Speculation: Now what do we do? ‎- Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I have a feeling this could be our most busy day in a couple of years.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I honestly don't see Hedman getting 8.5 for multiple reasons.

Hedman seems like the most humble dude ever, only playing for 2 teams his entire life. I think he takes a hometown discount.

I don't see him signing for the same amount as the captain.

If you look at this list:

http://www.generalfanager.com/leagueleaders?position=D&shoots=Both&team=all

8.5 would put him at the 2nd highest paid D man in the league. Is he really the 2nd best Dman?

I think he comes in around 7.

7.75 is cheapest think hedman goes for hes compared to doughty would not shock me if heddy won the norris this season

Carle's buyout is 1.83 for the next 4 years so we save 3.66 this year.

How do we get another 900k in savings? We currently have 10 forwards signed and 3 RFA's to go so 13 forwards to start the year. Callahan is hurt so 12 and most likely Richard up so 13 again. There's no reason to bury Condra and have no extra forwards. Even if we buried him for Richard we only save 300-400k the difference between the savings of burying Condra and Richards caphit.

only need 20 players for cap considerations than can play with money of callahan etc.. dont need 23 which we will have

I WANT CONDRA off the books id want him off the books secondary to carle only
nesterov might be next guy i want gone but he gets more time

The addition of Droid makes Killorn expendable to some extent. I don't want to lose him but he's a 40 point guy and a guy that performs in the playoffs. We would need Callahan and Stamkos to make up for that in the playoffs or a signing to help out on the bottom 6. Our top 2 lines right now are fine if Killorn stays but I'm not sure how he does unless Carle is out and possibly Flip.

I can see Killorn taking 4m. Buying out Carle, trading Flip and the inevitable trade of Bishop so it seems, would let us keep that forward group in tact. Then, Garrison comes off in a year and Coburn could be traded later on.

i think killer will sign for like 3.75 tops so id like to keep him

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I have a feeling this could be our most busy day in a couple of years.

Agreed. I think he's going to put Callahan on a temporary LTIR and get us somewhere around $14 million in cap space. I haven't done the true math but it should be close. Then he will get the rest of the RFA's to sign their deals.

Kucherov- $6 million x 6 years
Namestnikov- $2 million x 2 years
Killorn $3.75 million x 4 years

This will buy us valuable time to figure out what to do with our unwanted contracts. We'll have maybe something close to $3 million to spend on a free agent if we want. I'm hoping we use it. We really need help with secondary scoring.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I fear nothing happens lol

Yeah me too. We can't sit on the same team for 3 years in a row and expect a different result. We lost to the Blackhawks and then to a very hungry Penguins team. Not because of goaltending and defense but due to the fact that we were done once the other team got their second goal. When the big guns stopped firing no one else stepped up.

This is a very serious problem and it needs to be fixed ASAP. Yzerman will have to take care of our RFA's soon but free agency needs to be a priority as well. We aren't gonna find secondary scoring from the same guys who didn't score for 2 years in a row.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Possible lineup assuming we trade Filppula and do not re-sign Marchessault

Drouin-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Johnson-(who knows)
Killorn-Namestnikov-(who knows)
Paquette-Boyle-Condra/Brown

Brown can temporarily slot into the 3rd line but truthfully that's not going to be good enough going forward. And with Callahan having a 5 month rehab I sincerely doubt he's gonna be at full strength for the majority of the year. You don't just suddenly lose 5 months of preparation and strength and become an asset. We could be looking a year-long "down year" due to his recovery. We need to set our goals high this year and stop the whole, "We just wanna get back to April" mentality. That toxic approach had about as much to do with this year's failures as anything else.

1 GOOD singing in free agency or at least a trade deadline acquisition would do wonders for us.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Any chance Matt Martin gets a look? Love that dude!

Me too. Although, I have to say, some sick side of me wants to sign Brett Connolly just to say we did it.

Can't really do anything though until someone gets traded/bought out. Clock's a-tickin.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
At least this sounds good, hopefully it will be as pain free as possible:

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Me too. Although, I have to say, some sick side of me wants to sign Brett Connolly just to say we did it.

Can't really do anything though until someone gets traded/bought out. Clock's a-tickin.

A guy like Martin might do wonders for our bottom 6. Him and Boyle would be a ***** to play against. We need a big body anyway.

Brett would be good for more scoring depth. Don't know how much he wants though...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Possible lineup assuming we trade Filppula and do not re-sign Marchessault

Drouin-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Johnson-(who knows)
Killorn-Namestnikov-(who knows)
Paquette-Boyle-Condra/Brown

Brown can temporarily slot into the 3rd line but truthfully that's not going to be good enough going forward. And with Callahan having a 5 month rehab I sincerely doubt he's gonna be at full strength for the majority of the year. You don't just suddenly lose 5 months of preparation and strength and become an asset. We could be looking a year-long "down year" due to his recovery. We need to set our goals high this year and stop the whole, "We just wanna get back to April" mentality. That toxic approach had about as much to do with this year's failures as anything else.

1 GOOD singing in free agency or at least a trade deadline acquisition would do wonders for us.

Having Drouin properly slotted for a full year should do wonders for our depth scoring, and for our scoring in general. I'd be satisfied with one gritty bottom-sixer who can put the puck in the net, and then Koekkoek in place of Carle. Those two moves, plus Drouin, should give us a step forward so long as we don't lose a Johnson/Palat type piece. Or Bishop.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
7.75 is cheapest think hedman goes for hes compared to doughty would not shock me if heddy won the norris this season

only need 20 players for cap considerations than can play with money of callahan etc.. dont need 23 which we will have

I WANT CONDRA off the books id want him off the books secondary to carle only
nesterov might be next guy i want gone but he gets more time

i think killer will sign for like 3.75 tops so id like to keep him

What if we have an injury someone needs to be called up to replace them. If it's long-term we can LTIR 5hem and get cap savings but a day to day one we'll need a replacement who's cap hit we'll need room for. If we go on a West coast trip I see it extremely unlikely to bring only 20 players. Burying Condra doesn't save us enough and he can be useful, he was later in the year last season.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
For those who are more familiar with the farm, how do they view Point? I understand his junior accomplishments but do they look at him as someone who might replace TyJo if necessary? Don't know if they have comparable skill sets but they are about the same size.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
A guy like Martin might do wonders for our bottom 6. Him and Boyle would be a ***** to play against. We need a big body anyway.

Brett would be good for more scoring depth. Don't know how much he wants though...

With Connolly, a guy who didn't get qualified is unlikely to ask for much. Something around Brown's deal is probably his ceiling. 1.25? Can't see him getting more than that, which, combined with our history with him, makes it a bit intriguing. It's almost like an ego move. I can picture us being frustrated with him all over again if he were to return. That said, the best hockey he ever played for us was in that last month before he was traded. I'm assuming he didn't continue to play that way, otherwise there's no way he wouldn't still be a Bruin.

And I agree on Martin. He was NYI's most noticeable player against us. If he could give us that kind of performance, it would add a totally different layer to our team. Anyone have an idea what his asking price would be? I've heard/seen 2+ floating around, which is reasonable.

This Stamkos deal could have a ripple effect league-wide. Cap is stagnant, player values might finally take the dip they should have taken long before this.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We can't afford Martin now or any other players until we move one or two. We have a 19 player roster with 8.4 in space with Kucherov, Killorn, Namestnikov and Nesterov to sign. Buying out Carle gives us 12 which should be just short but we can go over by 7.3 million if needed so no reason everyone can't be resigned and then we worry about making moves. We have Callahan going on LTIR but we need to get under to start the year so expect Koekkoek and maybe Vasilevskiy or Drouin to get paper transactioned to give is another 1.8 to get under the cap.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
For those who are more familiar with the farm, how do they view Point? I understand his junior accomplishments but do they look at him as someone who might replace TyJo if necessary? Don't know if they have comparable skill sets but they are about the same size.

Chad, of the Bolts Prospects podcast, often says he thinks Point could have a slightly higher upside than Johnson.

Not sure if I buy that, but, much like Johnson, Point has overachieved at every opportunity so far. I think he's still a few years away though. Seems like a typical two years pro, then NHL, Tampa Bay Lightning prospect. 22 year-old rookie.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Points is great but Johnson is something else, he's got better speed, shot, tenacity and toughness. Point is the better playmaker, IQ and vision are close. With us being short on pure snipers I'm not sure how well Point will do, he works best with a triggerman for him to setup. If we don't get one then I don't know if he'll fulfill his potential because he's not an elite goal scorer himself. That's why Johnson is as good as he is he has he's got that playmaking ability and the great shot of his own so he's a treat in multiple ways.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
What if we have an injury someone needs to be called up to replace them. If it's long-term we can LTIR 5hem and get cap savings but a day to day one we'll need a replacement who's cap hit we'll need room for. If we go on a West coast trip I see it extremely unlikely to bring only 20 players. Burying Condra doesn't save us enough and he can be useful, he was later in the year last season.

condra was a failure its time to give kids a chance id be shocked if we have injuries again by the time we need another winger point couldnt come up hes that good right now a leader

richard is much better then condra I want him on the roster im all for marchy over condra too despite his lack of good defense

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
condra was a failure its time to give kids a chance id be shocked if we have injuries again by the time we need another winger point couldnt come up hes that good right now a leader

richard is much better then condra I want him on the roster im all for marchy over condra too despite his lack of good defense

Condra sucked the first half the year but looked like the player we thought the second half. What kids, who's ready besides Richard? Even Richard will need some time and for the role they'll be playing Condra is better right now. Richard will be on the roster because he needs to go through waivers otherwise. Marchessault probably won't be back as he can get a full-time gig with a club in need of some scoring and no reliance on defense. Condra is a Cooper guy, like it or not we are probably stuck with him another year. His contract isn't a killer and if he plays like he did the end of the year he's a good 4th liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad