Notice Pierre McGuires bitterness?

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
Bringing the whole panel to Buffalo and talking non stop about the same things: Canada's heart and soul attitude, gritty canadians, this player coming from a small town in Manitoba where the winters are tough and that he comes from a good hard working family, that player coming from a small town in Ontario where the people are so great and that that's where he got his positive attitude and drive. They also have this hard as stone idea that somehow grit and passion is a only a trait that Canadians have.

:handclap: :yo: :handclap:

It's simply disrespect towards other nations imo, especially the "smaller" ones.

They need to realize how much "heart" is needed in order for Sweden (remember, even Sweden has a population<10.000.000), Finland or the Swiss with such a smaller player pool and smaller junior development system and different style and ice-size to even be competitive against Canada and the US.

They totally ignore that. The constant babbling about Canada having the monopoly on "heart" and "grit" drives me up the wall, it's ridiculous.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Im Canadian, I dont have to insult Russia and our own team to show my passion.

It is when its embarrassing to our country, its players, and its fans.

Pierre gets mocked for doing those things, yet these boards were FILLED with the same things, yet its OK, because we have PASSION.

I think Pierre went a bit overboard last night, as did some Canadian fans, no doubt.

But I also came on to say congrats to Russia and how proud their country should be of them, and I got trolled left and right with people trying to get me to fight with them, even though I felt like I was trying to be positive about the play of the Russians. Oddly, a lot of it was Americans and Swedes.:dunno:

Canada does not hold the copyright on being insulting.

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
If you were expecting a celebratory mood from the national carrier of the team that blew a 3-0 lead with 20 minutes to play in the gold medal final, well then I don't think you understand sports media all that well. TSN's mandate isn't to cover the WJC equally and objectively, ostensibly they're telling the story of Team Canada to a Canadian audience. That doesn't mean they don't applaud excellent opposing performances. Last year they were extremely laudatory about Fowler, Stepan, Schreoder, Carlson, Campbell, Nino(built him up like a folk hero), MPS, Vatanen to name a few. And this year I saw plenty of praise for Cehlin, Larsson, Tarasenko, Orlov, Kuznetsov, Campbell, Conz, Landeskog, Erixion, Kitsyn, Jarnkrok, Pulkinen, Panik, Ortio just off the top of my head. At the end of the day I'd still guess they've broadcast the most non-national WJC games of any carrier worldwide in the past ten years.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
If you were expecting a celebratory mood from the national carrier of the team that blew a 3-0 lead with 20 minutes to play in the gold medal final, well then I don't think you understand sports media all that well. TSN's mandate isn't to cover the WJC equally and objectively, ostensibly they're telling the story of Team Canada to a Canadian audience. That doesn't mean they don't applaud excellent opposing performances. Last year they were extremely laudatory about Fowler, Stepan, Schreoder, Carlson, Campbell, Nino(built him up like a folk hero), MPS, Vatanen to name a few. And this year I saw plenty of praise for Cehlin, Larsson, Tarasenko, Orlov, Kuznetsov, Campbell, Conz, Landeskog, Erixion, Kitsyn, Jarnkrok, Pulkinen, Panik, Ortio just off the top of my head. At the end of the day I'd still guess they've broadcast the most non-national WJC games of any carrier worldwide in the past ten years.

Good call brother.

Evil Romano

Jan 3, 2011
Bassano Vicenza
I usually like Pierre, but I do not approve of the way he portraits Canada, and the other teams for that matter. During the aftermath of the game, they were practically - although not quite literally - saying that Canada is superior, but that "something we can not explain happened". Something paranormal. Just the way they were asking each other "What just happened" - as if it was impossible and out of question that Canada would lose. They are supposed to act professionally - not like the god damn parents watching their kids play on the ice!

"Put that in your pipe and SMOKE IT PIERRE!"

That's for being so cocky and overconfident. And this goes out to every announcer out there, not just the Canadians.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I usually like Pierre, but I do not approve of the way he portraits Canada, and the other teams for that matter. During the aftermath of the game, they were practically - although not quite literally - saying that Canada is superior, but that "something we can not explain happened". Something paranormal. Just the way they were asking each other "What just happened" - as if it was impossible and out of question that Canada would lose. They are supposed to act professionally - not like the god damn parents watching their kids play on the ice!

"Put that in your pipe and SMOKE IT PIERRE!"

That's for being so cocky and overconfident. And this goes out to every announcer out there, not just the Canadians.

"What just happened" is exactly what 10 million Canadians were thinking. Not that strange of a question imo.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I don't min Pierre doing NHL games, because to me he's simply in one ear and out the other. But with the WJC, it's very hard to ignore him.

Now, I would assume that everyone here who does not want Pierre doing the World Junior games has written TSN and expressed their displeasure, riiiiiiiight?

Personally I wouldn't mind Cuthbert and Ferraro doing it. I guess it would depend if they wanted to do it though.

JSilvius*

Lol yeah that was hilarious.

Instead of being happy for the russians, Pierre, with his little sore loser sick puppy voice, says something like: "oh and they're passing right by the canadians".

I'm absolutely thrilled that Canada lost. Every single year, it's the same stuff. From the national media coverage, especially TSN, that treats these players like some kind of gods to the ever-lasting idea that somehow if Canada doesn't win, it's either "the biggest upset in wjc history", "they steal it from them", "Canada gets the gold medal ripped out of their hands"..

And by God, and I mean BY GOD people, if a coach from another team dares say that playing the czechs and russians was tougher than playing the canadians, HOLY MAMA GET THE MOUNTIES OUT....What??? How dare he??? You then get the reporters asking the canadian coach about the remarks and he has that stupid smirk all the long meaning like "well, he can say what he wants but we're so overly confident that hey!, he won't know what hit him". The TSN panel was the same, they were all kinda smiling at the remark and gave that general "we'll see cowboy, won't we!" look.

Bringing the whole panel to Buffalo and talking non stop about the same things: Canada's heart and soul attitude, gritty canadians, this player coming from a small town in Manitoba where the winters are tough and that he comes from a good hard working family, that player coming from a small town in Ontario where the people are so great and that that's where he got his positive attitude and drive. They also have this hard as stone idea that somehow grit and passion is a only a trait that Canadians have.

To be honest, it's sickening. Over the years, I've watched this tournament less and less, I've almost completely boycotted TSN during the event. For them, the world juniors has more importance (so coverage) than the Stanley Cup, the Olympics, the World Championships and the Winter Classic put together.

They keep making videos about the same things. Have you seen the TSN video zone? It's incredible. From the video portraits of each player, talking about how great they are, how fantastic the little village deep down in a saskatchewan valley they live in is, how great the people are, and then you get Pierre who drools over each and every player.

When I woke up this morning and saw the front page on TSN, as you could expect, I had big fat smile on my face.

Yup, I agree with most of this. TSN is awful, and the Canadian bandwagon fans are even worse. I signed onto Facebook and read all of the Pejorative Slured comments from people who have probably watched 10 hockey games in their lives. At the start of the game, everyone had cocky Facebook statuses about Team Canada and then as it ended everyone flipped out and had stupid statuses telling the Russians to go drink vodka and see dentists. Just terrible. I'm glad Canada lost. I used to love the tournament when I was a kid, and I'd love when Canada won. TSN and bandwagon fans have absolutely ruined it for me. The gold medal game is the only game I watched, and I was happy with the outcome.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
It is not just the comment itself (Duh) it's the way they were saying it, and the underlying message.

So Canada beats Russia 6-3 in the round robin, runs over the US one game earlier, Visentin had let in 2 goals in the entire tournament prior to that game, and they're up 3-0 with 20 mins left and you weren't shocked the Russians scored 5 unanswered goals for the gold?? Guaranteed even the Russian kids were shocked at what they did. I don't see what the big deal is with them being surprised they lost...

Evil Romano

Jan 3, 2011
Bassano Vicenza
So Canada beats Russia 6-3 in the round robin, runs over the US one game earlier, Visentin had let in 2 goals in the entire tournament prior to that game, and they're up 3-0 with 20 mins left and you weren't shocked the Russians scored 5 unanswered goals for the gold?? Guaranteed even the Russian kids were shocked at what they did. I don't see what the big deal is with them being surprised they lost...

You know what? This is hockey. The Americans beat you last year but I don't hear you saying they were the best team. But you beat Russia and then suddenly you are a better team. And then they beat you (well... humiliated you is a better way to put it) and this would logically make them the better team, but of course you are still superior to everyone. This is the Canadian mentality. Even if you would lose six straight games - you would still claim you're essentially the best team in the tournament, but claim the opposite if it happened to any other team. No matter the outcome, the Canadians are gods.

Shocked? A little, yes, but then I think about what sport this actually is. And when I say to myself, "Hey, this is hockey", I suddenly feel everything can happen. Because it ain't over until the... well you know. Additionally, I find this whole thing rather funny, yet paradoxical. Whenever you "run over" a team - as you put it - you are the greatest. Forever and ever. When another team RUNS OVER YOU, you are still the greatest. Have you no ****ing shame?

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
You know what? This is hockey. The Americans beat you last year but I don't hear you saying they were the best team. But you beat Russia and then suddenly you are a better team. And then they beat you (well... humiliated you is a better way to put it) and this would logically make them the better team, but of course you are still superior to everyone. This is the Canadian mentality. Even if you would lose six straight games - you would still claim you're essentially the best team in the tournament, but claim the opposite if it happened to any other team. No matter the outcome, the Canadians are gods.

Shocked? A little, yes, but then I think about what sport this actually is. And when I say to myself, "Hey, this is hockey", I suddenly feel everything can happen. Because it ain't over until the... well you know. Additionally, I find this whole thing rather funny, yet paradoxical. Whenever you "run over" a team - as you put it - you are the greatest. Forever and ever. When another team RUNS OVER YOU, you are still the greatest. Have you no ****ing shame?

Easy there brother, you're clearly not reading closely enough. US was the best team last year, Russia is the best team this year. period. All I was simply saying was everyone (including the broadcast crew) was shocked about what took place and there's nothing wrong with that.

Evil Romano

Jan 3, 2011
Bassano Vicenza
Easy there brother, you're clearly not reading closely enough. US was the best team last year, Russia is the best team this year. period. All I was simply saying was everyone (including the broadcast crew) was shocked about what took place and there's nothing wrong with that.

My fingers were a bit too eager to make a point I guess. I apologize! :D

saveourpens

Jul 3, 2006
Pittsburgh
To be fair to TSN, I watched some of the Russian broadcast of the game and I'm not sure if they're supposed to be impartial or not but they were big fanboys... they implied that Russia won't get the calls because the refs favor Canada....towards the end they were like "what is Orlov doing?! You have two guys on you, just get it out of the zone!"

Pushkin

Aug 29, 2010
TSN is doing a great job the only problem I have is they have resorted to the nearly racist theory that Canadians have more heart than Europeans and almost made it an accepted theory...At the same time most of them don't like Cherry because he's the king in the canadian hockey media folklore and he's telling it more openly...You can take Cherry's thought with a grain of salt but when and entire and normaly respected network tends to try to sell that to you it's just stupid and like I said nearly open racism on tv.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
That Wikegård is Pejorative Slured should come as no surprise.
This Härenstam/Wikegård combo really gets on my nerves, Härenstam clearly doesn't know hockey and Wikegård is a Swedish Pierre McGuire.

Then again I do hate all homer announcers, seriously be professional and let the viewer make up his own mind about whats going on without clouding it with your own biased opinions.

So who would you prefer? leif doork?

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
TSN is doing a great job the only problem I have is they have resorted to the nearly racist theory that Canadians have more heart than Europeans and almost made it an accepted theory...At the same time most of them don't like Cherry because he's the king in the canadian hockey media folklore and he's telling it more openly...You can take Cherry's thought with a grain of salt but when and entire and normaly respected network tends to try to sell that to you it's just stupid and like I said nearly open racism on tv.

Thats not beeing racist is it right not but its not beeing raicst.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad