Post-Game Talk: Now thats what we call a dominating response, Leafs win 6-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Also Greg Millen is the absolute worst.

Not even 10 minutes into the game he starts showing his ***** for Luongo “the way he looks tonight you’re gonna need some traffic, he’s in one of those grooves” dude we’re not even half way through the first lol.

He was SO sure that Kadri's kick was a goal. Just so sure.

I was watching that the entire time going "no way they will allow this."

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
As much as I want to believe it, Tampa Bay has us beat on defence.

We cannot match their defensive depth, all other things being equal.

We match up well against them in a 7 game series, and I fear them less than Boston in the playoffs (Boston is in our guys head's, plain and simple), but if Tampa beats us, a lot of it will be due the strength of their D.

They are a crazy well-built team, and talk of Karlsson signing there in the off-season to play with Hedman would be just insane...... if the Karlsson of old re-emerges.

Toronto has been better in goals allowed over the last two seasons and apparently Tampa Bay has better goaltending than us so....

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's hard not to go into a game thinking the Leafs won't steamroll the opposition. They are that good.

well, if you're going to use bad games as a measuring stick of a team, shouldn't you know how many they and other good teams have had?

You misunderstand my good man. I wasn't measuring anything, just responding to the above post. On any given day we could win or lose against any team and I most certainly don't go into any game thinking we will steamroll the opposition. That is of course nothing more than my humble opinion, feel free to disagree.

I will measure this team mostly by how we do in the playoffs. I like our team a lot and I hope we do big things this spring but I also understand that due to the idiotic PO structure, we may play a very good team already in the first round and losing is definitely within the realm of possibility. So for now, I will enjoy the fact that we're looking good most nights, but I have some more waiting to do before I start chirping.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Anyone notice how Babcock is usually kind of in a bad mood when the team wins and in a good mood when they lose.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
As much as I want to believe it, Tampa Bay has us beat on defence.

We cannot match their defensive depth, all other things being equal.

sure we can.

Rielly - Hedman
Jake - Mcdonagh
Dermott - Sergachev
Hainsey - Stralman
Zaitsev - Girardi
Ozzy - Coburn

Reactions: nobody

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
sure we can.

Rielly - Hedman
Jake - Mcdonagh
Dermott - Sergachev
Hainsey - Stralman
Zaitsev - Girardi
Ozzy - Coburn

Perhaps, but I really think it is up to the system and forwards.

If half your forwards are at center ice with the puck in your zone on the opposition sticks Andersen has to be on his game.

It is a work in progress, and if Panthers score on their 3-4 odd man rushes to start the game last night things might not look as good today.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
sure we can.

Rielly - Hedman
Jake - Mcdonagh
Dermott - Sergachev
Hainsey - Stralman
Zaitsev - Girardi
Ozzy - Coburn

Not to suggest that we couldn't beat Tampa Bay in a 7 game series, but they have a stronger blueline without question, especially for playoff hockey.

Vasilevky might have an edge over Andersen too. I would take our top 9 over their top 9 though, and I don't think there's another NHL club that can make that statement.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Not to suggest that we couldn't beat Tampa Bay in a 7 game series, but they have a stronger blueline without question, especially for playoff hockey.

I think there is plenty of question, personally.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010

Vasilevky might have an edge over Andersen too. I would take our top 9 over their top 9 though, and I don't think there's another NHL club that can make that statement.

Rielly Hedman
Pietrangelo McDonagh
Gardiner Stralman
Dermott Sergachev
Hainsey Girardi
Zaitsev Coburn

NHL experience or NHL ready:
Ozhiganov
Borgman
Marincin
Liljegren
Rosen
Sandin

In terms of depth we have them beat if injuries happen equally. We just need that McDonagh type trade they pulled last year.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Rielly Hedman
Pietrangelo McDonagh
Gardiner Stralman
Dermott Sergachev
Hainsey Girardi
Zaitsev Coburn

Ozhiganov
Borgman
Marincin
Liljegren
Rosen
Sandin

In terms of depth we have them beat if injuries happen equally. We just need that McDonagh type trade they pulled last year.

Pietro is far better than Mcdonagh, and Jake is far better than Stralman.

Reactions: A1LeafNation

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Rielly Hedman
Pietrangelo McDonagh
Gardiner Stralman
Dermott Sergachev
Hainsey Girardi
Zaitsev Coburn

Ozhiganov
Borgman
Marincin
Liljegren
Rosen
Sandin

What the hell is Pietrangelo doing there?

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I agree with ya.

Many True fans don't have 2000$ to dish out on a game not including drinks, dinner, parking, and the occasional leaf T shirt impulse buy. hahaha

Alot of these corporate lads in the crowd, barely follow the leafs. Its just a gift from the boss. Some of them still name drop Komorov, or JVR... they boast of the mighty power play from 2 months ago, not knowing we were struggling lately.

Its extreme, but it shows the scarcity of more die hard leaf fans into the crowd, when the resale goes up +450$ and only companies can buy em in bulk to the tune of 45,000 dollars a season.

I'm saving it all for the playoff resell... i'll be broke but rich in Glory
Many people leave from the cheap seats (where the real fans are) 1/2 way through the 3rd regardless of the score.
Not sure if they are part of the multitudes that show up late for every period.

Thread is disappointing, I really expected more Hyman whining.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
What the hell is Pietrangelo doing there?
^See comment above.

"We just need that McDonagh type trade they pulled last year.

The problem is that you risk upsetting the chemistry. While a Rielly/Pietrangelo pair is are good on paper, Rielly and Hainsey have hundreds if not thousands of reps together, they know how to play with one another in all scenarios.

Rielly and Pietrangelo may not be good right away, it would be a work in progress which may not give the them enough time in terms of being successful in the playoffs. However, the learning curve is quick for elite players.

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Toronto has been better in goals allowed over the last two seasons and apparently Tampa Bay has better goaltending than us so....

Playoffs is all that matters. We got chewed out by Boston, for the most part, while they took care of them in 5 games. I love our team, but if Dubas does not do something to address our D before the playoffs we might suffer the same fate again.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Playoffs is all that matters. We got chewed out by Boston, for the most part, while they took care of them in 5 games. I love our team, but if Dubas does not do something to address our D before the playoffs we might suffer the same fate again.
Tampa also got to play Boston after the leafs took them to 7 in a very hard fought series. Not the same as playing them fresh in the first round like the leafs.

The reason the leafs lost last year is 1 main reason and 1 secondary reason. The main reason was the Leafs had no answer to the Bergeron line who dominated Matthews line the entire series.

The secondary reason is the suspension to Naz. I think we could have won if he played all the games.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Good win last night. I am glad TOR didn't let FLA punch them in the nose.

I think I saw one moment in the game where two of our D-men laid a hit on a FLA player at the same time.

Sort of like the Malachi Crunch (for those of you who remember Happy Days).

2718817256_5f9e91ee9c_z.jpg

Kudos!

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Tampa also got to play Boston after the leafs took them to 7 in a very hard fought series. Not the same as playing them fresh in the first round like the leafs.

The reason the leafs lost last year is 1 main reason and 1 secondary reason. The main reason was the Leafs had no answer to the Bergeron line who dominated Matthews line the entire series.

The secondary reason is the suspension to Naz. I think we could have won if he played all the games.

They had no answer because the D is suspect, and still is. Game 1 gave up 6 goals, game 7 7 goals. You're not going to win many series like this. How many games did Tampa give up 6+ goals in last season's playoffs? I realize we're a young team and some internal growth should also be expected.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
They had no answer because the D is suspect, and still is. Game 1 gave up 6 goals, game 7 7 goals. You're not going to win many series like this. How many games did Tampa give up 6+ goals in last season's playoffs?
Disagree, Matthews line couldn't even produce at even strength and the leafs team defense was a a joke rather than the defenders themselves who individually had bad games.

The amount of times the leaf forwards would cheat out of the defensive zone or not cover pinches etc was a joke. Boston's forwards always covered their defenders.

Game 1 was Rielly's worst game ever and Game 7 Andy let in some of the softest goals I've seen him let in.

We have also added a vet superstar center who is defensively responsible and all the young core has gotten better and more accustomed to the game.

I don't know how the check Tampa's individual game logs from last years playoffs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not sure if it was mentioned, but Marner is such a sore goal scorer.

He was so disappointed he scored that goal and they didn't get a hattie.

He first tried to get Matthews to score the 3rd. and then tried to get Tavares the 3rd. but nope gets himself in a snit because he scored ...

:sarcasm:

His new $10 mil /season contract should be able to cheer himself up a little. :wg:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Disagree, Matthews line couldn't even produce at even strength and the leafs team defense was a a joke rather than the defenders themselves who individually had bad games.

The amount of times the leaf forwards would cheat out of the defensive zone or not cover pinches etc was a joke. Boston's forwards always covered their defenders.

Game 1 was Rielly's worst game ever and Game 7 Andy let in some of the softest goals I've seen him let in.

We have also added a vet superstar center who is defensively responsible and all the young core has gotten better and more accustomed to the game.

I don't know how the check Tampa's individual game logs from last years playoffs.

Like I said, we can expect some internal growth but the Leafs can not play scared in the playoffs. They have to show us that they can play sound defensive hockey in the playoffs.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Like I said, we can expect some internal growth but the Leafs can not play scared in the playoffs. They have to show us that they can play sound defensive hockey in the playoffs.
Completely agree. The entire team needs to play better defense, tighten up positonally and not cheat to the neutral zone so early.

Though in my 20+ years of watching hockey that was one of the roughest series I have seen with no calls to protect Toronto players.

I just dont think the individual defenders were at fault for last years loss for Bruins.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I'm happy I was wrong about Barkov taking us back to the woodshed again. Great game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->