Notice Pierre McGuires bitterness?

russmatuss

Feb 10, 2008
Liverpool, England
I've not been to Canada, but from what I see on TV through streams and people on here, they're a patriotic bunch. Some of the TV ads I see are way over-the-top, and it seems like the best way to sell a product is to go with the most Canadian things possible. Such as that Moore's clothing commercial where the plot (if you can call it that) is that a guy is looking for a clothes shop and instead manages to walk into a hockey dressing room :)facepalm:), or the Molson Canadian one (i think) where the voice over guy claims that Canada has 'more square miles of awesomeness than any other country' or some crap.

Point being, Pierre being patriotic (perhaps overly so) is what I imagine the majority of Canadians wanted to hear after such a loss. When I saw the Russians skate right past the Canadians with the trophy I immediately thought it was a tad disrespectful, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Canadians were thinking exactly what Pierre said, as he said it. At the end of the day, he's catering to his audience.

MaximusT

Dec 5, 2008
Watched all the post-game footage and you can tell those TSN commentators (Duthie,Mackenzie, Pierre) were going to hit some sort of hard drug after they got done filming. Reminded me a lot of watching an edited version of my friend's

For some reason, they thought that by excessively mentioning Canada's past success at this tournament or Jordan Eberle and 09 would help alleviate the pain.
Eberle had to have been mentioned in double digits in the post game commentary.
What pissed me off is that almost NO credit was given to the Russians. It was all about how Canada "*****ed this up" or "did this bad" or "he ***** the bed," almost as if Canada put 5 into their own net.
Almost NO mention of Tarasenko's tying goal which was probably one of the best of the tournament,just receives a quick 5 second replay. Yet if that was Schenn scoring that goal, it would be stuffed down our throats for the next week.
and one more funny thing, I guess they have to adhere to a script and talk about a standout player from both teams throughout the tournament. So obviously they talk about Schenn for the Canadians( who had an AMAZING tournament,don't get me wrong), show video from throughout the tournament, all this irrelevent info,etc.
Now with like 10 seconds left, they chose to talk about Kuznetsov.No video, just say some snide comments rela quick like, "yea decided to show up to the finland game with 10 minutes left and he is now the Jordan Eberle of Russia".

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
Watched all the post-game footage and you can tell those TSN commentators (Duthie,Mackenzie, Pierre) were going to hit some sort of hard drug after they got done filming. Reminded me a lot of watching an edited version of my friend's

For some reason, they thought that by excessively mentioning Canada's past success at this tournament or Jordan Eberle and 09 would help alleviate the pain.
Eberle had to have been mentioned in double digits in the post game commentary.
What pissed me off is that almost NO credit was given to the Russians. It was all about how Canada "*****ed this up" or "did this bad" or "he ***** the bed," almost as if Canada put 5 into their own net.
Almost NO mention of Tarasenko's tying goal which was probably one of the best of the tournament,just receives a quick 5 second replay. Yet if that was Schenn scoring that goal, it would be stuffed down our throats for the next week.
and one more funny thing, I guess they have to adhere to a script and talk about a standout player from both teams throughout the tournament. So obviously they talk about Schenn for the Canadians( who had an AMAZING tournament,don't get me wrong), show video from throughout the tournament, all this irrelevent info,etc.
Now with like 10 seconds left, they chose to talk about Kuznetsov.No video, just say some snide comments rela quick like, "yea decided to show up to the finland game with 10 minutes left and he is now the Jordan Eberle of Russia".

Agreed!!!

I am curious what the sports pages of the world read.

Do they say "Russia amounts amazing comeback"
or
"Canada Folds in 3rd period" ??

I, being a canadian hockey fan, am heartbroke, but have nothing but respect for that russian team...yes...I could have throttled everyone of them watching them celebrate, but they earned it, I would of celebrated harder if my team won!

NewEnglandSportsFan*

We are and some times a little too passionate.

I do find it kind of ironic how some here love to hate on us for being cocky.

After witnessing the behaviour of some Americans at the Little League World Series, I think we're tame compared to them and those kids are 11 and 12:laugh:

errr no... you'd be that excited too if it were your little all star brother or son or nephew whatever. They have a reason to be all excited like that... your little analogy fails.

Anyhow, congrats to russia. And Pierre sucks. :laugh:

DeKeyser Soze

May 24, 2010
Well TSN caters to Canadians, so it's obvious they are going to focus on Canadian players.

I believe Sweden and US were the favorites, not Canada this year. So I'm still happy that Canada showed once again that they cannot be counted out.

The safest way to assess a favourite is to go by the odds offered by bookmakers, since they reflect peoples honest views (putting their money where their mouth is). According to these Canada and US were very evenly matched going in to the tournament, with only a slight edge to US. After the first couple of games Canada established themselves as favourites. Sweden or Russia weren't even close.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I've not been to Canada, but from what I see on TV through streams and people on here, they're a patriotic bunch. Some of the TV ads I see are way over-the-top, and it seems like the best way to sell a product is to go with the most Canadian things possible. Such as that Moore's clothing commercial where the plot (if you can call it that) is that a guy is looking for a clothes shop and instead manages to walk into a hockey dressing room :)facepalm:), or the Molson Canadian one (i think) where the voice over guy claims that Canada has 'more square miles of awesomeness than any other country' or some crap.

It may just be a complex we have because everybody just assumes we're like, and essentially are, Americans. Advertising tends to push it pretty far when trying to distinguish the differences we have.

OilerFanatic88

Jul 24, 2008
The safest way to assess a favourite is to go by the odds offered by bookmakers, since they reflect peoples honest views (putting their money where their mouth is). According to these Canada and US were very evenly matched going in to the tournament, with only a slight edge to US. After the first couple of games Canada established themselves as favourites. Sweden or Russia weren't even close.

Sure. I don't really know too be honest, just went off the "buzz" of the boards. All I know is Russia won, and congrats to them. Just don't be surprised that the Canadian media talks mainly about Canadian players. It's just funny, look at the Swedish media. Everytime Omark gets sent down in Edmonton **** hits the fan haha

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
TSN pays more than anyone else to broadcast this tournament, heck if it wasn't for Canadians and the money they generate for this tournament, much which goes to the IIHF and this year USA hockey it would be a nothing tournament.

So just stop *****ing about how bitter you think Pierre is.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
He is a color commentator for a Canadian network. In addition he is a huge junior hockey fan. So his disappointment was obvious.

You should hear the Swedish commentators when Sweden scores/are scored on. They are more biased and not a bit ashamed about it.

Exactly, this is not the world wide sport network.....

NewEnglandSportsFan*

He is a color commentator for a Canadian network. In addition he is a huge junior hockey fan. So his disappointment was obvious.

You should hear the Swedish commentators when Sweden scores/are scored on. They are more biased and not a bit ashamed about it.

The bolded makes me go, HUH?

He is a huge fan... but then when someone wins, he's sad?

NiagaraGirl

Hockey Canada fan :)
Its a lot like the attitude on this board actually. There were some pretty embarrassing comments by Canadians last night right here.

Some fans, including Canadian fans, don't know enough to not go overboard with comments when they are psyched up for a game. Don't worry, before the U.S./Canada game, some American fans were shooting their mouths off as well about how they were going to beat us. (I don't mean on here necessarily, I was reading alot of online sites, etc. where stuff was being posted.) Lots of fans do it but I've never thought it was very wise to discount any opposing team because you never know how the game is going to go till it's done. Nothing wrong with being proud of your own, just always wise to not totally discount anyone else. Hopefully some of the loudmouth types of various nationalities will have learned a lesson this year.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Those of us who have been around long enough remember what TSN was like in the old days.

Back with the black and gold logo and a mustached Jim Van Horne.

They had shows like "TSN Pub Nite" which was essentially darts.

Their first real hockey event was the World Juniors, and given that they had nothing else to focus on, they essentially built the coverage and the tournament into what it is today. They didn't have access to live NHL games.

On the plus side, you have 20,000 people packed into arena to watch a bunch of kids play hockey.

On the negative side, it gets a bit jingoistic and a little excessive in terms of the amount of information on all of the Canadian players.

TSN took a fairly unknown tournament and turned it into a holiday tradition, which is pretty impressive if you think about it.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Lol yeah that was hilarious.

Instead of being happy for the russians, Pierre, with his little sore loser sick puppy voice, says something like: "oh and they're passing right by the canadians".

I'm absolutely thrilled that Canada lost. Every single year, it's the same stuff. From the national media coverage, especially TSN, that treats these players like some kind of gods to the ever-lasting idea that somehow if Canada doesn't win, it's either "the biggest upset in wjc history", "they steal it from them", "Canada gets the gold medal ripped out of their hands"..

And by God, and I mean BY GOD people, if a coach from another team dares say that playing the czechs and russians was tougher than playing the canadians, HOLY MAMA GET THE MOUNTIES OUT....What??? How dare he??? You then get the reporters asking the canadian coach about the remarks and he has that stupid smirk all the long meaning like "well, he can say what he wants but we're so overly confident that hey!, he won't know what hit him". The TSN panel was the same, they were all kinda smiling at the remark and gave that general "we'll see cowboy, won't we!" look.

Bringing the whole panel to Buffalo and talking non stop about the same things: Canada's heart and soul attitude, gritty canadians, this player coming from a small town in Manitoba where the winters are tough and that he comes from a good hard working family, that player coming from a small town in Ontario where the people are so great and that that's where he got his positive attitude and drive. They also have this hard as stone idea that somehow grit and passion is a only a trait that Canadians have.

To be honest, it's sickening. Over the years, I've watched this tournament less and less, I've almost completely boycotted TSN during the event. For them, the world juniors has more importance (so coverage) than the Stanley Cup, the Olympics, the World Championships and the Winter Classic put together.

They keep making videos about the same things. Have you seen the TSN video zone? It's incredible. From the video portraits of each player, talking about how great they are, how fantastic the little village deep down in a saskatchewan valley they live in is, how great the people are, and then you get Pierre who drools over each and every player.

When I woke up this morning and saw the front page on TSN, as you could expect, I had big fat smile on my face.
What an angry, bitter little person you are.

I feel fortunate to have the perspective on life and hockey that you lack.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Duthie I found to be "the cocky" one/with no class. Always saying Canada has this many fans tonigtht and repeating it over and over. WE GET IT! STOP REPEATING YOURSELF!

The comment that really stood out for me from Duthie during 2nd intermission was " Russia did come back on Finland when down by two goals,but Canada is not Finland".

No Duthie,just worse after that epic collapse. For my fellow Canadians to harp on other countries cockiness and not on our own...is wrong too.

kajoo

Jan 17, 2003
Slovakia
Visit site

Instead of being happy for the russians, Pierre, with his little sore loser sick puppy voice, says something like: "oh and they're passing right by the canadians".

I'm absolutely thrilled that Canada lost. Every single year, it's the same stuff. From the national media coverage, especially TSN, that treats these players like some kind of gods to the ever-lasting idea that somehow if Canada doesn't win, it's either "the biggest upset in wjc history", "they steal it from them", "Canada gets the gold medal ripped out of their hands"..

And by God, and I mean BY GOD people, if a coach from another team dares say that playing the czechs and russians was tougher than playing the canadians, HOLY MAMA GET THE MOUNTIES OUT....What??? How dare he??? You then get the reporters asking the canadian coach about the remarks and he has that stupid smirk all the long meaning like "well, he can say what he wants but we're so overly confident that hey!, he won't know what hit him". The TSN panel was the same, they were all kinda smiling at the remark and gave that general "we'll see cowboy, won't we!" look.

Bringing the whole panel to Buffalo and talking non stop about the same things: Canada's heart and soul attitude, gritty canadians, this player coming from a small town in Manitoba where the winters are tough and that he comes from a good hard working family, that player coming from a small town in Ontario where the people are so great and that that's where he got his positive attitude and drive. They also have this hard as stone idea that somehow grit and passion is a only a trait that Canadians have.

To be honest, it's sickening. Over the years, I've watched this tournament less and less, I've almost completely boycotted TSN during the event. For them, the world juniors has more importance (so coverage) than the Stanley Cup, the Olympics, the World Championships and the Winter Classic put together.

They keep making videos about the same things. Have you seen the TSN video zone? It's incredible. From the video portraits of each player, talking about how great they are, how fantastic the little village deep down in a saskatchewan valley they live in is, how great the people are, and then you get Pierre who drools over each and every player.

When I woke up this morning and saw the front page on TSN, as you could expect, I had big fat smile on my face.

wish the same could be said about Slovak kids.

Last 20 years, hockey turned into very expensive thing in Slovakia, true sport of middle class kids. Forget on stick and skates. Parents turned into main youth sponsors, covering all the expenses for equipment, composite sticks, training camps, away trips, extra costs for ice etc. It´s not like everyone here can afford to spend 2000-3000 eur/year for his kid´s hobby. If you want to play hockey on frozen lake with friends, hockey is cool hobby, but trying to bring it to another level bringing big expenses and many kids rather stick to soccer.

Most of Slovak kids playing hockey are sons of succesfull dads. They alone see that chance of becoming succesfull is higher in real life than in hockey, unlike some hillbilly who sees the hockey as his only chance to escape off his native valley.

I think that´s the main reason why Slovak hockey sucks, we are missing these types hungry for success who would give up their kidney for chance to play international hockey.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary

Most pathetic thing I have ever read.

It must be so cold in the shadows. :laugh:

endora2

Jan 3, 2010
His overconfidence in Team Canada, his little remarks when Russia was celebrating and his general tone. Atleast Gord Miller was trying to sound excited when Russia scored their goals, Pierre was all quiet and montone when Russia was doing well. Pierre never really gave Russia any credit at all or maybe I missed his one comment on it. Why is he so biased for us Canadians when he himself is an American?

I really can't stand the guy, I don't think he should be doing these WJC games anymore.

I couldn't agree more. I've never heard Pierre so quite. If this was the Canadians that completed a 5-goal barrage in the third period, to win the Gold......he would be spewing out 10 words per second....on how great and skilled these "Canadian players" are. But on that amazing, blind behind the back pass the Russian made...on their 4th goal....Pierre said nothing. An unbelievable display of skill on the goal....and total silence from him. You could only imagine the verbal gushing that would have ensued had that been a Canadian goal.:help:

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
The Swedish commentators are way worse, but Swedes don't care about that and it's the way it has always been in any sport. Compared to our color guy, Pierre is a fart in a hurricane..

:laugh:
I don't think that Wikegård is that bad. He whines on the refs alot but he could still recognize that we in no way deserved to win the games we lost.

Plus, he is hilarious.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
I love how posters from both Canada and the US are trying their damndest to convince others that Pierre isn't from their country.

Last edited:

Chraa

May 9, 2009
Stockholm
The Swedish commentators are way worse, but Swedes don't care about that and it's the way it has always been in any sport. Compared to our color guy, Pierre is a fart in a hurricane..

That Wikegård is Pejorative Slured should come as no surprise.
This Härenstam/Wikegård combo really gets on my nerves, Härenstam clearly doesn't know hockey and Wikegård is a Swedish Pierre McGuire.

Then again I do hate all homer announcers, seriously be professional and let the viewer make up his own mind about whats going on without clouding it with your own biased opinions.

Second Breakfast

Jul 4, 2010
Sherwood Park, AB
We are and some times a little too passionate.

I do find it kind of ironic how some here love to hate on us for being cocky.

After witnessing the behaviour of some Americans at the Little League World Series, I think we're tame compared to them and those kids are 11 and 12:laugh:

QFT

I do have to say though, I give tons of credit to the Russians. That took heart, character, and a host of other traits to pull that off.

With a 3-0 lead in the 3rd I thought it was in the bag, I'm sure a lot of other people thought that too, but it teaches you to never look ahead. We are almost taught in Canadian hockey (I played 7yrs rep minor hockey in Abbotsford for anyone who knows BC) that Russia (and other Euro nations) will fold their tent if you get up on them or crash and bang them. I played against a couple teams from Russia actually. I've never seen this kind of resiliency out of any non North American team before (not saying it hasn't happened, I've not seen it myself). Basically what I'm trying to say is that I have just gained a ton of respect for Russia.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Thing I hate about McGuire is his mancrushes. For example, Ellis with a simple chip play to get it out of the zone and it's the greatest play in the history of hockey. Another player, who Pierre does not have a mancrush on, makes an amazing play...nothing.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
The comment that really stood out for me from Duthie during 2nd intermission was " Russia did come back on Finland when down by two goals,but Canada is not Finland".

No Duthie,just worse after that epic collapse. For my fellow Canadians to harp on other countries cockiness and not on our own...is wrong too.

I am a big fan of James Duthie, actually, but that "Canada is not Finland" line was a hilarious miscalculation, and definitely has led to his eating crow. Remember boys and girls, watch what you say on TV!

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
I loved listening to Pierre's depressed voice. I really hope the guy had a hard time sleeping last night. He's a piece of ****. I've never seen a bigger homer then this clown. It's either he's complaining about the missed calls on Canada or talking about Kassians big chest.

Mcguire, Gord Millar, Bob Mckenzie - there all the same. Look at ther faces during the post game they looked so sad HAHAHAHAHA! Suffer!

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary

Point being, Pierre being patriotic (perhaps overly so) is what I imagine the majority of Canadians wanted to hear after such a loss. When I saw the Russians skate right past the Canadians with the trophy I immediately thought it was a tad disrespectful, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Canadians were thinking exactly what Pierre said, as he said it. At the end of the day, he's catering to his audience.

It's called "humor" and being British (or atleast living there) one might assume you had a sense of humor.

I see you have done your research on Canadians by watching tv. I guess watching a game of football fan fights gives me a pretty good impression of your countrymen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->