Notice Pierre McGuires bitterness?

Meatwad

Feb 17, 2004
Vancouver
His overconfidence in Team Canada, his little remarks when Russia was celebrating and his general tone. Atleast Gord Miller was trying to sound excited when Russia scored their goals, Pierre was all quiet and montone when Russia was doing well. Pierre never really gave Russia any credit at all or maybe I missed his one comment on it. Why is he so biased for us Canadians when he himself is an American?

I really can't stand the guy, I don't think he should be doing these WJC games anymore.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Biased announcing is fine......but announcers should not get too emotionally involved if the quality of one's announcing performance is influenced by what happens on the ice. That certainly happened to Pierre.

Last edited:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
He's passionate. I see nothing wrong with that.

Does he go over the top at times? Sure but I'll take that along with his passion.

I wonder what Cherry will say about this game:laugh:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I thought I was watching the 2004 final when the U.S. beat Canada 4-3. Pierre sounded all defeated then too....

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
Biased announcing is fine......but announcers should not get too emotionally involved if the quality of one's announcing performance is influenced by what happens on the ice. That certainly happened to Pierre.

I heard it too, he was all fired up in the first then near the end of the game the excitement in his voice was gone like a little boy just watched his puppy get run over. :laugh:

Best thing about the WJHC being over every year? Not having to listen to McGuire gush about a good shift by a gritty kid from a little town in < insert province here >.

Edit to add that, after I thought about it -its great he pumps these kids tires up on national tv - some of them will never get on national tv again. But, it gets a little much every year.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Its a lot like the attitude on this board actually. There were some pretty embarrassing comments by Canadians last night right here.

Last edited:

Bizarro Bandwagoner

Jan 30, 2010
Maine
He's passionate. I see nothing wrong with that.

Does he go over the top at times? Sure but I'll take that along with his passion.

I wonder what Cherry will say about this game:laugh:

A montage of eligible NHL players, no doubt. He's right but we already know.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Canadian fans are passionate. Nothing wrong with that.

Im Canadian, I dont have to insult Russia and our own team to show my passion.

It is when its embarrassing to our country, its players, and its fans.

Pierre gets mocked for doing those things, yet these boards were FILLED with the same things, yet its OK, because we have PASSION.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Canadian fans are passionate. Nothing wrong with that.

We are and some times a little too passionate.

I do find it kind of ironic how some here love to hate on us for being cocky.

After witnessing the behaviour of some Americans at the Little League World Series, I think we're tame compared to them and those kids are 11 and 12:laugh:

Sexington

Feb 6, 2007
Calgary, AB
Im Canadian, I dont have to insult Russia and our own team to show my passion.

It is when its embarrassing to our country, its players, and its fans.

Pierre gets mocked for doing those things, yet these boards were FILLED with the same things, yet its OK, because we have PASSION.

Pierre is supposed to be a professional.

Turboflex*

this whole tournament is embarrassing for canada, from the ridiculous TSN hype, to all the bandwagoner fans (a lot of whom do not even watch hockey). Now we have players who have been raised on it too.

I am a proud Canadian but getting into a nationalist fever over sports (especially over silly 1 game elimination junior hockey) is just pathetic.

I am kind of glad that Russia won, the tears will be delicious. Grats to team Russia, well done, especially Tarasenko WOW, reminded me of Saku Koivu (with cracked ribs too) leading the #7 & 8 seeded Habs over the #1 & 2 bruins 2 years in a row.

Pondwaterpierre*

Funniest comment all night.

Pierre: The Canadians are gonna remember that next year skating by them celebrating with the trophy.

Gord: The Russians are only bringing back one player Pierre.

Pierre: Well the Canadians are bringing back seven!

Meatwad

Feb 17, 2004
Vancouver

Pierre: The Canadians are gonna remember that next year skating by them celebrating with the trophy.

lol when he said that its like he snarled back at gord. I laughed, because he was so serious about it.

Sep 19, 2008
He was extremely somber during "The Comeback"

"This is the worst collapse in World Juniors."

When doing the TSN Sportscentre postgame he seemed to compose himself but during the telecast he didn't seem too pleased

Gord sounded surprised too, there was a somber mood all throughout TSN with Duthrie sad, etc

Koss

That was great, almost as good as the icing/no icing scrap Gord and Pierre had a couple nights ago in the SWE/RUS game.

Pierre is annoying and embarrassing, but his entertainment value is throught the roof. Also, his analysis of the game is very good I hate to admit, once you get past the man-crush creepiness.

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg
Lol yeah that was hilarious.

Instead of being happy for the russians, Pierre, with his little sore loser sick puppy voice, says something like: "oh and they're passing right by the canadians".

I'm absolutely thrilled that Canada lost. Every single year, it's the same stuff. From the national media coverage, especially TSN, that treats these players like some kind of gods to the ever-lasting idea that somehow if Canada doesn't win, it's either "the biggest upset in wjc history", "they steal it from them", "Canada gets the gold medal ripped out of their hands"..

And by God, and I mean BY GOD people, if a coach from another team dares say that playing the czechs and russians was tougher than playing the canadians, HOLY MAMA GET THE MOUNTIES OUT....What??? How dare he??? You then get the reporters asking the canadian coach about the remarks and he has that stupid smirk all the long meaning like "well, he can say what he wants but we're so overly confident that hey!, he won't know what hit him". The TSN panel was the same, they were all kinda smiling at the remark and gave that general "we'll see cowboy, won't we!" look.

Bringing the whole panel to Buffalo and talking non stop about the same things: Canada's heart and soul attitude, gritty canadians, this player coming from a small town in Manitoba where the winters are tough and that he comes from a good hard working family, that player coming from a small town in Ontario where the people are so great and that that's where he got his positive attitude and drive. They also have this hard as stone idea that somehow grit and passion is a only a trait that Canadians have.

To be honest, it's sickening. Over the years, I've watched this tournament less and less, I've almost completely boycotted TSN during the event. For them, the world juniors has more importance (so coverage) than the Stanley Cup, the Olympics, the World Championships and the Winter Classic put together.

They keep making videos about the same things. Have you seen the TSN video zone? It's incredible. From the video portraits of each player, talking about how great they are, how fantastic the little village deep down in a saskatchewan valley they live in is, how great the people are, and then you get Pierre who drools over each and every player.

When I woke up this morning and saw the front page on TSN, as you could expect, I had big fat smile on my face.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Funniest commnet goes to James Duthie who said (after Bob Mckenzie reminded that Finalnd also lead agaisnt Russia after two periods but lost): "Canada is not Finland." I still want a Youtube of that. Or an avatar with his picture and the text.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He is a color commentator for a Canadian network. In addition he is a huge junior hockey fan. So his disappointment was obvious.

You should hear the Swedish commentators when Sweden scores/are scored on. They are more biased and not a bit ashamed about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad