Post-Game Talk: Not enough horses, Jets lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
No Josh mark or nik and the boys made a game of it

Agree with most folks takes on pionk Wheeler Lowry being playoff guys, Barron too. And Def Agree with those saying Connor Is not. KFC don't deliver in playoffs, scared of contact

Dubois? So it's probably at the point that his 1 game 5 years ago doesn't make him a playoff beast? Dudes penalty turned the game.

Schmidt can go tho, couldn't hit a net if it was 20 feet wide

Losing 55 hurt bad cuz 55 does step up in big moments at times, KFC and pld do not

When lows wheels stitches are your best chances at scoring, yeah. You gonna lose but they appeared to bust their asses atleast

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Shouldn't be necessary to have them both here.
I wondered at the time why it was Salminen called up and not Holm. Your explanation makes sense.

Is he protecting an injury?

He always used to at least be a good forechecker. Didn't shy away from contact in puck battles along the boards in the O zone.
Yes that's a possibility and i hope that's the case even though i don't want him hurt.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I've always understood them not being paid for playoffs as they don't get paid extra for the extra "work", so whether they make the playoffs or not they're still being paid the same, but they're still getting paid. I could be wrong though.

They are on contracts that pay them X $$ for the season, PO included. But players on 2 way contracts usually get a nice bonus when they get called up for a while. How that works in the PO I have no idea.

Reactions: Inanna

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
They are on contracts that pay them X $$ for the season, PO included. But players on 2 way contracts usually get a nice bonus when they get called up for a while. How that works in the PO I have no idea.
Yeah based on my understanding the players are still getting a regular paycheque, so the players on two ways would be getting their NHL pay for the time they're up.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Yeah based on my understanding the players are still getting a regular paycheque, so the players on two ways would be getting their NHL pay for the time they're up.
Players are paid for the regular season on a daily basis. The NHL divides the season into xxx days, I think 180 days or however long the regular season lasts, and players are paid per day they are on the roster based on salary. A one million dollar player would be paid $5,555.55 per day plus a per diem for meals of around $100. If you are called up but you only play one game in 10 days you get $55,555.50 for your time. Plus $ 1000 bucks for food but the teams feeds you so you don't even need that money.

I have no clue about the post season only that I assume the per diem is still paid. There is a possibility of bonus money per round that would be paid to the players by the NHL.

Reactions: Atoyot

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
The regular season is over so AHL players don't get NHL pay as that mechanism has ended.
They play for the job next year. They would also get a per diem I think.

It's like during the regular season if you use the league backup goalie accountant/Zamboni driver. He or she does not get paid at all but I think the players treat them to dinner and hand them some cash.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Players are paid for the regular season on a daily basis. The NHL divides the season into xxx days, I think 180 days or however long the regular season lasts, and players are paid per day they are on the roster based on salary. A one million dollar player would be paid $5,555.55 per day plus a per diem for meals of around $100. If you are called up but you only play one game in 10 days you get $55,555.50 for your time. Plus $ 1000 bucks for food but the teams feeds you so you don't even need that money.

I have no clue about the post season only that I assume the per diem is still paid. There is a possibility of bonus money per round that would be paid to the players by the NHL.
Thanks for the info. Six thousand bucks per day plus a per diem and I'm looking at my Sobey's tape and wondering where all the money goes. Sigh.

Time to clean up for my postponed-by-Jets-game-from-last-week date. A good movie can take one's mind off being down 1-3 in a series. I hope.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I can't believe what I'm reading from some people here. I'm certainly hoping it's a very Fringe minority, but we're really going to blame the fans having a good time and dressing up in white for the on ice product failing? We're an unattractive small market and one of the few things we have going for us that makes us stand out and it's a fun thing for us, we're going to give that the axe? Because why? Pld takes stupid penalties? A bunch of our skill players get hurt? Last year's backup goaltender outperforms our current goaltender who's paid many times more money? What an absolute f***ing crock pardon my language. I feel like this is bad parody of shitty fan takes on a sports themed onion.
I don't even buy this unattractive market thing. Plenty of guys have chosen to be here long term and they will continue to do so. Enough of this inferiority stuff! 😉

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
And some are saying that Jane Plain is the reason we win a lot of games.

Which of course I would never doubt, not even for a single second!
That's just me being hopeful, saying playing in front of that great loud White-out crowd is why we are losing is just goofy. But Plain Jane is going to get us a win tomorrow and another White-out, book it.:naughty: Oops i meant Thursday.:laugh:

Last edited:

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
I think Vegas does a much better job on limiting the "high danger" level of the shots they give up so basically any goalie can play in their net. They were successful this season with 5 different goalies.

If Vegas gets past us, IMO you will see the real Brossoit, when Vegas faces someone ( be it Edmonton or Los Angeles ) who will make his goal crease a very messy place to be.
The jets definitely make life much easier on Brossoit than Vegas does on Helly who did 'complain' about unlucky bounce.
It also seems like Vegas has 2 guys on the puck carrier before a shot can be taken whereas the Jets defenders collapse back and let the player take a shot. Perfect example was on one of the goals where Schmidt made a veiled attempt at a block instead of selling out and getting down to block it.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Or we’ve just been more undisciplined then Vegas. Since the second period of game two we’ve been chasing Vegas around. Refs haven’t been great this playoffs but they’re not the reason we’ve been losing.
I would add that Jet players do not draw penalties. For example, when is the last time Connor has drawn a penalty? Ehlers draws them because he takes a beating going through players whereas Connor is more perimeter play.
PLD usually takes someone with him.
Lowry is a beast who rarely goes down
Scheifele rarely gets the benefit of the doubt
an I could go on but overall NHL refs have never been accused of calling 'fair' games.

Reactions: hn777 and Jets 31

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I wanted to see this core one last time in a playoff run. I feel cheated with Ehlers, Morrissey, Schiefele, and Perfetti injured.

Team is outgunned.

"Cheated" feels like the right word. Would have been nice to see one last run, then even if they lost we could atleast be at peace knowing that we saw everything out of this core. Ending thing this way leaves a sour taste esp after how many injuries/suspensions they had in 2020 and 2021 playins/playoffs.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Helle has done a lot for this club and I am not blaming him for these losses and goaltending is highly variable in small samples but he hasn't put the kind of numbers you expect in this series nor in the late stages of the regular season. Compare his numbers to Pavelec's in the 2015 Ducks series:

Helle vs 2022 Vegas:

SV%: 0.895
Goals Saved Above Expected: -1.96

Pavs vs 2015 Ducks:

SV%: 0.891
Goals Saved Above Expected: -2.97

Both series had that feeling that it should have been a closer result than 4-0 sweep against the ducks and 3-1 down against Vegas. With so many injuries we needed Helle to be his Vezina level best but he has been merely average.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Considering the Jets are bringing Holm and Salminen to Vegas, would that suggest that Hellebuyck has been playing injured?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
don't think so, they wanted to give helle practice off and needed 2 goalies so they called up salminen at the start of playoffs, now bsd is hurt so they called up holm to be the back up
That tracks until they brought both of them to Vegas knowing neither will be back in time for the Moose to start their series. I get having them around during their own layoff but you don't need to travel with 3 goalies. Unless they're planning on having them in for practice tomorrow and shipping one of them back afterwards, otherwise it feels like insurance just in case Helle isn't good to go. Helle not practicing, especially during a 2 day break, also makes me wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad