Speculation: Now what do we do? ‎- Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Anyone else think this season might determine if we keep Namestnikov or Johnson? Johnson is clearly the better player but if he has another monster year we might not be able to afford two 1C's, if he struggles a bit and Namestnikov has a great year we might go with the cheaper option? Johnson is a playoff beast and would suck to lose him but he's still an RFA and we might get a huge haul for him. Even if we move Filppula it's eventually gonna be hard to pay Stamkos, Johnson, Namestnikov and we have been drafted a ton a 3C types who will be cheap.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Anyone else think this season might determine if we keep Namestnikov or Johnson? Johnson is clearly the better player but if he has another monster year we might not be able to afford two 1C's, if he struggles a bit and Namestnikov has a great year we might go with the cheaper option? Johnson is a playoff beast and would suck to lose him but he's still an RFA and we might get a huge haul for him. Even if we move Filppula it's eventually gonna be hard to pay Stamkos, Johnson, Namestnikov and we have been drafted a ton a 3C types who will be cheap.

1 Justin Faulk, please. :nod:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
one thought on stamkos every interview by teammates was always he is our guy tyler said it just like stamkos says it about the guys we think are core

callahan seems excepted hope he bounces back from surgery.

I see it all working out myself we are going to lose bishop because of expansion and that is what it is honestly sad but we should compete for the cup and i hope he stays and plays out this year myself.

I always felt in gut stamkos was that guy to the org to the other players etc.. why I kept saying he would leave as todd would barrage me 20 times a day saying no lol

I am happy i expect stamkos to be that 40-50 goal scorer for most of this 8 years he has a legacy to put now.

hes seen it done by toews and kane and crosby and malkin more than once even

now he has to become that guy ... i am happy cause i do believe he has it in him to be that ppg we need.

anyway pretty great day all in all:) Hope we dont do anything rash like giving bishop a move too early that is my next concern.

I think the core generally loves one another and will do what is necessary to make it work

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012

Trading Johnson for picks/prospects is sadly something I expect. It's the modus operandi of a cap hell team. Unless Yzerman works his magic once more.

What a bittersweet day.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I wouldn't be suprised if Stamkos just set the tone for the rest of the team that still needs to be signed.

If Stamkos can take less money to make this work, all of the others can as well.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
one thought on stamkos every interview by teammates was always he is our guy tyler said it just like stamkos says it about the guys we think are core

callahan seems excepted hope he bounces back from surgery.

I see it all working out myself we are going to lose bishop because of expansion and that is what it is honestly sad but we should compete for the cup and i hope he stays and plays out this year myself.

I always felt in gut stamkos was that guy to the org to the other players etc.. why I kept saying he would leave as todd would barrage me 20 times a day saying no lol

I am happy i expect stamkos to be that 40-50 goal scorer for most of this 8 years he has a legacy to put now.

hes seen it done by toews and kane and crosby and malkin more than once even

now he has to become that guy ... i am happy cause i do believe he has it in him to be that ppg we need.

anyway pretty great day all in all:) Hope we dont do anything rash like giving bishop a move too early that is my next concern.

I think the core generally loves one another and will do what is necessary to make it work

Stamkos at 8.5 makes me think kucherov might only get 5 per year now lol

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I wouldn't be suprised if Stamkos just set the tone for the rest of the team that still needs to be signed.

If Stamkos can take less money to make this work, all of the others can as well.

I think hedman is done at 8.5 nobody on this roster is getting above that here in tampA! Yzerman is smart he set the bar with Stamkos that's the most you can get in Tampa no one goes above that.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
That could be the case. Do they bridge deal him like they did with Palat and Johnson ($3.33M)?

I think he gets what Barkov and forsberg got close to that range for kucherov. No point bridging kucherov we know he is core. At the time we were still a little unsure with palat and Johnson only seeing them play in the nhl one full season when they signed.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Well, will Callahan (LTIR for the next 5 months) count towards our salary cap? Might buy us some time if not.

Probably safe to say though that at least one of Filppula, Carle or even Bishop (I'll hate this) will not be a Lightning come 2016-17.

I don't see us go after any big UFA out there. The improvements will have to come from within (full season of Drouin, Koekkoek, hard looks on Namestnikov, Paquette, Nesterov).

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Well, will Callahan (LTIR for the next 5 months) count towards our salary cap? Might buy us some time if not.

Probably safe to say though that at least one of Filppula, Carle or even Bishop (I'll hate this) will not be a Lightning come 2016-17.

I don't see us go after any big UFA out there. The improvements will have to come from within (full season of Drouin, Koekkoek, do-or-die for Namestnikov, Paquette, Nesterov).

Yep. Cally now becomes the new Ohlund... albeit temporarily if they go over the $73.375M.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
If by some miracle Flip still possesses a positive value, I'd trade Bishop+Carle to Dallas for Niemi+Hemsky+prospect. Then in a separate deal I would move Flip for a 4th rounder or a bag of **** or whatevs.

What's happening with our forward group regarding the draft expansion now that Stamkos re-signed, we can't afford to get a Nichushkin type of forward now or he'll be exposed right ?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Yep. Cally now becomes the new Ohlund... albeit temporarily if they go over the $73.375M.

So your current $9.3M cap space (NHLnumbers.com says $9.67M by the way) + Callahan's $6.5M gives us $15.8M to maneuver.

Add Koekkoek's $0.8M, so around $15M remain for Kucherov, Killorn, Namestnikov, Nesterov. Maybe re-sign JAM or replace him from outside or call up guys like Vermin, Richard, Point for the time being.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Yeah Callahan on th LTIR might just save Carle's ass from being bought out tomorrow. I swear he's the luckiest ******* to ever walk the earth.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
So your current $9.3M cap space (NHLnumbers.com says $9.67M by the way) + Callahan's $6.5M gives us $15.8M to maneuver.

Add Koekkoek's $0.8M, so around $15M remain for Kucherov, Killorn, Namestnikov, Nesterov. Maybe re-sign JAM or replace him from outside or call up guys like Vermin, Richard, Point for the time being.

Thinking perhaps, Sir, the $9.67M is the over-the-floor amount. General Fanager has the existing cap consumption (with all deals including Stammers) at $63,687,500 with $9,312,500 remaining towards Cap Max (Cap is $73M)

My additional $375K mentioned above allows for bonuses and would be an overage

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
If by some miracle Flip still possesses a positive value, I'd trade Bishop+Carle to Dallas for Niemi+Hemsky+prospect. Then in a separate deal I would move Flip for a 4th rounder or a bag of **** or whatevs.

What's happening with our forward group regarding the draft expansion now that Stamkos re-signed, we can't afford to get a Nichushkin type of forward now or he'll be exposed right ?

Teams looking to reach the cap floor or teams looking to add a veteran for their young core and the locker room won't turn down a solid 2nd/3rd line center like him. Filppula has won a Cup, appeared in three other Cup Finals and another ECF (152 career playoff games). His faceoff numbers are strong, he's a good passer, stickhandler and skater, can play the PP and PK, center and wing and after a down year is still around 0.4 - 0.5 points per game.

Our depth probably pushed him lower than he should be. He isn't shooting much, his contract runs two more years and the cap hit is arguably a bit too high but $5M is still very manageable for other teams. We might have to add a prospect or a pick but he is far from having negative value.

A lot more moveable with a lot less negative repercussions for us than, say, Carle.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Thinking perhaps, Sir, the $9.67M is the over-the-floor amount. General Fanager has the existing cap consumption (with all deals including Stammers) at $63,687,500 with $9,312,500 remaining towards Cap Max (Cap is $73M)

My additional $375K mentioned above allows for bonuses and would be an overage

That explains it, thanks.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven

I'd say the 7 FW's are:

Stammer
Cally
Filppula
TJ
Palat
Drouin
Kucherov

*providing they don't move someone above beforehand

Exposing - Brown, Boyle, Condra, Paquette, Hart, McGinn, Vermin, Richard, (Nichushkin)
Depends on what happens now and before next season ends with or without signings (add/subtract) - Killorn, Namestnikov, Blunden, Marchessault, Angelidis, Gourde

All other prospects fall under the first and second-year professionals category

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad