Notice Pierre McGuires bitterness?

BLBarmada

I don't care what people say we were the favorites coming in, yeah the US had 8 returnees but everyone knew that we had the home crowd advantage, 15 1st round picks, like 7 of them were top 10, the only thing this team lacked was goaltending, that was always the question mark and it was always played down,This team could score, it had the guys too do that and it had the D, it was goalies that we didn't have and we collapsed in the 3rd, Russia were written off this whole tournament, and yet they came back in multiple games to win, so kudos to them. For them its the greatest comeback in WJC history, for us its the greatest meltdown.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
The Swedish commentators are way worse, but Swedes don't care about that and it's the way it has always been in any sport. Compared to our color guy, Pierre is a fart in a hurricane..

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
1)Russia deserved to win McGuire (who is American) should move on & get on wth life.

2) most of us are hockey fans & we know most of the stats & info on said player.we don't have to be reminded every time a player scores or a great play happens,the following about the player:

-his jr team
-his jr coach
-his jr linemates
-the rest of his jr team mates
-who drafted him
-who is agent is
-when he got drafted
-where he got drafted
-how good that NHL team will be when he gets there
-blak,blah,blah,blah,blah...............:rant:

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
I don't care what people say we were the favorites coming in, yeah the US had 8 returnees but everyone knew that we had the home crowd advantage, 15 1st round picks, like 7 of them were top 10, the only thing this team lacked was goaltending, that was always the question mark and it was always played down,This team could score, it had the guys too do that and it had the D, it was goalies that we didn't have and we collapsed in the 3rd, Russia were written off this whole tournament, and yet they came back in multiple games to win, so kudos to them. For them its the greatest comeback in WJC history, for us its the greatest meltdown.

I think there were four really good teams that were all capable of winning it and beating eachother. Russia won it deservedly so, but I don't think anyone would have bat an eyelid if the top 4 standings ended up being reversed.

Latex*

The Swedish commentators are way worse, but Swedes don't care about that and it's the way it has always been in any sport. Compared to our color guy, Pierre is a fart in a hurricane..

Nice... i wonder what does he sound when he speaks Finnish.

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
Wow, you should hear Czech commentators. They are total homers, always openly rooting for the Czech team. Not that I think there's anything wrong with that. Must be a cultural thing.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Are some people actually complaining about McGuire calling this the biggest collapse in the tournament's history?

It was, and not because it was Canada, but because someone allowed 5 goals in the third of the gold medal game. It was of monumental proportions no matter who allowed it. The fact that it was Canada made it harder to swallow but whatever, it happens.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
I'd heard this as well, and the cynical American in me couldn't help but think this was part them building it up to make it a better story if the Canadians did get past the US. Was the thought that Canada was a legit underdog (meaning more than just "not favorites") prevalent in Canada, outside TSN (or the media in general)? Honest question.

yes and no. Most Canadians realize that it's an older players tournament and having few returnees and a lot of the big name guys playing in the NHL was going to hurt them... but we've also seen the same type of situation before where They actually come together and win so there was always the belief that the depth could win the day. Hearts said Canada even though the brains were likely saying something else.

AvalancheRy

Feb 13, 2009
1)Russia deserved to win McGuire (who is American) should move on & get on wth life.

2) most of us are hockey fans & we know most of the stats & info on said player.we don't have to be reminded every time a player scores or a great play happens,the following about the player:

-his jr team
-his jr coach
-his jr linemates
-the rest of his jr team mates
-who drafted him
-who is agent is
-when he got drafted
-where he got drafted
-how good that NHL team will be when he gets there
-blak,blah,blah,blah,blah...............:rant:

McGuire is American like Tyler Myers is American.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Just a clown who yaks and yaks and when the team he is cheering isn't winning(or he isn't busy jockriding someone) he is all quiet. Terribel annoucner and I don't really consdier him a mastermind of hockey the way some do.

I could care less about his nationality a turkey is a turkey no matter where you shoot it.

binary0x01

Jul 3, 2008
Idaho
code.computronium.io
Lol yeah that was hilarious.

Instead of being happy for the russians, Pierre, with his little sore loser sick puppy voice, says something like: "oh and they're passing right by the canadians".

I'm absolutely thrilled that Canada lost. Every single year, it's the same stuff. From the national media coverage, especially TSN, that treats these players like some kind of gods to the ever-lasting idea that somehow if Canada doesn't win, it's either "the biggest upset in wjc history", "they steal it from them", "Canada gets the gold medal ripped out of their hands"..

And by God, and I mean BY GOD people, if a coach from another team dares say that playing the czechs and russians was tougher than playing the canadians, HOLY MAMA GET THE MOUNTIES OUT....What??? How dare he??? You then get the reporters asking the canadian coach about the remarks and he has that stupid smirk all the long meaning like "well, he can say what he wants but we're so overly confident that hey!, he won't know what hit him". The TSN panel was the same, they were all kinda smiling at the remark and gave that general "we'll see cowboy, won't we!" look.

Bringing the whole panel to Buffalo and talking non stop about the same things: Canada's heart and soul attitude, gritty canadians, this player coming from a small town in Manitoba where the winters are tough and that he comes from a good hard working family, that player coming from a small town in Ontario where the people are so great and that that's where he got his positive attitude and drive. They also have this hard as stone idea that somehow grit and passion is a only a trait that Canadians have.

To be honest, it's sickening. Over the years, I've watched this tournament less and less, I've almost completely boycotted TSN during the event. For them, the world juniors has more importance (so coverage) than the Stanley Cup, the Olympics, the World Championships and the Winter Classic put together.

They keep making videos about the same things. Have you seen the TSN video zone? It's incredible. From the video portraits of each player, talking about how great they are, how fantastic the little village deep down in a saskatchewan valley they live in is, how great the people are, and then you get Pierre who drools over each and every player.

When I woke up this morning and saw the front page on TSN, as you could expect, I had big fat smile on my face.

^ This...

Kekumba

Jan 24, 2008
Ottawa

Instead of being happy for the russians, Pierre, with his little sore loser sick puppy voice, says something like: "oh and they're passing right by the canadians".

I'm absolutely thrilled that Canada lost. Every single year, it's the same stuff. From the national media coverage, especially TSN, that treats these players like some kind of gods to the ever-lasting idea that somehow if Canada doesn't win, it's either "the biggest upset in wjc history", "they steal it from them", "Canada gets the gold medal ripped out of their hands"..

And by God, and I mean BY GOD people, if a coach from another team dares say that playing the czechs and russians was tougher than playing the canadians, HOLY MAMA GET THE MOUNTIES OUT....What??? How dare he??? You then get the reporters asking the canadian coach about the remarks and he has that stupid smirk all the long meaning like "well, he can say what he wants but we're so overly confident that hey!, he won't know what hit him". The TSN panel was the same, they were all kinda smiling at the remark and gave that general "we'll see cowboy, won't we!" look.

Bringing the whole panel to Buffalo and talking non stop about the same things: Canada's heart and soul attitude, gritty canadians, this player coming from a small town in Manitoba where the winters are tough and that he comes from a good hard working family, that player coming from a small town in Ontario where the people are so great and that that's where he got his positive attitude and drive. They also have this hard as stone idea that somehow grit and passion is a only a trait that Canadians have.

To be honest, it's sickening. Over the years, I've watched this tournament less and less, I've almost completely boycotted TSN during the event. For them, the world juniors has more importance (so coverage) than the Stanley Cup, the Olympics, the World Championships and the Winter Classic put together.

They keep making videos about the same things. Have you seen the TSN video zone? It's incredible. From the video portraits of each player, talking about how great they are, how fantastic the little village deep down in a saskatchewan valley they live in is, how great the people are, and then you get Pierre who drools over each and every player.

When I woke up this morning and saw the front page on TSN, as you could expect, I had big fat smile on my face.

:facepalm:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

heh! preach it brother!

this is one canadian who couldn't agree more.

I was cheering for Russia the whole way.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
We are and some times a little too passionate.

I do find it kind of ironic how some here love to hate on us for being cocky.

After witnessing the behaviour of some Americans at the Little League World Series, I think we're tame compared to them and those kids are 11 and 12:laugh:

Who cares how Canadian adults were acting, did you see those 11 year olds lmaoa???A?A?

How about we own up to our own actions and stop worrying about the actions of american kids?

We act entitled and spoiled. A little humility would be nice. Also: Nike BOOM. Those commercials were great, why couldn't we match them with EH-OH, CANADA GO.

saveourpens

Jul 3, 2006
Pittsburgh
I don't know how baldy still has a job. In that Finland - Russia game he was literally arguing throughout the game with the broadcast side over the icing call.

javier

Jun 3, 2008
Funniest commnet goes to James Duthie who said (after Bob Mckenzie reminded that Finalnd also lead agaisnt Russia after two periods but lost): "Canada is not Finland." I still want a Youtube of that. Or an avatar with his picture and the text.

I gotta tell you its embarrassing how biased some of these media people behave, seriously these are a bunch of teenage kids playing in a tournament for Gods sake. Pierre sounded like he was going to jump over the boards to hip check one of the Russians, what a crybaby. Team Canada has nothing to be ashamed of. Credit to Russia for their comeback, and to the pro-Canadians cry babies, have some cheese with your whine, lol.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

DungeonK

Love Thy Neighbor
Jul 6, 2006
Atlanta
Funniest comment all night.

Pierre: The Canadians are gonna remember that next year skating by them celebrating with the trophy.

Gord: The Russians are only bringing back one player Pierre.

Pierre: Well the Canadians are bringing back seven!

I don't know what's weirder about Pierre... his fake Canadian accent, changing his name to PIERRE of all things, his goofy face or his random facts. Maybe he turned Canadian to try and offset the whole Brett Hull thing.

Kid_Roll

Oct 14, 2005
Vancouver
www.tsn.ca
So let me get this straight....

TSN.....a canadian channel....is getting trashed.....for being too Canadian?

This tournament is a Canadian tradition. A lot of people in Canada LOVE watching this tourney. So obviously you will have the entire TSN crew covering the tournament and making this a major event. Christ, we have had almost an entire day of programming committed to the trade deadline in Canada, so obviously hockey is a little bit popular here, so the media of course runs with it. When you are on the air that long and for that many days, invariably you will end up spouting out sport cliches. Geezus. It's not like every other single sports show doesn't do this about every single thing ever invented. Any panel you see in sports will invariably mention skill, determination, heart, grit, effort level, and the reffing at least once during their broadcast.

I get people enjoying Canada losing, fine. I get people happy to see a huge collapse by Canada. But people complaining about the fact that some commentator sounded bummed about a team losing? Good lord. It's sports. I don't care if an announcer sounds biased. Roger Millions is a biased moron IMO, but I don't claim he should be taken off the air, good for Calgary for having some dude being a blind homer. Blind homers are amusing whether you hate them or not. Either you get to agree with them, or you get to laugh in their faces when their team fails.

So to everyone who hates Pierre, honestly, this is your moment to shine. This is your moment to laugh. This is your moment to hold over him. And while you're doing so, realize that if you are getting any enjoyment out of doing that, then Pierre already made the tournament better for you, because you got to feel good about seeing him be bummed out.

OilerFanatic88

Jul 24, 2008

Well TSN caters to Canadians, so it's obvious they are going to focus on Canadian players.

I believe Sweden and US were the favorites, not Canada this year. So I'm still happy that Canada showed once again that they cannot be counted out.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
I'd heard this as well, and the cynical American in me couldn't help but think this was part them building it up to make it a better story if the Canadians did get past the US. Was the thought that Canada was a legit underdog (meaning more than just "not favorites") prevalent in Canada, outside TSN (or the media in general)? Honest question.

You're right. Canada is never an underdog in an international hockey tournament. We're expected to win, TSN was just trying to push that agenda.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad