Post-Game Talk: Not enough horses, Jets lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
And what is frustrating is the nature of the injuries. Ehlers is injured on a garbage dirty hit. Morrissey on a routine hit he initiated, and Scheifele gets injured on a breakaway. That's frustrating.
What type of play that a star player gets hurt in wouldn't be frustrating for you?

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
A few random thoughts about the game from the 300 level:

Vegas played as a team. They moved up and down the ice as a cohesive group. (Jets had troubles breaking this.) The Jets were more "individualistic". Vegas was good at clogging the neutral zone and ran all sorts of interference/picks that was uncalled by the refs.

Although not much was called, the refereeing was inconsistent at best. The two penalties that DeMelo took were not penalties , imo, and what's with the referee halfway across the rink calling penalties when the one literally at the play doesn't? And why did it take so long to call Dubois' "goal" a goal?

Helly (0.897) was out played by Larry (0.923). I think that Helly may have been overplayed this year and that shot to the head he took the other game didn't help.

Although the Jets went 2 for 2 on the power play, their perimeter type of PP is too easy to defend against.

Of the forwards, I thought that Lowry played well and was the best of the bunch. Wheeler surprised me with his decent play (nice shot on his goal) but he is very slow. Had Scheifele not got injured and so early, it could have been a W instead of an L. What has happened to Connor? He seemed so disinterested; he couldn't take a pass; and he refuses to move to the hard spots on the ice. I also think that he doesn't "see" the ice very well as a lot of his passes either miss or are to no one. He plays the game with his head down lately...not a recipe for success. I like Barron's, Namestnikov's and Niederreiter's games but they were stymied by a tight checking Vegas squad last night.

Of the D, overall I thought that they were OK. Pionk has admirably picked up the slack for Morrissey; I've always liked DeMelo's steady game (He makes a nice first pass.); Dillon tries hard but he, like Wheeler, is slow; Samberg is making great progress; Stanley played very cautiously; and Schmidt, well, Schmidt was Schmidt. I realize that most times there is little open space net-front to shoot at but if only he'd hit the net.....once....in....a....while.

I'll be watching and cheering on Thursday but my golf clubs are cleaned up and ready to go. (Lots of local courses opening Thursday, Friday or the weekend.)

Go Jets Go!

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I’m glad Chevy didn’t spend a 1st to upgrade any position. This team is not an upgraded d away from being a contender. The core has been mediocre and needs to be torn down.

How do you propose to get our guy to come to wpg? Coaches and GM don’t have or want to come to wpg unless they take a risk on an unknown and NHL is too result heavy to do that.

I don't own the team. I don't have to propose anything. I don't have to have a suggestion for how to get a new GM. That's Chipman's gig. It still is what needs to be done. Can it be done? Who knows?

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Shaundogg

Oct 3, 2019
Criticize the player, fine. But leave the homophobic slurs out of it. It's 2023. Only A-holes talk like that now.
Wasn't being homophobic at all, a fairy is known as a soft and gentle being with wings. I never mentioned anything about sexual preference or anything of that nature. And I'm aware what year it is, thanks.
Go pick your fights elsewhere.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don't own the team. I don't have to propose anything. I don't have to have a suggestion for how to get a new GM. That's Chipman's gig. It still is what needs to be done. Can it be done? Who knows?
I’m just in the phase no matter what jets do they won’t get the best guys and win.

Reactions: SensibleGuy

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

further to the above though - i think maybe a bit more proactivity from the organization would help. Holding out with the status quo far too long leads to a lot of dissatisfaction at all levels. Once you've left a coaching move (for instance) well beyond it's probable date of sale such that the coach resigns and the team is in complete disarray, it makes for a pretty un-appealing landing spot for any prospective new coach to consider coming to.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
So flipped things in this game: Wheeler got the goal and Dubois took the dumb penalty. And the lucky bounce.

We lost but it was fun to watch, in a crazy kind of exhilarating have-to-wash-your-hair-again in the morning sort of way. Winning the series would have been fantastic, but I won't be disheartened if we exit on Thursday in another well fought game.
I'd be happy just to have more of my hair back in the morning.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Everybody who knows hockey ... knows that in order to win you need a little luck, health and hot goaltending to go for a deep run in the playoffs to have a chance at winning the Stanley Cup.
Well the Jets had no luck so far.
How many bounces went off skates or sticks and resulted in goals for Vegas and even whiffing on a shot ended up in the net?
Missing half your top 6 and #1 D man on any team would not get you very far in the playoffs.
I won't even talk about Bettman's refs other than NOT one game in this series did the Jets have more PPs than Vegas which is weird because I saw Vegas running a lot of interference and not getting called.
If there's any good news ... the Jets were up twice 3-1 in a series and lost so maybe now its the Jets turn to win a series down 3-1. What goes around comes around ... right?

Next year what I want to see is Jets ice a goon team for one game vs the Wild at the end of the season and knock out a few Wild players for the playoffs ... screw the NHL and their player safety crap.

Go Jets Go

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Not enough horses because many have been sent to the glue factory.

With or without Scheifele The jets are really in trouble the next game.

But without him, they are about to be given their last rights.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
What type of play that a star player gets hurt in wouldn't be frustrating for you?
True, it's frustrating when a star player gets hurt for any reason.

Personally I'm finding it even more so just because the Ehlers injury was on a play that shouldn't have happened, and both Morrissey and Scheifele got injured on plays you don't commonly see injuries. Yeah you see injuries on knee on knee situations and when you crash into the boards, but Morrissey's was a pretty light hit, and Scheifele literally crashed into the boards on a breakaway which I don't think is too common.

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
I can't believe what I'm reading from some people here. I'm certainly hoping it's a very Fringe minority, but we're really going to blame the fans having a good time and dressing up in white for the on ice product failing? We're an unattractive small market and one of the few things we have going for us that makes us stand out and it's a fun thing for us, we're going to give that the axe? Because why? Pld takes stupid penalties? A bunch of our skill players get hurt? Last year's backup goaltender outperforms our current goaltender who's paid many times more money? What an absolute f***ing crock pardon my language. I feel like this is bad parody of shitty fan takes on a sports themed onion.
Agreed and well said. Some of the stuff that gets posted here is insanely stupid.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Its over with this version of Hellebuyck. I know there are others that need to be better, but again, even healthy I said that Hellebuyck had to be at the top of his game and he's allowed too many backbreaking goals. When Brossoit is outplaying you that is a problem.

I know I'm emotional but I am ready for a whole new guard - I'd be looking to move our expiring contracts and loading up on draft picks.

Hellebuyck outside of the first 2 rounds of 17-18 has been a very average goaltender, Scheifele can't seem to stay healthy - nor can Ehlers.

I don't know what happened to Connor but man have the wheels fallen off.

When your best 2 forwards are Wheeler and Lowry, you are in trouble.

I think Pionk has filled in admirably for Morrissey but he will never be even close to the ilk of 44.

Sell sell sell and bring a new GM in to hire his own coach and draft the new core.
There’s no goalie in the league that will be worth what Hellebucyk commands in his next deal both in terms of cap space and term. His play is really proving he probably isn’t worth it even in his prime. His regular season consistency is to be commended but he’s not a difference maker in the playoffs.

But generally, aside from critiquing Helle, you can’t build around a 9-10 million goalie. Way better off trying to ride a hot hand with a guy on a deal for half that and spend the rest on skaters.

Reactions: Orrrules and hn777

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I'm not a goalie, and I think the fancy stats disagree with me based on a graphic they showed last game, but I'm not so sure Helle is worthy of the level critique he is getting here in this series. It seems to me a lot of our shots have come from less dangerous areas, whereas Vegas has been great off the rush with high danger scoring chances, often with someone in place to bang home a rebound or redirect a puck with their foot.

Brossoit has been better than expected though.

Reactions: Slimy Sculpin

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Don’t think that Oilers team was decimated with the injuries to key players like these Jets.
All the Jets have to do is win one game, after two games that they could easily have won, and they'll be back in Winnipeg with a chance. No need to give up yet. If Vegas were some juggernaut it might be an unrealistic hope, but they're an average team that the Jets are totally capable of beating.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I'm not a goalie, and I think the fancy stats disagree with me based on a graphic they showed last game, but I'm not so sure Helle is worthy of the level critique he is getting here in this series. It seems to me a lot of our shots have come from less dangerous areas, whereas Vegas has been great off the rush with high danger scoring chances, often with someone in place to bang home a rebound or redirect a puck with their foot.

Brossoit has been better than expected though.

I think Vegas does a much better job on limiting the "high danger" level of the shots they give up so basically any goalie can play in their net. They were successful this season with 5 different goalies.

If Vegas gets past us, IMO you will see the real Brossoit, when Vegas faces someone ( be it Edmonton or Los Angeles ) who will make his goal crease a very messy place to be.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
BTW......don't like the name "Jets".....it's too much of a obvious reference to the globalist/military/industrial complex...

.......Winnipeg Milkbreads, perhaps
If memory serves me correctly, when the team name was announced there was an anti-war group that held a press conference to denounce it. Too violent, too militaristic, too this, too that. And like many of these groups, when their 3 mins on the evening news ended they pretty much melted away.

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
A few random thoughts about the game from the 300 level:

Although not much was called, the refereeing was inconsistent at best. The two penalties that DeMelo took were not penalties , imo, and what's with the referee halfway across the rink calling penalties when the one literally at the play doesn't?
Your lengthy post was excellent and I agree with everything you sad. But we lost and I'm grumpy so I'm going to point out your admission against interest.

You state that these were not penalties, in your opinion, after admitting how far away you were from the play. Then you denounce a referee for calling a penalty from halfway across the rink, but which is still closer than the 300 level. You totally invalidated your own opinion.

There, now I feel a little bit better.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
There’s no goalie in the league that will be worth what Hellebucyk commands in his next deal both in terms of cap space and term. His play is really proving he probably isn’t worth it even in his prime. His regular season consistency is to be commended but he’s not a difference maker in the playoffs.

But generally, aside from critiquing Helle, you can’t build around a 9-10 million goalie. Way better off trying to ride a hot hand with a guy on a deal for half that and spend the rest on skaters.
Yeah I think we could fetch a handsome return for him and save the big $$$ he'd command.

Luckily for us we seem to have an excellent goalie coach - so maybe we can find a diamond in the rough somewhere

Reactions: hn777
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad