Confirmed with Link: [NSH/MIN] Fiala for Granlund

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
You're not wrong but Fiala was frustratingly inconsistent long before Turris got here.

Frustratingly inconsistent before Turris, you mean as a 20/21 year old winger? I get that, but really what are the expectations here? Arvy didn't have his first big year until he was 23. He was kicking rocks in Milwaukee at the same age, which is what is expected for a developing forward.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
The fact he hasn't found chemistry with any linemates hasn't helped him. But I think he just needs some time.

This is definitely just my observation, but it feels like players who click with their new teams instantly, usually regress after that... It's like beginner's luck or something. And the ones that end up really fitting well with their new team take about 10-20 games to get familiar/comfortable with their new team first.

Some of the big names that were traded recently (Karlsson, Duchene, Pacioretty) all needed about 15-20 games to find their game. They were producing at less than 0.5 PPG in that first stretch. After that first 15-20 games stretch, they went on to produce at about 1 PPG or more. I'm talking about Duchene when he was traded to Ottawa by the way. Now it seems like he's also struggling with CLB, but we'll see how many games it takes him to find his touch.

It's a fair point that he may need some time. We were a bit spoiled in the fact that Johansen and Turris both came and had immediate success for us. However, I'd rather have immediate struggles and long term success than immediate success and long term struggles like we've had with Turris.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Frustratingly inconsistent before Turris, you mean as a 20/21 year old winger? I get that, but really what are the expectations here? Arvy didn't have his first big year until he was 23. He was kicking rocks in Milwaukee at the same age, which is what is expected for a developing forward.
I'm not going to compare Arvy and Fiala but I do agree he's still really young..... even if he was playing for us in the playoffs at 18 and had ample opportunities over the years. All things considered I always liked Fiala so I'm not trying to crap all over his time here, but to me the problem was that he didn't look like he was progressing at a reasonable pace. Yeah he's only 22 but he's had significant time in the NHL for several years in roles where he was expected to get better and better. I feel like this trade is going to make Fiala seem more important to us than he was if Granlund doesn't work out.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It looks to me from frozen Tools like Granlund had his best of times with Koivu at center... a big playmaking center... it seems like we have one of those... and then a smaller speedy/feisty scoring winger in Zucker... seems like we might have one of those too... the Granlund-Johansen-Arvy line may be worth a further look... but then as always somebody gets left out... Forsberg-Turris-Smith/Simmonds, I don't know?... shame we have to struggle to find ways to get players going and juggle lines around at this point in the season... :(

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
It looks to me from frozen Tools like Granlund had his best of times with Koivu at center... a big playmaking center... it seems like we have one of those... and then a smaller speedy/feisty scoring winger in Zucker... seems like we might have one of those too... the Granlund-Johansen-Arvy line may be worth a further look... but then as always somebody gets left out... Forsberg-Turris-Smith/Simmonds, I don't know?... shame we have to struggle to find ways to get players going and juggle lines around at this point in the season... :(
We still have plenty to play for but if we experiment with Granlund and Joey together for a couple games I'd be okay with it. But it would still be a small sample size whether it worked or not.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I'm not going to compare Arvy and Fiala but I do agree he's still really young..... even if he was playing for us in the playoffs at 18 and had ample opportunities over the years. All things considered I always liked Fiala so I'm not trying to crap all over his time here, but to me the problem was that he didn't look like he was progressing at a reasonable pace. Yeah he's only 22 but he's had significant time in the NHL for several years in roles where he was expected to get better and better. I feel like this trade is going to make Fiala seem more important to us than he was if Granlund doesn't work out.

25 goal scorer at 21 does feel important to me. He also had 1 game at the age of 18, then 5 games the following year at age 19. I can't take away those games, but that is hardly any type of contributing roll. Really even saying he has had several years to progress is a stretch to me. The guy has about 200 regular season games with us. Sprinkle in the playoffs and he might be near the "several" or 3 year mark.

I think sometimes career paths are expected to be this crisp bell curve. There are too many variables for that. To counter him not progressing at a reasonable rate I would say he was at his best year last year in only his second full season, so the expectation is naturally to see continued improvement. Well, we got 64 games of him with a smattering of different line mates, where his production dropped from .60 pts/game at his best year last year to .50/pts game in his 64 games this year. His shooting % dropped almost 5 percent from last year as well. I feel like this was shortsighted to sell him at this point in his career.

I am not saying you specifically, just using this conversation to vent some frustration from the Fiala situation overall. Nothing to do about it now. I am pulling for Granlund and am hopeful he can be resigned for a reasonable rate, while matching him with some better line mates.

Last edited:

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I think what's lost in all of this discussion is that while Granlund isn't producing offensively for us, he's a much stronger two way forward than Fials is. Granlund is also more physical and isn't afraid to get in to the corners to fight for the puck. I think the offense will come for him. The two way play is what will help us come playoff time.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
No reason we can't do this. JoFA is great when they're on, but they're not consistent enough game-to-game to be putting all our offense in that basket. Break them up and try some shit now while we still have time. All of them are theoretically good enough to produce regardless of who they are playing with.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
As I have told Viqsi, I will LOL, LOL till I wet my pants if the Preds trade for Fiala.
That wouldn't be half bad, really. I know Fiala has a few warts as a player, but he could give us back a new JoFA line...
Forsberg - Duchene - Granlund
Fiala - Johansen - Arvidsson

And the $3M salary isn't too bad.

Guessing Minnesota wants to "rebuild" now, however... so even if they did want to trade a 23-year old player wouldn't they just ask us for picks/prospects? I'd take Fiala back if there was another way, but would not give up one of our top futures assets for him at this point. :dunno:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
That wouldn't be half bad, really. I know Fiala has a few warts as a player, but he could give us back a new JoFA line...
Forsberg - Duchene - Granlund
Fiala - Johansen - Arvidsson

And the $3M salary isn't too bad.

Guessing Minnesota wants to "rebuild" now, however... so even if they did want to trade a 23-year old player wouldn't they just ask us for picks/prospects? I'd take Fiala back if there was another way, but would not give up one of our top futures assets for him at this point. :dunno:

Preds DO have an extra 2nd from the Subban trade

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Preds DO have an extra 2nd from the Subban trade
I wouldn't be against trading something like a 2nd and one of our "near miss" B prospects, say... I don't know exactly who the organization might have doubts about, but Richard, or Carrier, or maybe Harper... some guy like that who has redeeming qualities but it's still tough to project them into our lineup given the competition they'll have. I don't see the Wild being interested at that price.

I think for Fiala he just has to learn how to harness his skills. He could be a fine zone entry player and solid 2nd line offensive producer. But he needs to learn when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em... too many times he tries to carry the puck through an opening that isn't there and turns it over. He is good when he finds the openings. But when it's not there he needs to be able to identify that and make smarter plays instead. That and a little more attention on the backcheck. He's young enough you'd think he'd pick it up. Even if Boudreau isn't the guy, don't they still have Evason as an assistant? He'd know something about Fiala if anybody would. :dunno:

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Fiala, a player with all the ability in the world, didn’t leave here because he couldn’t play. He left here because he had maturity problems that affected his team. I gathered he was a locker room problem although can’t prove it. I’d guess his old teammates wouldn’t be thrilled with his return Too much baggage.
This comes from a fan who thought he was as talented a player to come along in a long while. Couldn’t understand his demise.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Weird thing is the first person I thought of listing for the NPPG was Fiala. Then I remembered he wasn't on the Preds anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad