulov in Weber's first game back and it seemed to light a fire under him. He had a goal and assist and was easily the best player that night and I was convinced the booing led to that

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Wild fan in peace. It's been a while now, thoughts on MiG? I will always have a huge soft spot for him, and Fiala will no doubt turn into a fine player.... But man, granny was one of my favs. Enough so that when we get bounced out in the first round (or more likely at this point don't make the playoffs) I'll become a bandwagon preds fan for the rest of the post season.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Haven't been super impressed tbh. Certainly not to the level that Wild fans have talked him up.

Yeah he's been fine, but I honestly don't think he's given us much of a boost over what Fiala was providing other than being less turnover prone. I saw a fair amount of talk about how he would be on par with our top line wingers, but I have yet to see it.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I think he's been fine. We're more of a score by committee team. He wasn't gonna come here and score a point per game, he's just a good talent. If we're looking for reasons to be disappointed, he's probably not making a lot of mistakes, and right now I'm fine with that.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
he's been pretty disappointing. the only upgrade has been no boneheaded plays and turnovers fiala would make.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I think next year when he has a training camp with the team and can settle in with some linemates he will return to the form he had with Minnesota.
i think so too. for now though, he has been underwhelming.

i think his linemates have held him back a bit with not much chemistry. i believe the original plan was to put him with turris.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Sorry to hear he hasn't been great for you guys. He wasn't great for us either for his last 20 games or so. I'm not positive, but I heard he may be playing through an injury, on top of being a new dad. Trust me, if he finds his form again this season, you'll know why Wild fans were loath to lose him. I hope he finds that stride again before the season is out so I can cheer for him (and I guess the Preds, too) deep in the playoffs.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I'm starting to have an issue with this trade. I know folks talk about the Fiala turnovers but seems like a lot of that is mired in the past as he had gotten a lot better on that front. I forgot the exact numbers but at the break he was the most efficient in the NHL in terms of successful zone entry and exit.

Honestly at this point I'm starting to think we basically traded Fiala for Fiala with 2 years less on his contract. Plenty of time left for that to change.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Wild fan in peace. It's been a while now, thoughts on MiG? I will always have a huge soft spot for him, and Fiala will no doubt turn into a fine player.... But man, granny was one of my favs. Enough so that when we get bounced out in the first round (or more likely at this point don't make the playoffs) I'll become a bandwagon preds fan for the rest of the post season.
He's been like a tibia fracture line better than Fiala so far.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'm starting to have an issue with this trade. I know folks talk about the Fiala turnovers but seems like a lot of that is mired in the past as he had gotten a lot better on that front. I forgot the exact numbers but at the break he was the most efficient in the NHL in terms of successful zone entry and exit.

Honestly at this point I'm starting to think we basically traded Fiala for Fiala with 2 years less on his contract. Plenty of time left for that to change.

Yeah this could definitely be one we look back on as a big mistake. The funny thing is that from a point production standpoint 5 v 5 Fiala has basically the same production as Granlund over the last two seasons. Granlund gets more powerplay production, which helps to close the gap. However, Granlund really hasn't done all that much for our powerplay as of yet. To your point about Fiala's turnovers, he improved drastically about not turning the puck over as the season went on.

The argument for this trade was that Granlund improved is in the immediate future for the Cup run, which is why it was ok to give up a player with the same potential on a team controlled contract. Waiting for him to have an offseason with the team may be a valid point, but its not what we expected to get out of the trade.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
im big on contracts. yes even though, it is not my money.

granlund is going to want to get paid soon. fiala was under team control for a while. i was really expecting a significant upgrade until fiala hits his "ceiling".

I'll reserve judgement until this time next year.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
I'm willing to give it a little more time but Granlund looks like a passenger out there. I was hoping he would drive play a little more than he does. He needs to keep shooting. I think when guys switch teams there is a little tendency to shy away from shooting too much as to not look like a puck hog. Happens in other sports as well.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
As others have said, he has nobody on his line. If he were a center it would be okay because I think he could bring up the play of his wingers, but there's not much he can do alone on the wing.

If it's basically an even swap in production, I can only hope that there were locker room issues with Fiala and that having Granlund is a huge upgrade in that area. I still like the trade, I like all of them, but at the same time I had said all the way up to the deadline that I hoped Poile would just hold on this season. There may have been some different trades available for Hartman and Fiala in the summer. I don't know, maybe a training camp will help. Just have to trust in Poile and the coaches.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I would argue one reason Granlund is less turnover prone than Fiala would be he seems to have puck possession at a lesser rate. I also see Granlund hold the puck and try to dangle around people to lose possession, which seemed to infuriate our fan base when Fiala did it. Fiala was our best zone entry forward and had the puck on his stick often for entry and exits. I didn't love the trade at the time, and I have seen nothing from Granlund that makes me think we have won this deal. If we only get 1 year out of Granlund as a slightly better version of Fiala and then he asks for 8+ million per year then it's a clear loss in my mind.

I would still say to this point, Boyle is the only trade that you make if you know what you know now. Sure, you can say 'give it some time', but based purely on RIGHT NOW then you don't make the Simmonds deal or the Granlund move.

Now, I do agree that Granlund is suffering from poor line play. It's possible we still love this deal next year if we can make something happen to upgrade Turris (a la Duchene). Better yet, something may change with Turris this year and we could absolutely be loving this trade and the Simmonds deal on a long playoff run. Things change, but I am only judging things on this short 8 game window.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I'm willing to give it a little more time but Granlund looks like a passenger out there. I was hoping he would drive play a little more than he does. He needs to keep shooting. I think when guys switch teams there is a little tendency to shy away from shooting too much as to not look like a puck hog. Happens in other sports as well.

I think this is accurate because his shot rate was higher than Fiala's, but would also say overall his line isn't generating possession and he can't shoot much less score in the defensive zone.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think the longer it goes the better the Simmonds deal will look. I don't think Hartman is ever going to be anymore than he has been and frankly I think like a lot of guys we've traded he bounces around from team to team where people keep hoping he gets better.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
The problem with arguing Granlund is suffering from poor line play is you could say the same about Fiala for most of the season. Just look at his with/without stats for having Turris on his line. His line was producing quite well whenever he wasn't playing with Turris. I wasn't a huge fan of the trade initially and Granlund hasn't done anything to sooth my concerns yet.
so basically turris is awful.

we all knew that and i did actually bring up that fact before the trade that fiala had been glued with turris ever since we acquired turris. other than the first 17 games, i argued turris was holding fiala back. fiala was playing with an absolute trash center.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
so basically turris is awful.

we all knew that and i did actually bring up that fact before the trade that fiala had been glued with turris ever since we acquired turris. other than the first 17 games, i argued turris was holding fiala back. fiala was playing with an absolute trash center.
You're not wrong but Fiala was frustratingly inconsistent long before Turris got here.

Reactions: hockey diva

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
The fact he hasn't found chemistry with any linemates hasn't helped him. But I think he just needs some time.

This is definitely just my observation, but it feels like players who click with their new teams instantly, usually regress after that... It's like beginner's luck or something. And the ones that end up really fitting well with their new team take about 10-20 games to get familiar/comfortable with their new team first.

Some of the big names that were traded recently (Karlsson, Duchene, Pacioretty) all needed about 15-20 games to find their game. They were producing at less than 0.5 PPG in that first stretch. After that first 15-20 games stretch, they went on to produce at about 1 PPG or more. I'm talking about Duchene when he was traded to Ottawa by the way. Now it seems like he's also struggling with CLB, but we'll see how many games it takes him to find his touch.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00