Post-Game Talk: Now thats what we call a dominating response, Leafs win 6-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Was busy all day, just catching up now. Saw Hyman's injured.

What were the lines with his absence?
Marleau Matthews Kapanen
Johnsson Tavares Marner
Brown Kadri Nylander
Lindholm Gauthier Ennis

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Marincin

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Worst thing about this game was Nylander.

Yet, I thought that this was Nylander's best game. He's still not where he should be, showing rust and the timing is off, but for the first time, he started to look like Nylander in moments. That puck possession, of carrying it through and around the offensive zone, and creating a play.... It's starting to come together for him, and probably will in a few games.... funny though, we win 6-1, and one of our top offensive threats, still isn't at his potential...

This was a game, at least for the first two periods, where the team played, the way Dubas and Babcock want them to play. Puck movement out of the zone, transition, and possession in the offensive zone. The more you have the puck in the Ozone, the less chances you give up. After two periods, not a single Leaf was under 50% CF.... and some were around 70%... that's the Leafs they want.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Marleau Matthews Kapanen
Johnsson Tavares Marner
Brown Kadri Nylander
Lindholm Gauthier Ennis

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Marincin

Not bad.

Saw Oz was out too.

Still would like one of the Marlies who are playing well to get a shot .. Oh well, minor details. The Leafs need to see if the Goat can do something with this opportunity.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
after going on the FLorida road trip and not seeing a win, I score tickets to tonight game! It was amazing to finally see a win!

Reactions: Heritage

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Back to back "taking care of business" sort of wins.

With the Rangers and then Wings on a back to back this weekend, there's a chance to head into the Christmas break on a 4 game streak.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Appreciated the Leafs crowd giving Reimer a well-deserved ovation.
Not gonna lie, got some goosebumps.

James is an average goalie, but a great person who always battles. I can appreciate that.

I know what Millen likes about him... "Thoseee eyes!! LOOK at those eyes" :laugh:

342.jpg

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Yet, I thought that this was Nylander's best game. He's still not where he should be, showing rust and the timing is off, but for the first time, he started to look like Nylander in moments. That puck possession, of carrying it through and around the offensive zone, and creating a play.... It's starting to come together for him, and probably will in a few games.... funny though, we win 6-1, and one of our top offensive threats, still isn't at his potential...

This was a game, at least for the first two periods, where the team played, the way Dubas and Babcock want them to play. Puck movement out of the zone, transition, and possession in the offensive zone. The more you have the puck in the Ozone, the less chances you give up. After two periods, not a single Leaf was under 50% CF.... and some were around 70%... that's the Leafs they want.

I think Johnsson and Hyman should be switched depending on if we need more speed and puck mobility. Or some grit.

So interesting to see how we do with Hymans absence - im saying that with pure curiosity.

So far Hyman off has been us flying

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
His compete is simply unreal, if he can "just" become 30-30 with his heart, grit and soul, that would be EPIC.

And I'm gonna toot my own horn for calling for him to be played in his current role as far back as last year, he is simply sick sick sick and his ceiling may be much higher than even we envision considering what absolute dogged hard workers he and his father were/are.

I thought it was funny when I first found out that some scouts thought kap was gonna be better than nylander back at the draft. Doesnt look quite as funny anymore

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
For some reason no one is comparing Barzal to Marner this season? :laugh:

Oh man, go on the NY board, and they are going over every excuse in the books for Barzel. They will never admit that maybe he is not a 90pt franchise player. They blame everything for his struggles :laugh::laugh:

Could it be that he just had a really historic rookie season... and is coming back down to earth :huh::huh:

Regardless, the whole Barzel thread is a shit show, and TWS is right in the middle of it lol

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Reimer would be perfect as a 20-25 game backup and I'd take him back in a second in the off season if Sparks can't hack with a nice chunk of retention (@2.75), he's inconsistent but he can still throw up stretches of insane play (he was a .913 goalie with 22 wins last year). Ride hands accordingly but generally set out to play Freddie 55-57, Reims 21-24 and the remaining 1-6 games to a third stringer/kid.

As amazing as Matthews, Tavares, Rielly, Marner and Andersen are, and that's a lot of good players, let's give some love to our studly supporting cast.

:leafs

Kadri was catching some heat but he's 1-6-7 in his last five games and clipping along at his typical 0.66 PPG. Less goals than expected (9), but given Kadri scores in bunches and can go through slumps (often one after the other), he could still hit 30.

Kapanen with an assist, also going at 0.66 PPG, his speed causes tons of problems, and I really hope he takes a reasonable bridge. If it's between him and Johnsson, he's winning the battle easily.

Jake is getting undersold because of Jesus Rielly, pacing for 50 points again with four assists in the last five in what's probably his last year as a Leaf coming up on 250+ points on the backend, he'll pass Iafrate and maybe Gill for 7th all time and will be top 10 in games played. I would keep him at 5.25, but he just got married and is starting his family and this is his chance to lock in the most money and probably the most term, he'll sign a deal at 6x6.5 or 5x7 somewhere.

Ennis picked himself up by the bootstraps and if he plays 60+ games this year he'll get a contract for sure, maybe not with us (if his play continues I would at 2x1.8) but he's taken to his role really well; energy, forechecking, some touch around the net and decent vision and few glaring mistakes defensively (the fourth line in general has been good), I greatly admire the compete and tenacity there.

Even old man Marleau, at the rate he's scoring (20+ goals again) should pass some big names this year and Brownie who I've maligned before has looked great for about the last 5-6 games and recently got some points.

The way they're humming along I wouldn't be shocked if we make it three beat downs in a row on Saturday.

Last edited:

NastyKnies

Feb 20, 2010
Canada
Not gonna lie, got some goosebumps.

James is an average goalie, but a great person who always battles. I can appreciate that.

I know what Millen likes about him... "Thoseee eyes!! LOOK at those eyes" :laugh:

342.jpg
I legit had tears in my eyes when Toronto gave him a standing O. love this guy.

Reactions: Tall Morty

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
A note on Nylander, he would have got an assist on the Kadri goal that was waved off, if it had counted.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I thought Marincin did exactly what a defensive defenseman should do last night. Broke up plenty of plays and actually had some good passes and shots. He showed some good value as a #6-7 D.

Nylander was solid last night and probably could have had a couple goals. His speed isn't really noticeable yet but I think he's pacing himself. Either way, it'll come very soon.

2 dominating games in a row. I wonder how far they can take it playing like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad