Post-Game Talk: Not even zebra charity can help that bunch, Pens-6, Islanders -more than they earned

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Being a rookie is a type of injury?

Well . . . . broadly construing "injury" and applying it to the pain non-veteran Pens suffer trying to get into the lineup while watching certain ineffective veterans play . . .

I mean, since this has become the "what does 'injured' mean" thread.

Michael8771*

Most people anywhere dont use it that way at all. A guy like Crosby isnt generally considered injury prone because while he did miss a lot of time due to injuries they were freak unlucky type of injuries. A guy like Gaborik or Havlat who get injuries consistantly are usually considered injury prone. You are using a term people generally use as a measure of likeliness to get injured and braodly applying it to anyone who gets injured from time to time.
Time to time? Like how often do you mean? How about this, I'll bet anyone here BB doesn't play in at least 70 regular season games next season due to the idea that I believe he's ''injury prone'', anyone wanna take that bet?

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I just watched Zatkoff's save on the 5 on 3. Notice how Orpik actually chases the puck carrier almost to the wall instead of staying where he should be.

That idiot did the same thing on the 4 on 3 in OT against Edmonton. I also notice that unlike Martin or Scuds on the PK, he NEVER drops to his knees or lays flat to prevent the cross crease pass.

I really, really ****ing can't stand him anymore.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Time to time? Like how often do you mean? How about this, I'll bet anyone here BB doesn't play in at least 70 games next season due to the idea that I believe he's ''injury prone'', anyone wanna take that bet?

He very well could get injured next season, but its hardly a guarentee, have you ever heard the term small sample size. Yes Bennett could be made of glass (and not Tanner either) but he could go the next 3 years without any major injuries. To early to come to a conclusion.

Michael8771*

He very well could get injured next season, but its hardly a guarentee, have you ever heard the term small sample size. Yes Bennett could be made of glass (and not Tanner either) but he could go the next 3 years without any major injuries. To early to come to a conclusion.
In this particular instance I'm dealing with what I believe to be a high probability of him succumbing to some sort of injury or ailment. I believe he's fragile and that certain players are magnets for misfortune or in this case injury. Sure it's possible he could play every game, but I'd say the odds are decidedly against him even hitting 70. I like my chances. Not that I wish any ill on the guy I don't, but his track record (to this point) is rather obvious.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
In this particular instance I'm dealing with what I believe to be a high probability of him succumbing to some sort of injury or ailment. I believe he's fragile and that certain players are magnets for misfortune or in this case injury. Sure it's possible he could play every game, but I'd say the odds are decidedly against him even hitting 70. I like my chances. Not that I wish any ill on the guy I don't, but his track record (to this point) is rather obvious.

ok, its entirely possible but i wouldnt call him injury prone until there is more evidence one way or the other.

Michael8771*

ok, its entirely possible but i wouldnt call him injury prone until there is more evidence one way or the other.
So what number of injuries does he have to hit? Four injuries in three years, at the very least he's not off to a good start.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
How about four times in three years?

This argument is crazeh because nobody would survive the 3rd strike. :sarcasm:

I think Bennett might be a little fra-gi-le, but not ready yet to categorize him as being a member of Team Gaborik. In case anyone is wondering the starting lineup for Team Gaborik looks like this:

Cammalleri - Connolly - Gaborik
M. Green - Salo
Backstrom / Ward

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Not sure where this came from, but favorite post in the thread

It came from the fact that Madden is the poster boy for "I'm a radio host, therefore because I have a microphone, I know more about what I talk about than you do"

Orpik is great
Letang is great
Megna and Gibbons suck

"I know more than you do cuz yer all stupid!!!" I love guys like that though. A pathetic middle ager who thinks he's cool because he gambles and hangs out with girls that he has to pay for.

When he talks about the Pens, he mostly knows what he's talking about. It's when he talks about the rest of the League is when I know he's speaking in generalities because most of the yinzers that listen to him watch as much non-Penguins hockey as he does, and don't have the ammo to call him out on it.

I doubt he stays up like I do after the Pens are done and watches the West Coast games. All I know is that LA and Anaheim last night was one of the best regular season games I've ever seen. I'm sure fatso was too busy pleasuring himself over some upskirt pic he has on his phone.

Regardless, I've been right on about 90% of my "predictions" for our so called prospects, and I think we have something in Megna, but these idiots are going to toss him aside like he's some scrub.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I just watched Zatkoff's save on the 5 on 3. Notice how Orpik actually chases the puck carrier almost to the wall instead of staying where he should be.

That idiot did the same thing on the 4 on 3 in OT against Edmonton. I also notice that unlike Martin or Scuds on the PK, he NEVER drops to his knees or lays flat to prevent the cross crease pass.

Agreed. He's gone into a precipitous downward spiral since we won the Cup. It was bad, now it's awful. He's not even a servicable guy anymore, he's a pure liability on the ice.

But, we all know Shero's gonna re-sign him. Bylsma and Shero thought so highly of him that he's on the Olympic roster over guys like Yandle, or even Erik Johnson, and Jack Johnson. He's an extremely valuable player in their minds, so I think it's all but concluded he's going to re-sign his retirement deal this summer.

Michael8771*

I think Bennett might be a little fra-gi-le, but not ready yet to categorize him as being a member of Team Gaborik. In case anyone is wondering the starting lineup for Team Gaborik looks like this:

M. Green - Salo
Backstrom / Ward
I don't think he's as bad as Gaborik, but I'd say he's trending in that direction. And there are different degrees of being ''injury prone''. I don't understand why people have an issue here. Here's an example: Crosby is a franchise player, Toews also is considered a franchise player, yet they aren't equal. That's the premise I'm operating under.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
So what number of injuries does he have to hit? Four injuries in three years, at the very least he's not off to a good start.

I'll give you that but at the same time if he didnt miss a game his first 3 pro years i woulnt be calling him an ironman either. If it continues with another significant injurt in the next year and a half id be willing to start going there.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

His stick isn't even active and it's the first thing your thought as a kid when playing PK

I like the guy and what he's done for us in the past but it's time to move on and trade him, just like the Sharks did with Murray last year. Let's get something for him cause we no longer need him going forward

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
When I think of the term injury prone I think of someone who typically has the same recurring injury. Not someone blocking a shot and breaking something. Not someone slamming into the boards at high speeds and snapping their ankle. More like the Gaboriks, Havlats and now maybe even Gronks of the world. He breaks his forearm over and over. So that's injury prone. Those who aren't injury prone can still get injured and be unlucky or wrong place, wrong time.

Slabber Chops

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
I'm not sure if this the right place, however, as I haven't been able to watch any games for the last couple of weeks after burning through my broadband cap over Xmas and New Years, I thought I'd ask.

How has Pyatt turned out after coming across as a waiver pick-up? When the Bennett's and Dupuis's of this world return, does he still have a place? Thanks

Michael8771*

I'm not sure if this the right place, however, as I haven't been able to watch any games for the last couple of weeks after burning through my broadband cap over Xmas and New Years, I thought I'd ask.

How has Pyatt turned out after coming across as a waiver pick-up? When the Bennett's and Dupuis's of this world return, does he still have a place? Thanks
He's been slightly better than what I expected. As far as him staying in the line up if we get healthy or make a trade, I'd say it's iffy.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Duper is out for the year. When we are fully healthy, I expect this to be the lineup:

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Pyatt-Sutter-Kobasew/Gibbons/Megna
Glass-Vitale-Adams

So unless this team gets 2 top 9 wingers, I expect Pyatt to be on the playoff roster. He's been a pleasant surprise actually. He's not ideal for the 3rd line, but we don't have the depth or the guts to sit Glass or Adams and play him on the 4th line. He's a great net front presence on the 2nd PP and good along the boards.

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
But, we all know Shero's gonna re-sign him. Bylsma and Shero thought so highly of him that he's on the Olympic roster over guys like Yandle, or even Erik Johnson, and Jack Johnson. He's an extremely valuable player in their minds, so I think it's all but concluded he's going to re-sign his retirement deal this summer.

Really hope that decision kicks them in the ass and team USA gets lit up(sorry guys :p:) by Canada and/or Russia thanks in no small part to the play of one #44. Perhaps something like that might make them think twice.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008

M. Green - Salo
Backstrom / Ward

No DiPietro? I would think he'd be captain of Team Gaborik.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

I don't know what you're even talking about. I distinctly remember Orpik going to one knee and putting his stick along the ice so the pass in front would have to be in the air for many games. He blocks shots and is most likely leading the team in that category.

He is while playing less games than his closest teammate in the category. http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142PITDADALL&sort=blockedShots&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

The following the player to the boards is called pressuring the puck carrier. You have to do that sometimes. Standing in a zone coverage the whole time is not going to pressure the puck carrier and have a chance at getting the puck out. You have to force turnovers.

Orpik really deserves better than you all give him.

His stick isn't even active and it's the first thing your thought as a kid when playing PK

I like the guy and what he's done for us in the past but it's time to move on and trade him, just like the Sharks did with Murray last year. Let's get something for him cause we no longer need him going forward

So now Orpik equates to Douglas Murray?

That's a terrible comparison.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
He blocks shots and is most likely leading the team in that category.

He is while playing less games than his closest teammate in the category. http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142PITDADALL&sort=blockedShots&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

Blocked shots is an interesting stat when it comes to measuring defensive play, on one hand it may be you're good enough to consistently get in shooting lanes, or bad enough that the other team has the puck more than you do, so which is it in Orpik's case,?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad