Post-Game Talk: Now thats what we call a dominating response, Leafs win 6-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
So after watching this game, my question is: where the hell were these guys last week?!

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Kapanen and Matthews is proving to be a great duo. Somehow I mistook Kapanen for Nylander skating up the ice. Kapanen is slowly becoming more intelligent in his play with the puck. Knowing when to drop pass, linking up with Matthews. I have no doubt in my mind, Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander would absolutely torch the league.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I think there is plenty of question, personally.

It's close (closer than HF will admit) but McDonagh tips it for me. Rielly and Hedman this season is a wash. Hedman is better defensively but I think Rielly is better offensively. Then make up for whatever you will on the opposite spectrum. McDonagh > Gardiner but I like Dermott personally more than Sergachev. They also have been together longer (the system that is) so they're better at supporting the puck.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's close (closer than HF will admit) but McDonagh tips it for me. Rielly and Hedman this season is a wash. Hedman is better defensively but I think Rielly is better offensively. Then make up for whatever you will on the opposite spectrum. McDonagh > Gardiner but I like Dermott personally more than Sergachev. They also have been together longer (the system that is) so they're better at supporting the puck.

I've always found the idea that Hedman is good defensively to be a bit funny. what is the evidence for it? because he's big?

Reactions: Atomos2

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Kapanen and Matthews is proving to be a great duo. Somehow I mistook Kapanen for Nylander skating up the ice. Kapanen is slowly becoming more intelligent in his play with the puck. Knowing when to drop pass, linking up with Matthews. I have no doubt in my mind, Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander would absolutely torch the league.

it's their gorgeous hair flowing in the wind.

Reactions: TimeZone and Shanty

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Tampa's D looks better because their forwards back check and pressure the puck like ultimate warrior on steroids.

If Leafs had the same puck pursuit from their forwards Hedman would look mediocre in front of Mo

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I've always found the idea that Hedman is good defensively to be a bit funny. what is the evidence for it? because he's big?

Nah. He separates guys from the puck very efficiently and his height gives him an advantage at that. It's not a huge gap for either or now that Rielly has taken a huge stride.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Tampa's D looks better because their forwards back check and pressure the puck like ultimate warrior on steroids.

TOR: 2.76ga/gm (#4), 32.9sa/gm (#24)
TBL: 2.86ga/gm (#12), 32.3sa/gm (#22)

maybe it only "looks better" because people aren't looking as closely?

Last edited:
Reactions: GBLeaf

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
There was a debate between Matthews and Laine - my question is "is he better then Marner?" :laugh:

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Playoffs is all that matters. We got chewed out by Boston, for the most part, while they took care of them in 5 games. I love our team, but if Dubas does not do something to address our D before the playoffs we might suffer the same fate again.

This team is a different team than last year's? And taking such a small sample size over a much larger one doesn't prove anything.

Tampa only "handled" Boston because we put Boston through a grueling 7 game series while Tampa got to coast against New Jersey. Got "chewed out" by Boston my ass.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

If Leafs had the same puck pursuit from their forwards Hedman would look mediocre in front of Mo
Tampa is a carbon copy of the Leafs with same weakness... Neither team will win a cup if they don't incorporate more compete in there game. 82 game season with a schedule that teams play 3 games in 4 nights in 3 different cities isn't the same thing as playing in a playoff series. During the season both teams get away by means of offensive depth and goaltending where neither team has a strong cycle game. Both teams rely too much on goaltending the way they play... difference is the Leafs have a coach that knows how they're playing wont get it done in the end. When your skill out weighs your compete the only way to win in the playoffs is if your goaltending stands on it's head. We're not there yet and neither is Tampa.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

Kapanen has really blossomed. He’s developed an excellent defensive game; most notably his back check, but his offensive instincts are catching up with the raw talent he has.

This is a kid that’s growing up, and starting to fulfill his potential.

Damn, it feels GREAT to be a Leafs fan :)

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Sooo dominating. One of the worst teams in the east. Your guys are ****ed.
As opposed to that trash bucket team that has set the standard for failure after being gifted 4 first overall picks by the league including the best player in the NHL and still aren't able to pick themselves up from the bottom?

And you think Hughes will be the next answer? :biglaugh:

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
It was more so because of the way he carried the puck lol. Even on Matthews one timer goal last night, when he turned and started controlling the puck close to him, it reminded me of Nylander.

Hes starting to play like last years Nylander - less of a sniper, but 10X the defensive player.
Just starting to get use to Matthews as well.

Kapanen has really blossomed. He’s developed an excellent defensive game; most notably his back check, but his offensive instincts are catching up with the raw talent he has.

This is a kid that’s growing up, and starting to fulfill his potential.

Damn, it feels GREAT to be a Leafs fan :)

If Nylander gets up to speed Matthews will be in winger heaven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad