Speculation: Now what do we do? ‎- Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Stevie Y coming down to the wire on Carle. My thoughts are that there is an additional buyout period next season prior to the expansion draft, so we can ditch him then. If we are going to sign stamkos and kuch, we would need the money and Carle is bought out tomorrow. But, if stamkos doesnt come back and we are not picking up any free agents, we could keep carle another year and decrease his buy out next year. Havent actually crunched the numbers on this, just my assumptions.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Stevie Y coming down to the wire on Carle. My thoughts are that there is an additional buyout period next season prior to the expansion draft, so we can ditch him then. If we are going to sign stamkos and kuch, we would need the money and Carle is bought out tomorrow. But, if stamkos doesnt come back and we are not picking up any free agents, we could keep carle another year and decrease his buy out next year. Havent actually crunched the numbers on this, just my assumptions.

If we lose Stamkos and Bishop, we can probably hang onto Carle's money. ...But, oh, the on-ice product we're gonna have to suffer through...

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Chris Johnston @reporterchris
Reminder: Players can be placed on unconditional waivers tomorrow for a buyout. Contract must be terminated by 5 p.m. ET.

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 26m26 minutes ago
@mcgucks91 @Saima_1226 @BoltProspects In this case, the normal waiver period doesn't apply. Players can be put on tomorrow for a buyout.

Last edited by a moderator:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Carle as a #7 isn't bad. He has games where he's decent and keeping his legs fresh by playing him only so often should help. His contract sucks but can't change that, rather Carle than Taormina or Nesterov.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I'm going to be really annoyed if we don't buyout/dump Carle. Not for cap reasons but because I don't want to have to suffer through watching another second of him on the ice.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

There's another buyout period after arbitration hearings, but who knows if the Lightning will have any this year.

We're contenders next year even without Stamkos. I wouldn't play with Carle's contract.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think Yzerman keeps Carles contract if we don't keep Stamkos and can't trade him. Possibly buy him out next year.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
There's another buyout period after arbitration hearings, but who knows if the Lightning will have any this year.
We're contenders next year even without Stamkos. I wouldn't play with Carle's contract.

i thought only those that were arbitrated could go to that or something so if you have exact information id love to read it:)

days how the process works how it differs from this buy out window?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I'm thinking closer to $6m. Gotta think he's looking for a Callahan contract at the least. He's a much better scorer than Callahan.
They both peak at around 20+ goals. That's not much better. He did have a nice stretch of 8 goals in 12 after being traded back to Chicago but that's a small sample size, and he didn't do much in the playoffs. I'd totally pass on Ladd, personally.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Hmmm. What do you guys think of Drouin at center? If Stamkos walks I really... REALLY don't know if I would want Filppula and Namestnikov as our depth following him. I'm going over some of our recorded games and Namestnikov worries me. He produces when given time with the big boys but his IQ and lack of shooting instinct is troublesome. I'm not so sure we aren't just gonna get a poor man's Filppula out of him.

I mention this because the more I think about it the less I see Yzerman doing anything else but just bringing back the same team. There are such obvious moves that need to be made and all we have are secret qualifying offers that haven't been accepted yet.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
They both peak at around 20+ goals. That's not much better. He did have a nice stretch of 8 goals in 12 after being traded back to Chicago but that's a small sample size, and he didn't do much in the playoffs. I'd totally pass on Ladd, personally.

Offensively, I think Ladd trumps Callahan in just about every way. His average years are as good as Callahan's best years.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Hmmm. What do you guys think of Drouin at center? If Stamkos walks I really... REALLY don't know if I would want Filppula and Namestnikov as our depth following him. I'm going over some of our recorded games and Namestnikov worries me. He produces when given time with the big boys but his IQ and lack of shooting instinct is troublesome. I'm not so sure we aren't just gonna get a poor man's Filppula out of him.

I mention this because the more I think about it the less I see Yzerman doing anything else but just bringing back the same team. There are such obvious moves that need to be made and all we have are secret qualifying offers that haven't been accepted yet.

That's short term memory due to a bad playoffs campaign IMO. Namestnikov was mostly receiving praises during the regular season and the consensus was that he deserved a top 6 spot. His playoffs resume is concerning but we're not there yet, there's firstly a full season to play. Sure in a perfect world you slot Vladdy on the 3rd line until he enters his prime and see where's he's at, but we're quite unlikely to have that luxury due to the cap crunch. We're not going to make a consequential acquisition, unless it's a one year deal.

We went to the ECF with that center depth anyway, it's not like we're going to be a lottery team because of them.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
In a rant that I've held back a long time: this whole Stamkos saga has been nothing but ridiculous from the start. From the "top secret" nature of EVERYTHING that has happened. To literally having NOTHING done and having to put the rest of the team on hold until July 1st simply to placate to the idea of him returning. To listening to him going on about "I want to win a championship here. I want to stay" and then making a trip to Toronto and meeting with the mayor. The Blue Jays fiasco was fun too. Now we're gonna drag this out even longer for some unbeknownst reason and I'm forced to sit here and think that Steve Yzerman is actually dumb.

I cannot express in human vocabulary how much it disgusts me that after the lengths gone to bring that man a championship. To make him the face of our franchise. And this behavior is the thank you we have received in the midst of the most important contract negotiation in Lightning history.

Even if he comes back I will always resent him for this. I was mad that Marty St. Louis bullied his way out of town but I could sympathize with his situation and I actually felt he had a legitimate cause for what he did for as selfish as it was. But this is a different kind of resentment. Winning a championship and signing an 8 year deal that will pay you more than anywhere else is not a question that should take this long to answer. Indeed something else is in play and it's far more calculated than anything Marty did in the heat of the moment.

If you do leave then good luck dude. We proved that we can win without you. It's been real captain.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
That's short term memory due to a bad playoffs campaign IMO. Namestnikov was mostly receiving praises during the regular season and the consensus was that he deserved a top 6 spot. His playoffs resume is concerning but we're not there yet, there's firstly a full season to play. Sure in a perfect world you slot Vladdy on the 3rd line until he enters his prime and see where's he's at, but we're quite unlikely to have that luxury due to the cap crunch. We're not going to make a consequential acquisition, unless it's a one year deal.

We went to the ECF with that center depth anyway, it's not like we're going to be a lottery team because of them.

I don't know man. I think Namestnikov at 3rd line with Drouin at center combined with making a trade for another top 6 gives us more depth. We've got to clear cap anyway right? Here's my thought process

Palat-Johnson-Callahan
?-Drouin-Kucherov
Killorn-Namestnikov-JAM
Paquette-Boyle-Brown/Condra

For as much as I've given up on Filppula, he DOES have positive value. Hopefully we could find a way to trade him and get something in return that fills out a wing spot for the top 6.

Just as a joke... how do you think Val Nichushkin would work out here? He and Cooper would get along about as well as he and Drouin did in December.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
In a rant that I've held back a long time: this whole Stamkos saga has been nothing but ridiculous from the start. From the "top secret" nature of EVERYTHING that has happened. To literally having NOTHING done and having to put the rest of the team on hold until July 1st simply to placate to the idea of him returning. To listening to him going on about "I want to win a championship here. I want to stay" and then making a trip to Toronto and meeting with the mayor. The Blue Jays fiasco was fun too. Now we're gonna drag this out even longer for some unbeknownst reason and I'm forced to sit here and think that Steve Yzerman is actually dumb
I cannot express in human vocabulary how much it disgusts me that after the lengths gone to bring that man a championship. To make him the face of our franchise. And this behavior is the thank you we have received in the midst of the most important contract negotiation in Lightning history.

Even if he comes back I will always resent him for this. I was mad that Marty St. Louis bullied his way out of town but I could sympathize with his situation and I actually felt he had a legitimate cause for what he did for as selfish as it was. But this is a different kind of resentment. Winning a championship and signing an 8 year deal that will pay you more than anywhere else is not a question that should take this long to answer. Indeed something else is in play and it's far more calculated than anything Marty did in the heat of the moment.

If you do leave then good luck dude. We proved that we can win without you. It's been real captain.

Get a hold of yourself, guy. Nothing wrong in wanting to go home to play. It's extremely tempting. I don't know why you're trying to make it sound malicious in nature.

As for the bolded, you'd be complaining about what a circus it would have been if demands and conversations were leaked out.

Hes staying!

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I don't know man. I think Namestnikov at 3rd line with Drouin at center combined with making a trade for another top 6 gives us more depth. We've got to clear cap anyway right? Here's my thought process

Palat-Johnson-Callahan
?-Drouin-Kucherov
Killorn-Namestnikov-JAM
Paquette-Boyle-Brown/Condra

For as much as I've given up on Filppula, he DOES have positive value. Hopefully we could find a way to trade him and get something in return that fills out a wing spot for the top 6.

Just as a joke... how do you think Val Nichushkin would work out here? He and Cooper would get along about as well as he and Drouin did in December.

We can throw all our speculations to the toilet.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Get a hold of yourself, guy. Nothing wrong in wanting to go home to play. It's extremely tempting. I don't know why you're trying to make it sound malicious in nature.

As for the bolded, you'd be complaining about what a circus it would have been if demands and conversations were leaked out.

Hes staying!

I wouldn't care if anything was leaked. I care that an offer we made 6 damn months ago took this long to come to fruition and for all the "I want to stay" the guy pulled an almost unparalleled set of shenanigans in the meantime. I understand the temptation of playing at home too but I don't find that to be an overly difficult decision to make when you're the captain of a two time Eastern Conference finalist.

I don't think a guy who truly wants to stay in Tampa should be visiting with the mayor of Toronto, taking solicitations from Canadian Tire and taking batting practice with the Blue Jays. I don't enjoy being ****ed with man. The secrecy of the negotiations only made it worse.

Fans understand hockey is a business a simple announcement of "I will test free agency but I would like to stay in Tampa" would have been more than sufficient.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I can't see how we keep Carle now unless there is a deal with him and Bishop going out. We could've kept him if Stamkos was leaving but now can't afford him unless we trade Filpulla soon.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I wouldn't care if anything was leaked. I care that an offer we made 6 damn months ago took this long to come to fruition and for all the "I want to stay" the guy pulled an almost unparalleled set of shenanigans in the meantime. I understand the temptation of playing at home too but I don't find that to be an overly difficult decision to make when you're the captain of a two time Eastern Conference finalist.

I don't think a guy who truly wants to stay in Tampa should be visiting with the mayor of Toronto, taking solicitations from Canadian Tire and taking batting practice with the Blue Jays. I don't enjoy being ****ed with man. The secrecy of the negotiations only made it worse.

Fans understand hockey is a business a simple announcement of "I will test free agency but I would like to stay in Tampa" would have been more than sufficient.

You're looking at it wrong.

On Yzerman's side, he offered Stamkos 8.5 and didn't budge.

On Stamkos's side, he found out what other teams were offering, and decided to give us the discount.

Keeping Stamkos makes me nervous, but it's hard to walk away thinking he's anything but a class act for signing literally the cheapest deal that was reasonably imaginable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad