Confirmed with Link: [NSH/MIN] Fiala for Granlund

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
This trade keeps looking more regrettable despite the fact that Granlund has been a bit better of late. Fiala has been on a roll after the awful start to the season. 12 points in the last 14 games and on a 5 game point streak.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
How is Granlund looking? Every time I’ve watched the preds he looks good, just not finishing.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
How is Granlund looking? Every time I’ve watched the preds he looks good, just not finishing.
"Good" would be a bit of a stretch. He's more often functional but largely invisible. For the amount of icetime and opportunity he has received, he has been very disappointing. :(

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'm no Granlund fan but I do think he suffers a bit from the same things Duchene does where their skillsets are a bit underutilized because of the lack of someone who can go to the net and finish on their lines. That being said I still dont understand how Granlund was a multi time 60+ point scorer based on what I've seen from him here.

Reactions: adsfan and NNCbama

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
If Fiala were still playing here he would probably be a scrub just like most everyone else on the roster right now.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It's the biggest reason I'd like to see a coaching change rather than moving out players, because at this point I think the team just no longer fits with what Lavi wants to do. I think when he first got here we were still more of the play hard and grind to make things happen kind of team, but over the years we have picked up more skill and less of that beat and bang. I think that is why you see a line a Grimaldi/Bonino/Smith still flourishing somewhat this year, they are more of that original Preds style. He hasn't adjusted, or is unable to adjust based on what each line brings and it shows.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's the biggest reason I'd like to see a coaching change rather than moving out players, because at this point I think the team just no longer fits with what Lavi wants to do. I think when he first got here we were still more of the play hard and grind to make things happen kind of team, but over the years we have picked up more skill and less of that beat and bang. I think that is why you see a line a Grimaldi/Bonino/Smith still flourishing somewhat this year, they are more of that original Preds style. He hasn't adjusted, or is unable to adjust based on what each line brings and it shows.
Which brings me back to something I was wondering about... would they possibly get any extra mileage out of sprinkling guys like Sissons and Watsons higher up in the lineup, mixing and matching some of the skill guys and bangers a little more again? It would reek of desperation to me... but... are not desperate? :(

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Which brings me back to something I was wondering about... would they possibly get any extra mileage out of sprinkling guys like Sissons and Watsons higher up in the lineup, mixing and matching some of the skill guys and bangers a little more again? It would reek of desperation to me... but... are not desperate? :(
I think that is also part of the problem though, short of being forced into it it seems Lavi is unwilling to try certain guys in certain places. You would think he would try a Sissons or Watson on a higher line as that guy to go in there and do some dirty work, heck even a guy like Trenin who is a bigger body. For whatever reason though while he seems to be willing to mix lines around, there are just certain things or guys he is unwilling to try unless he is just under some serious pressure to do so like with Turris.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think that is also part of the problem though, short of being forced into it it seems Lavi is unwilling to try certain guys in certain places. You would think he would try a Sissons or Watson on a higher line as that guy to go in there and do some dirty work, heck even a guy like Trenin who is a bigger body. For whatever reason though while he seems to be willing to mix lines around, there are just certain things or guys he is unwilling to try unless he is just under some serious pressure to do so like with Turris.
And correspondingly certains guys he is unwilling to punish a little or juggle positions with, like Johansen?

It should be pretty hard to get locked into much of anything with the way our players have performed this year... Grimaldi-Bonino, and Jarnkrok... those are basically the forwards who have exceeded expectations. Then I guess Watson and Sissons have done about as much as could be expected from them. And everybody else has been a bit disappointing - especially in November and December, anyway. I don't see how any of those others should be excluded from some coaching persecution/experimentation.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Fiala is playing well. So win-win for both teams? That's a hockey trade.

He's outplayed Granlund considerably, makes less money, and is under contract longer. That isn't a win-win. That's a lopsided trade, and will be worse if we don't make a serious push for something other than a wild card spot in the next month. Granlund was a "better right now fleecing" and the few Fiala supporters got laughed at in this thread and now it's crickets and excuses as a "win win" trade.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah, I'm glad Fiala has turned things around so emphatically with the Wild. You draft a guy and follow him for 5 years and you always wish for the best for him. I wasn't sure he'd figure things out, but it seems like he has. He has more goals and points and has outproduced everybody not named Josi on our team. And if Granlund has been hot for us lately (10g, 4a last 19gp is pretty good), welll.... Fiala has been something even more. It's almost certainly going to go down as one of those trades where we understand the reasons for making it - like Seth Jones, like Girard - but it can't really be argued that we won. We won't likely win.

Well, there is still the rest of this season and maybe Granlund wins a Conn Smythe and re-signs long-term here. So the book isn't completely closed yet. But probably the Wild are going to win it. I supported the deal at the time, it seemed like a great one for us. No complaints here that Poile made the move. It was the right idea. But as we all know, they don't always work out in the end. It was worth a try. At least Granlund has had this resurrection under Hynes. Things could have been worse.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Yeah, I'm glad Fiala has turned things around so emphatically with the Wild. You draft a guy and follow him for 5 years and you always wish for the best for him. I wasn't sure he'd figure things out, but it seems like he has. He has more goals and points and has outproduced everybody not named Josi on our team. And if Granlund has been hot for us lately (10g, 4a last 19gp is pretty good), welll.... Fiala has been something even more. It's almost certainly going to go down as one of those trades where we understand the reasons for making it - like Seth Jones, like Girard - but it can't really be argued that we won. We won't likely win.

Well, there is still the rest of this season and maybe Granlund wins a Conn Smythe and re-signs long-term here. So the book isn't completely closed yet. But probably the Wild are going to win it. I supported the deal at the time, it seemed like a great one for us. No complaints here that Poile made the move. It was the right idea. But as we all know, they don't always work out in the end. It was worth a try. At least Granlund has had this resurrection under Hynes. Things could have been worse.

You are far too level headed and middle ground to post on these boards.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I'm really interested in how people think Fiala was going to become something with us. He probably never was going to, despite showing that he could multiple times.
This team is filled to the maximum with underperforming forwards. It isn't a coincidence that every player entering our team commits offensive career suicide.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad