Post-Game Talk: Not even zebra charity can help that bunch, Pens-6, Islanders -more than they earned

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
What the hell happened to Andrew MacDonald?

Isles fans used to always say what a great bargain he was and how he was underrated, and I agreed with them. He just looks like he completely forgot how to play hockey. It's bizarre.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I can't think of any reason why Kobasew should remain on Sid's RW.
Is it because they believe Kobasew is better defensively than a Megna or a Pyatt? Cuz he'd be wrong there too.

Then theres the TSN guys yesterday saying that maybe all these guys aren't used to playing Sid-like minutes. Yea, no, i'm not buying that. These are professional athletes.

So maybe they are just giving Koby his last shot to prove he belongs.

He doesn't belong, it's been proven time and time again. Just like D'Agostini didn't belong. The call ups have done more to show they belong, Pyatt has done more in 9 games, Engelland at forward has done more. Kobasew has done nothing since the first few games of the season, he brings nothing and he's lazy. If they're waiting for something and putting Crosby through this to give ****ing Kobasew a chance to prove he's not worse than useless or can't see it, then that's a serious problem. It's just Bylsma's stupidity until Shero gets off his ass and does something about it, which is also a serious problem.

:help:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
He doesn't belong, it's been proven time and time again. Just like D'Agostini didn't belong. The call ups have done more to show they belong, Pyatt has done more in 9 games, Engelland at forward has done more. Kobasew has done nothing since the first few games of the season, he brings nothing and he's lazy. If they're waiting for something and putting Crosby through this to give ****ing Kobasew a chance to prove he's not worse than useless or can't see it, then that's a serious problem. It's just Bylsma's stupidity until Shero gets off his ass and does something about it, which is also a serious problem.

:help:

All good points.
We got problems.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sid had a great game. Destroyed on face offs too. Great to see him bounce back in a big way.

Not only was he dangerous all game offensively and money on draws, he shut Tavares down. The Tavares line did nothing whenever Crosby was out there against them. Only time they looked dangerous is when Capuano got him away from Crosby.

Also, a huge, massive PLUS for not having to play the Islanders again this year. I'm so tired of seeing a fanbase complain non stop about EVERY SINGLE CALL against them. Jesus, the Pens got 2 powerplays in the game. TWO. You'd think the referees were handing the Pens PPs like they were candy on Halloween night. It happens every single friggin' time we play them.

Overall, I thought the Pens looked scrambly in their own zone too much. Orpik was weird. He broke up two potential goals, but then ruined those good plays by looking like his usual out of position self and bad clearing attempts.

I thought Zatkoff was meh. He did come up with that game-saver on the 5 on 3 PK, though.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Depending on the price, I'd LOVE to have Orpik. I haven't gotten much of a chance to watch him this season; has he really fallen off as bad as some on here are saying?

We have between 1, possibly 2 better left D in Wilkes-barre is the primary problem.

The other problem is his dog **** attitude. Lazy. Everything's someone else's fault. Runs his mouth and doesn't back it up...I've personally just reached the end of my rope with the guy.

Smacker

#LetsGoPens
Aug 15, 2012
+ Sid/Kuni. Sid had a great game.
+ Geno's line
+ Määttä
+ Niskanen
+ Letang
+ PP/PK

Fun game to watch, and good win!

Smacker

#LetsGoPens
Aug 15, 2012
Ref charity? Please.

Great game guys, Crosby is absolutely outstanding and Kunitz doesn't get enough respect on this site.

Very fun game, some excellent defensive play by Orpik and Malkin (of all people) saved some tap in goals.

Agree. Also these people doesn't appreciate Orpik even though he has played his whole career in Pittsburgh. Great guy.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Soooo... anyone like to tell me how this game differed greatly from last years playoff matchup? Im not encouraged when the score is 6-4 but several other key saves or breakups kept it from 8-7 either way... I still don't think we have a complete Stanley cup Contender here in Pittsburgh yet... when I consistently see results that differ from the past few years I will change my tune. I mean protecting the lead down the stretch was just brutal with the quality of chances they gave up...

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Agree. Also these people doesn't appreciate Orpik even though he has played his whole career in Pittsburgh. Great guy.

I agree, but at some point, enough's enough. Loyalty helps, but it only goes so far, particularly in professional sports.

Appreciate, sure, especially when he's gone. But IMO, and in a bunch of our eyes, he's doing more harm than good right now and taking up room that could be better served with someone else.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Soooo... anyone like to tell me how this game differed greatly from last years playoff matchup? Im not encouraged when the score is 6-4 but several other key saves or breakups kept it from 8-7 either way... I still don't think we have a complete Stanley cup Contender here in Pittsburgh yet... when I consistently see results that differ from the past few years I will change my tune. I mean protecting the lead down the stretch was just brutal with the quality of chances they gave up...

Yeah, the overall scrambly play in the Pens' zone was a little too similar to the Islanders series in the playoffs for my liking. The Islanders kept coming, so kudos to them for that, but the Pens weren't doing themselves any favors with the sloppy puck control and lazy coverage.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Maybe we should go with Byl(sma)ogic themed avatars for the playoffs?

1st pane - Pens 2014 playoffs
2nd pane - (your preferred Bylogic gem) ex. "Fastest team in the league"
3rd pane - smug Bylsma pic - Bylogic "put in Gladams"

Something like that.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania

Jeff Zatkoff?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Maybe we should go with Byl(sma)ogic themed avatars for the playoffs?

1st pane - Pens 2014 playoffs
2nd pane - (your preferred Bylogic gem) ex. "Fastest team in the league"
3rd pane - smug Bylsma pic - Bylogic "put in Gladams"

Something like that.

I do not want to see that many Smug Bylsma pictures

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Do you even know how he got his injuries on college?

He caught a rut in the ice and tweaked his knee, and the next season injured his wrist in practice and tried to play a few games before deciding that surgery was the best option--ending his season. Not getting your point. It's not like he screwed up his back eating pancakes.

I'm not sure why people get so offended when a guy is called injury prone. He gets injured more often than the usual player. Who cares? It is what it is.

He has a valid history of injuries. To me, that's injury prone. He's not as bad as Gaborik used to be, but it's pretty apparent. No need to get in an uproar. :laugh:

SteelFish87*

It's not going to happen, but I'd still like to see (and forgive me if I don't get the wings right, just trying to get the lines close)

Kunitz-Sid-TRADE
Neal-Geno-Bennett
Jokinen-Sutter-Megna
Sill-Vitale-Engelland

Any combination of 6 D that includes Despres, but DOESN'T include Orpik.

Why would you move Neal to LW? :help:

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA

I actually thought the Pens carried the play most of the night, something that didn't happen in the 3 games on Long Island in the playoffs...but a few defensive breakdowns and some shoddy goaltending made it closer than it should have been.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
+++Sid-Kunitz

+/- Megna's non-existent backcheck (except that one time)

Kobasew is not the answer on the top line, but I don't think Megna has played particularly well even if talent-wise he should be an improvement.

I think what you meant to say was Megna's non-existent icetime (except that one time). He has played very well with the limited ice time given. In the past 2 games, he has set up Adams and Crosby for great opportunities. He got a near breakaway from skating his ass off and making a nifty move on a 1 on 2. Kobasew has existed.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
What the hell happened to Andrew MacDonald?

Isles fans used to always say what a great bargain he was and how he was underrated, and I agreed with them. He just looks like he completely forgot how to play hockey. It's bizarre.

On the trade board they were looking for a 1st + for him. Yikes!!

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Well he said that Bennett was going to be a top six winger... and he did replace Dupuis earlier in the year. Normally I wouldn't believe him, but we really don't have any other option.

In the world of Bylsma Logic, I believe he's not putting Megna with Sid now because he doesn't want Sid to get comfortable with him since it's not in his plans to have Megna on the roster when everyone is healthy.

The fact that you believe anything you are typing here makes me sad for you.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
The fact that you believe anything you are typing here makes me sad for you.

Which part? The fact that Bennett is our only option for Sid's line or my attempt to try to understand Bylsma? If it's the latter, I don't actually think that way, it's just my attempt to get inside of Dan's mind.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
- Martin, but hes still in injury grace period with me.
- Orpik, yuck, all i can say is yuck. Gonna have to bring out playoff Orpik soon to even still warrant a spot on the roster by then.
- Zatkoff, like the kid but we need a better backup come playoff time.
- Pyatt, misplayed positioning on the first goal, never seen someone so inadequate at getting by a "interfering" defenseman to get to the forcheck. A little bump stopped him dead in his tracks at least 3 times tonight.

+ Megna looking like hes getting back to his game, kid is gonna be a hell of a third liner for a long time IMO. No reason not to give him a chance on the 1st line over UpChuck.
+ The usual suspects, Crosby, Malkin, Koon, Niskanen, Maata

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Which part? The fact that Bennett is our only option for Sid's line or my attempt to try to understand Bylsma? If it's the latter, I don't actually think that way, it's just my attempt to get inside of Dan's mind.

The part where you believe Bylsma will play Bennett full time with Sid because he said Bennett is a top 6 winger. I recall Despres being a top 4 defenseman.

Basically, I don't believe a word Bylsma says until he proves otherwise.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
A big minus to Pierre. He raved about Craig Adams all night and it was really annoying. "Oh no, this is really bad news for Pittsburgh, Craig Adams goes down"..."Craig Adams is a warrior. So underrated, what a player".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad