Post-Game Talk: Now thats what we call a dominating response, Leafs win 6-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Tavares and Marner are going to produce and do magical things regardless who is on the left wing. I just feel Johnsson opens up a lot more space with his ability to hold onto the puck, make quicker decisions and can pass. I don’t think Hymans puck retrieval skills are that much better than Johnssons to offset the benefits Johnsson provides
That's fair, and I'm not sure I disagree, Johnsson's hustle and speed can win pucks too. I wouldn't mind mixing it up, my only point is that line has been awesome, so the venom directed at Hyman is unwarranted. If they were struggling or not dominating in the O zone, perhaps more contentious.

Babs likes his pairs, the team is having success, I don't get angry because the bigger picture shows results. Doesn't mean he's right, but I'm not losing my mind or obsessing because it's working. If it was my team, Hyman is on the third line grinding away and providing energy. Babs is also way smarter than me.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It’s crazy that Matthews and Marner will both hit 200+ career points this season. Feels like the Leafs just drafted them yesterday.

I know some people were really disappointed we drafted Marner over Hanifin lol and then we have the main board trying hard to convince us that Laine is anywhere close to Matthews.

I’m not going to lie. I was a Strome > Hanifin > Marner guy. Didn’t get into any of the crazy debates about it but that was my preference. The big C (that we didn’t have)?who puts up bundles of points in the O, the top ranked D (which we were severely lacking in our pipeline) and then the small (but ultra talented) winger.

I’m so happy to be wrong

Popeye7735

Jan 4, 2018
A dominant win.
Finally, all 3 lines were rolling like we thought they would, and the d also played well. The biggest encoragement was to see Naz starting to get out of the funk. When he made an impact, Leafs usually won.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
From what I've read here, I'm sorry I missed the game ;) I'll say that for all the accolades the fellas are receiving tonight, the one thing that stands out to me as being the most enjoyable is Rielly collecting 4 assists. Alone, very nice, but now with 40 points in 35 games it seems pretty safe to say that his season is going far better than anyone could have hoped and that his breakout season last year is being bettered this year. Not to be greedy, but I'd love to see what he'd do were he to have a better partner on the R side.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Is that good?

Is Morgan a #1D now? I know he’s no Parayko but he’s got to be a solid #3 for sure.

Jesus. He is massing these points with a Quality of Competition in the 97th percentile. If he keeps it up, he will have a better year than Drew Doughty's best year. Erik Karlsson never saw this kind of QoC in his career.

Reactions: unitedstars87

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I’m not going to lie. I was a Strome > Hanifin > Marner guy. Didn’t get into any of the crazy debates about it but that was my preference. The big C (that we didn’t have)?who puts up bundles of points in the O, the top ranked D (which we were severely lacking in our pipeline) and then the small (but ultra talented) winger.

I’m so happy to be wrong

I really liked the idea of Strome but he just gave me a Joe Colbkrne vibe. Glad we weren’t interested in him but I also don’t know if it is because we knew the Coyotes were going to take him. Any time you saw the Otters play, it never looked like he was driving his line on a consistent basis.

This team would look a lot worse if you subtract Marner for Strome or Hanifin. Hitting on Nylander, Marner and obviously Matthews was a nice little lucky streak.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I really liked the idea of Strome but he just gave me a Joe Colbkrne vibe. Glad we weren’t interested in him but I also don’t know if it is because we knew the Coyotes were going to take him. Any time you saw the Otters play, it never looked like he was driving his line on a consistent basis.

This team would look a lot worse if you subtract Marner for Strome or Hanifin. Hitting on Nylander, Marner and obviously Matthews was a nice little lucky streak.

i don't know (really) re: Hanifin.
Maybe if he was here - with a good coach like Babcock and a winning atmosphere, his development would have turned a bit better. and defensemen are stupid weird. he could like get it together later in his career.

though. i still never believe the Leafs were on Hanifin (minus Babcock, and i think he just wanted a defenseman not him, and so had we gone Werenski for example, i don't think we're a lot worse).

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Is that good?

Is Morgan a #1D now? I know he’s no Parayko but he’s got to be a solid #3 for sure.

Sure he can get 4 asissts in a game, but can he score 4 goals in a game like Ian Turnbull did as a leaf?

Have loved to see the Leafs dominate 7-2 and 6-1, although I'd really like them to do things like in the old days when a pair of dominating games were the likes of 10-0 and 9-1:naughty:

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Just to keep it real, Johnsson didn't have a shot on net, and was really a passenger on that line tonight, it was the usual show between the two forwards. I love Johnsson, and I see the rationale of mixing up the lines, but let's not use tonight to extrapolate a point that isn't supported by the stats or the eye. JT and Marner have done this all year.

At least the cycle game does not die on Johnsson's stick. He doesn't try blind passes in front of the net to the defenseman's stick

Reactions: stickty111

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Fun side-note, with his 4 points tonight Auston Matthews now has 165 points in 165 games, meaning for the first time since early in his rookie season, he is a point-per-game player.

Attachments

• Auston Matthews Stats.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 4

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
i don't think there has been even one game when he wasn't flying

His compete is simply unreal, if he can "just" become 30-30 with his heart, grit and soul, that would be EPIC.

And I'm gonna toot my own horn for calling for him to be played in his current role as far back as last year, he is simply sick sick sick and his ceiling may be much higher than even we envision considering what absolute dogged hard workers he and his father were/are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad