Post-Game Talk: Not even zebra charity can help that bunch, Pens-6, Islanders -more than they earned

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
+++Sid-Kunitz
+++Maatta-Niskanen
+PK - especially Z, Sutter, Adams, Kobasew & Kunitz
+Megna's break away
+Sutter ENG
+Malkin-Jokinen-Neal

=Pyatt

+/- Megna's non-existent backcheck (except that one time)

-Glass, Adams & Kobasew at 5v5
-Pyatt & Sutter's defensive positioning on the NYI 3rd goal

+/-- Letang-Scuderi - contributed to goals but also had bad positioning, transition & communication
+/--- Orpik-Martin - good 1v1 and PK work but absolutely horrid at everything else including being directly responsible for 3 goals
--- Letting 2 goals in & letting the Isles back into the game

Kobasew is not the answer on the top line, but I don't think Megna has played particularly well even if talent-wise he should be an improvement.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
+Kobe continuing to suck. Putting him on the 1st line and him killing the play and sucking out loud seems like a setup for waivers within a few games
+Engo looks like he had skating lessons
-It doesn't matter, because he's stuck with Glass&Adams

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Let's be honest... Dan's said a lot of things. He's said going into the season Bennett was going to be Geno's LW. That lasted how many shifts--let alone games?

Bylsma is the last guy in the world I'd put any faith into making the correct, or Hell, commonsense decision. The guy is spitefully stubborn, it seems like. He coaches like he tries to do things WRONG on purpose to prove his genius if Sid or Geno manage to make them work on their talent alone.

Well he said that Bennett was going to be a top six winger... and he did replace Dupuis earlier in the year. Normally I wouldn't believe him, but we really don't have any other option.

In the world of Bylsma Logic, I believe he's not putting Megna with Sid now because he doesn't want Sid to get comfortable with him since it's not in his plans to have Megna on the roster when everyone is healthy.

This. The dude is made out of glass. I like him, and think he's a solid player, but he cannot stay healthy. Someone needs to make him drink more milk.

I'm not sure how many times the "Bennett injury prone" nonsense needs to be disproved before it actually starts to sink in around here.

BeauKnows19

Mar 28, 2012
New Jersey
I was at the game, there were a lot of pens fans there, especially sitting right where I was. We tried to get some lets go Pens chants going, I'm not sure if they were loud though.

I have no idea why Megna is not playing on Crosby's wing. Kobasew is just always a step behind them and can't handle the passes/finishing the plays. It seems like a no brainer to have the faster and smarter player with Sid. But I guess with Bylsma it's illegal to play a rookie over a vet.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Well he said that Bennett was going to be a top six winger... and he did replace Dupuis earlier in the year. Normally I wouldn't believe him, but we really don't have any other option.

In the world of Bylsma Logic, I believe he's not putting Megna with Sid now because he doesn't want Sid to get comfortable with him since it's not in his plans to have Megna on the roster when everyone is healthy.

I'm not sure how many times the "Bennett injury prone" nonsense needs to be disproved before it actually starts to sink in around here.

That's some pretty asinine thinking, but I wouldn't put it past Bylsma. Play an inferior guy because you don't want Sid to get comfortable with the better option only to replace him with Bennett. If both players aren't going to be playing there when Bennett comes back, you play the better one now, right? Right?! Not Bylsma. :laugh:

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
Letang had some dumb plays, but in a rare move, he was fantastic on the PP tonight. That's the best I've seen him on the man-advantage in a loooong-time. He wasn't only not ****ing things up, he was generating a ton and making smart decisions with the puck.

Helps that they were playing the Islanders and their 30th ranked 75% PK.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
That's some pretty asinine thinking, but I wouldn't put it past Bylsma. Play an inferior guy because you don't want Sid to get comfortable with the better option only to replace him with Bennett. If both players aren't going to be playing there when Bennett comes back, you play the better one now, right? Right?! Not Bylsma. :laugh:

All Bylsma Logic is asinine :laugh:

I think it's the idea of "If they look good together now, I don't know how to justify breaking them up later." He doesn't have to worry about Kobasew looking good there, he doesn't look good anywhere.

It's the same reason that Vitale was Sid's winger over Neal when Geno was out.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
It's not going to happen, but I'd still like to see (and forgive me if I don't get the wings right, just trying to get the lines close)

Kunitz-Sid-TRADE
Neal-Geno-Bennett
Jokinen-Sutter-Megna
Sill-Vitale-Engelland

Any combination of 6 D that includes Despres, but DOESN'T include Orpik.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Trying to understand Bylsma's coaching is like trying to understand women. Makes absolutely no sense to any man with half a brain.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Letang had some dumb plays, but in a rare move, he was fantastic on the PP tonight. That's the best I've seen him on the man-advantage in a loooong-time. He wasn't only not ****ing things up, he was generating a ton and making smart decisions with the puck.

The Isles aren't exactly stellar on the PK. There was alot of open passes and not much pressure on him to be fair.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I mean, Bennett's a bit injury prone. He injured his knee (I think?) and his wrist in college, both times missing significant time, and he's had two significant injuries this season.

I'm not saying he's made of glass, but he misses his fair share of time. Doesn't help to showcase his talent when he is healthy, and Bylsma plays him with Gladams, but still.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
I thought Orpik had a good game... until the second half of it. That third goal was definitely, definitely not all on him. But the fourth was. Despres would not make that weak ass move there, and that's ridiculous. Despres, in limited time, has straight played Orpik the **** off of this team.

The Isles aren't exactly stellar on the PK. There was alot of open passes and not much pressure on him to be fair.

True. Still, he's never gotten the credit he deserves for his work on the PP. He makes some poor choices, as we all know, but he brings some of the skill from the back end that puts this PP over the top too.

I'll make the rare ***** about who's playing on Sid's line and say it's obvious to everyone here that Megna should be there over Kobasew. Seriously, get that guy off there and switch it up.

penguins2946*

I love Maatta. That is all. I don't remember liking a young player this much since Geno.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I can't think of any reason why Kobasew should remain on Sid's RW.
Is it because they believe Kobasew is better defensively than a Megna or a Pyatt? Cuz he'd be wrong there too.

Then theres the TSN guys yesterday saying that maybe all these guys aren't used to playing Sid-like minutes. Yea, no, i'm not buying that. These are professional athletes.

So maybe they are just giving Koby his last shot to prove he belongs.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I mean, Bennett's a bit injury prone. He injured his knee (I think?) and his wrist in college, both times missing significant time, and he's had two significant injuries this season.

I'm not saying he's made of glass, but he misses his fair share of time. Doesn't help to showcase his talent when he is healthy, and Bylsma plays him with Gladams, but still.

Do you even know how he got his injuries on college?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
- Quicksand has played in 257 games without DB thinking maybe he needs to sit out a game. Think about how many stretches of putrid hockey he has played in that time. Not one time has he been sat. Let it sink in really hard...

Feel that burning under your skin and the pounding in your dome? What you are feeling is called insta-rage. Now munch on cardboard until you stop shaking.

- I don't think the refs screwed the Pens, but the call on Glass was BS. This cat finally hits someone with the puck and gets a penalty on his only nice play in like a week.

- on the Glass penalty, wtf was Maatta doing over committing to the boards behind his partner and letting JT walk down the middle? Really weird decision.

- I don't hate Kobasew. I think he could help form a legit fourth line with Vitale and Sill.

- #FreeMegna blah blah robble stobble.... Quicksand for Pres! Long live Free Candy!

Fire Shero*

Well look at his college numbers of games missed in connection to his injuries in the nhl. He should be considered injury prone until he proves otherwise.

He might not get injured for a longtime, but based on what we've seen, he's injury prone

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Well look at his college numbers of games missed in connection to his injuries in the nhl. He should be considered injury prone until he proves otherwise.

He might not get injured for a longtime, but based on what we've seen, he's injury prone

How did he get injured I college. Look it up before you make uninformed posts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad