Notice Pierre McGuires bitterness?

Meatwad

Feb 17, 2004
Vancouver
Funniest commnet goes to James Duthie who said (after Bob Mckenzie reminded that Finalnd also lead agaisnt Russia after two periods but lost): "Canada is not Finland." I still want a Youtube of that. Or an avatar with his picture and the text.

Canada leading 3-0 going into the third.

James Duthie: "Canada is not Finland"

Canada gets scored on 5 times in a row.

James Duthie: "Canada is Finland"

Sexington

Feb 6, 2007
Calgary, AB
He is a color commentator for a Canadian network. In addition he is a huge junior hockey fan. So his disappointment was obvious.

You should hear the Swedish commentators when Sweden scores/are scored on. They are more biased and not a bit ashamed about it.

That's the other problem here, if you're not a Canadian fan or don't like Canadian biased commentary then don't watch TSN. Same thing happens when Toronto games are playing. :D ;)

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I'm absolutely thrilled that Canada lost. Every single year, it's the same stuff. From the national media coverage, especially TSN, that treats these players like some kind of gods to the ever-lasting idea that somehow if Canada doesn't win, it's either "the biggest upset in wjc history", "they steal it from them", "Canada gets the gold medal ripped out of their hands".

TSN had Canada as heavy underdogs the entire tournament.....

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
I'm not a big fan of any homers, but I can still accept that they're going to exist. The fact is that TSN is catering to a Canadian audience, they are a Canadian network, and pretty much everyone working there is a Canadian. Shouldn't be a surprise that there would be some bias.

Congrats to Russia. Well deserved win, good comeback. Good effort by the Canadians in the game too.

tim_*

I really got a kick out of his bitterness last night. You get the feeling that he didn't think Russia should have even been in the game since they weren't giving full 60 minute efforts prior to it. That, and the no-icing call in the Sweden game that he still wouldn't drop an hour later.

Basically, he mad.

Fulcrum

Here's a direct quote when Russia was celebrating:

Pierre: "There will be some guys remembering that next year" [to Russians skating by the Canadians and going to the corner where the Russian fans are with the trophy]

Gord: "Well- only one of these Russians can comeback"

Pierre with a defeated voice: "It doesn't matter- the Canadians can bring a ton of guys back! - 7"

I don't even have to comment what that sounds like... and the tone

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
TSN had Canada as heavy underdogs the entire tournament.....

Heavy underdogs? Who was the favorite, Sweden?

I doubt Canada would have been ranked lower than third.

I don't mind that Pierre loves Canada, but I find the kind of comments made by him(and sometimes other people on TSN) can get offensive.

Russia in 2005 got ripped for showboating, taunting, classlessness etc.,Most of the complaints came from the game where Russia beat USA in the semis. The Americans had priorly been doing some talking of their own, which in large part elicted this response.

A few years later when similar things happened when Tavares and the Canadian boys were being a little roudy, the criticisism was much more muted.It just gets to the point of obnoxiousness when Canadian kids are portrayed as saints, professionals. good ambassadors and "all heart" whereas any opposition can and will be portrayed much more negatively. All the while keep in mind we're talking teenaged boys here.....

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Heavy underdogs? Who was the favorite, Sweden?

I doubt Canada would have been ranked lower than third.

Well, not heavy underdogs in the sense that they would finish 5th or something, but they weren't expected to get past the Americans who TSN told us for a month were the favourites to win the tournament.

JustinW

Dec 14, 2006
His name is actually Regis and he was born in New Jersey.

Here's hoping he moves back to the States and can join Jack Edwards on the Bruins telecasts. They'd make a great pair, LOL!

LOL wow I would have never guessed. I really thought he was Canadian.

SkullSplitter

Jul 12, 2007
Pittsburgh
Pierre is irritating. Edzo and Milbury are too. I think a lot of them have chips off their shoulders because they couldn't cut it as NHL coaches.

There's far too much color commentary in hockey today. Just call the game. Hold the color for in between periods and after the whistle.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Well, not heavy underdogs in the sense that they would finish 5th or something, but they weren't expected to get past the Americans who TSN told us for a month were the favourites to win the tournament.

I'd heard this as well, and the cynical American in me couldn't help but think this was part them building it up to make it a better story if the Canadians did get past the US. Was the thought that Canada was a legit underdog (meaning more than just "not favorites") prevalent in Canada, outside TSN (or the media in general)? Honest question.

Sandwiches1123

Dec 8, 2009
His overconfidence in Team Canada, his little remarks when Russia was celebrating and his general tone. Atleast Gord Miller was trying to sound excited when Russia scored their goals, Pierre was all quiet and montone when Russia was doing well. Pierre never really gave Russia any credit at all or maybe I missed his one comment on it. Why is he so biased for us Canadians when he himself is an American?

I really can't stand the guy, I don't think he should be doing these WJC games anymore.

I don't think he should be an announcer anymore. However, he exemplifies that which is accepted by Canadians as it relates to hockey. So many people in this country say this game "belongs" to us and that we are obviously better. When other teams win there is sour grapes. We have an external locus of control when it comes to hockey. Losing is never our fault and winning is always because hockey is what we do best.

I read a few tweets after the game talking about referees not calling a good game or that Russia built their team only to win this year. If that were the case, why did Russia lose their first two games?

Pierre Mcguire is a homer for Canada, which is odd because he's American (born Englewood, NJ).

Last night the Russians proved that skill, speed, and passion for the game can beat the grinding Canadian game. They played very well in the 3rd period to overcome that 3 goal deficit. I thought Kuznetsov's play on Russia's 3rd goal was absolutely amazing. Watch it again.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
His overconfidence in Team Canada, his little remarks when Russia was celebrating and his general tone. Atleast Gord Miller was trying to sound excited when Russia scored their goals, Pierre was all quiet and montone when Russia was doing well. Pierre never really gave Russia any credit at all or maybe I missed his one comment on it. Why is he so biased for us Canadians when he himself is an American?

I really can't stand the guy, I don't think he should be doing these WJC games anymore.

That just isn't true. Pierre gave credit to Russia on multiple occasions including after all their goals and after the game. Yeah he sounded bitter and just plain weird at times but that's the Pierre we all hate and love(?)

Overall I don't get the critique on TSN saying they are homers. They do a really good job and their knowledge about international hockey and other countries is very impressive. Yeah they talk a lot about Canada but hey it's a Canadian broadcast so they should.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
TSN is a Canadian station catering to a Canadian audience. Obviously a lot international fans jump on to enjoy the broadcast (how else would you see the games!), so it shouldn't be a surprise there is a Canadian bent to it. Same goes for us Sens fans watching a Hockey night in Canada game between the Sens-Leafs. You accept it for what it is.

That said, McGuire is pretty bad and I don't enjoy his analysis, even as a Canadian fan. Even worse for NHL games. On radio, he can be ok (not as over the top), but still very defensive.

But I don't think he represents Canadian analysts. Guys like McKenzie and Dreger are very well balanced and fair in their perspective IMO, and even Duthie and Miller are quite giving fair and balanced praise, even though they are not analysts per se.

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
He is a color commentator for a Canadian network. In addition he is a huge junior hockey fan. So his disappointment was obvious.

You should hear the Swedish commentators when Sweden scores/are scored on. They are more biased and not a bit ashamed about it.

Bingo.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
lol when he said that its like he snarled back at gord. I laughed, because he was so serious about it.

I noticed this a few times over the course of the tournament(Miller politely disagreeing with Maguire and then Maguire getting all defensive and snappy). I find Maguire knowledgeable and insightful, but he is certainly an emotional and occasionally irritating personality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad