Post-Game Talk: Not enough horses, Jets lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Good effort. Namestnikov probably had his worst game as a Jet. Dubois looks hurt and needs to stop sticking his leg out. Stanley finished with 0 hits. Top 6 Stenlund is a sad thing to behold. Hope any of Perfetti, Scheifele, and Ehlers are good to go on Thursday.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
The whiteout and passion of the fans apparently provides no advantage for the home team whatsoever.

Or, alternatively, the whiteout and passion don't provide enough advantage to overcome the fact the Jets have largely been a borderline playoff team. By all accounts Vegas should be destroying the Jets right now and aren't. Advantage: whiteout.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
So I did a quick check on all 8 playoffs series because I found it strange after 4 games the Jets never had more PPs than Vegas in any of the games ... so sure enough I was right.
The Jets are the only team in the playoffs that never had more PPs than the other team in any game.
Leafs media complained about all the Tampa PPs in the first game since then Leafs 13-9 PPs.
Face it small market teams get **** on.

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
So I did a quick check on all 8 playoffs series because I found it strange after 4 games the Jets never had more PPs than Vegas in any of the games ... so sure enough I was right.
The Jets are the only team in the playoffs that never had more PPs than the other team in any game.
Leafs media complained about all the Tampa PPs in the first game since then Leafs 13-9 PPs.
Face it small market teams get **** on.

Or we’ve just been more undisciplined then Vegas. Since the second period of game two we’ve been chasing Vegas around. Refs haven’t been great this playoffs but they’re not the reason we’ve been losing.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Or we’ve just been more undisciplined then Vegas. Since the second period of game two we’ve been chasing Vegas around. Refs haven’t been great this playoffs but they’re not the reason we’ve been losing.
Game 3’s OT was pretty egregious but other than that I think the refs have been lousy, but not unexpectedly lousy, considering lousy seems to be the NHL’s standard.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah he's not getting any younger so they needed to find a way to manage his work load. If he's back they can't go cheap on back ups any longer.

Rittich was fine as a backup. He had 2 early games that dragged his sv% down. He was not to blame in those games. He built his sv% back up through most of the season. Then he had 2-3 weak games late in the season that dragged his number back down. Who knows, if he had been given 2-3 more games late in the season he might have gotten his average back up a bit. That is what happens to backup goalies all the time. Small number of games leads to large swings in the stats. He should have been used more than he was.

In the end, his 90.1 sv% was not unusual by the standards for backups. Look at Brossoit's numbers. We had him for 3 years. Good year, bad year, good year. 92.5, 89.5, 92.7. He has continued that up and down pattern with F Vegas going 89.5 and 92.7.

Reactions: Stumbledore

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Was at the game last night, had a ton of fun. People were generally great. Was frankly a little disappointed to see our usher and security talking to a girl twice for standing up and cheering. How dare she be excited.

That aside I really enjoyed the game, given the players we are putting on the ice.

Consistent with everyone else I really thought highly of Lowry and Wheeler. Lowry thrives in this environment and is such a leader. Wheeler is Wheeler, an aging vet. But as we've seen so many times, his heart is on his sleeve and he is bleeding out everything he can for the team. Puck died a lot on his stick but I think that's age+exhaustion at this point.

Really, really liked Barron's game. I think he, a lot like Lowry, is built for the playoffs, at the very least mentally. Appleton rounding out the line could be improved upon, but I won't question his effort one bit.

Dubois is just an odd character. I think he could have played more like game one, but I have zero idea what he's doing sometimes. His penalty could have easily been a hard check, if he'd controlled his body more. Much more effective, no penalty result and he's a big man, it could have been crushing. Weird.

I love KFC but he really is the opposite of Lowry in nearly every way. I like his game in the regular season but he's strictly a perimeter player/goal scorer. Honestly Laine would be more of a playoff performer because he doesn't shy away from contact and hard spots on the ice. KFC did that on numerous times last night and we lost possession in the offensive end because of it. Would love to know what happened in Honolulu to shake his game up so much.

Pionk someone pointed out earlier has really stepped up like in the Canadian division playoffs and I couldn't agree more. He's a smaller guy and is taking a beating but won't back down. I didn't like his game so much in the regular season, almost to the point of wanting him traded, but I can't fault his play in the last three games.

I'll stick up a bit for Tree even though I'd prefer to see him moved. He came into a very important game with a lot of rust and did alright. No great crushing hits, but some good contact and played physical enough, though I agree he could have hit way more and harder. He did provide some intangible benefit too - in the second period there was a play close to the net that Helle stopped and Tree came in and bumped the Vegas player (Hague or Kolesar, can't remember which). Vegas player turned without knowing who hit him, saw Tree and backed right off to the bench. No push, no mouthing off, just looked away and skated to the bench. Pionk doesn't get that level of respect. Size matters - it ain't everything but it helped here.

Boys tried hard. But they are what they are, a terribly inconsistent team. Never sure if it's December 2022 or March 2023 that's going to show up. Down many players of significant importance and they've made the games interesting and worth watching.

And was it Billeck that was talking about the 'challenges' Vegas is facing with a player coming back rusty? Holy hell how stupid do you have to be? That rust is only there to allow for cap circumvention.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ritchie is injured so we need a backup

That's why we have Salminen as the 3rd. Now we have both Moose goalies.

The Moose don't play until the 28th so perhaps they figure he can be back in time from Vegas?

I don't expect Holm will see any action down there but it gives him a bigger one game payday. And maybe Rittich pulled something in practice that the Jets aren't telling us. Along with all the other stuff they don't tell us.

AFAIK, players don't get paid for PO.
Does that somehow work differently for AHL callups?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Was at the game last night, had a ton of fun. People were generally great. Was frankly a little disappointed to see our usher and security talking to a girl twice for standing up and cheering. How dare she be excited.

That aside I really enjoyed the game, given the players we are putting on the ice.

Consistent with everyone else I really thought highly of Lowry and Wheeler. Lowry thrives in this environment and is such a leader. Wheeler is Wheeler, an aging vet. But as we've seen so many times, his heart is on his sleeve and he is bleeding out everything he can for the team. Puck died a lot on his stick but I think that's age+exhaustion at this point.

Really, really liked Barron's game. I think he, a lot like Lowry, is built for the playoffs, at the very least mentally. Appleton rounding out the line could be improved upon, but I won't question his effort one bit.

Dubois is just an odd character. I think he could have played more like game one, but I have zero idea what he's doing sometimes. His penalty could have easily been a hard check, if he'd controlled his body more. Much more effective, no penalty result and he's a big man, it could have been crushing. Weird.

I love KFC but he really is the opposite of Lowry in nearly every way. I like his game in the regular season but he's strictly a perimeter player/goal scorer. Honestly Laine would be more of a playoff performer because he doesn't shy away from contact and hard spots on the ice. KFC did that on numerous times last night and we lost possession in the offensive end because of it. Would love to know what happened in Honolulu to shake his game up so much.

Pionk someone pointed out earlier has really stepped up like in the Canadian division playoffs and I couldn't agree more. He's a smaller guy and is taking a beating but won't back down. I didn't like his game so much in the regular season, almost to the point of wanting him traded, but I can't fault his play in the last three games.

I'll stick up a bit for Tree even though I'd prefer to see him moved. He came into a very important game with a lot of rust and did alright. No great crushing hits, but some good contact and played physical enough, though I agree he could have hit way more and harder. He did provide some intangible benefit too - in the second period there was a play close to the net that Helle stopped and Tree came in and bumped the Vegas player (Hague or Kolesar, can't remember which). Vegas player turned without knowing who hit him, saw Tree and backed right off to the bench. No push, no mouthing off, just looked away and skated to the bench. Pionk doesn't get that level of respect. Size matters - it ain't everything but it helped here.

Boys tried hard. But they are what they are, a terribly inconsistent team. Never sure if it's December 2022 or March 2023 that's going to show up. Down many players of significant importance and they've made the games interesting and worth watching.

And was it Billeck that was talking about the 'challenges' Vegas is facing with a player coming back rusty? Holy hell how stupid do you have to be? That rust is only there to allow for cap circumvention.
Good post and i agree, Connor is really frustrating to watch play right now, especially with Scheifele , Ehlers and Morrissey out, we need production from him. He's making 8 million a year and we need him scoring. He doesn't have to go around trying to hit guys but let's face it he's not great defensively so if he's not scoring he's almost invisible out there. I like Connor but we need way more out of him.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If they rush Scheif and Ehlers a bit are they going to be able to play near 100%? If not, will they be the difference makers?
I would say that back in the old days, many many players played injured, and likely some had concussions, as they didn't wear helmets.
Rules and medical standards were very lax in those days.

So, I'd say even if we get a Scheifele and Ehlers at 70 - 80 % of their ability, it would make a positive difference. A big enough difference to win the next game ? That's a tough call, as you know, as both are good teams. The Jets will be hungry, and playing with desperation.

One thing for sure, if we have both of them out, and Morrissey out, our chances of winning that game, I'd put in around 35 % at best. ( not good)

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
The Moose don't play until the 28th so perhaps they figure he can be back in time from Vegas?

I don't expect Holm will see any action down there but it gives him a bigger one game payday. And maybe Rittich pulled something in practice that the Jets aren't telling us. Along with all the other stuff they don't tell us.
I believe Holm was the backup last night too because Rittich was injured (upper body, I think).

Reactions: Stumbledore

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Honolulu?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
That's why we have Salminen as the 3rd. Now we have both Moose goalies.

AFAIK, players don't get paid for PO.
Does that somehow work differently for AHL callups?
I've always understood them not being paid for playoffs as they don't get paid extra for the extra "work", so whether they make the playoffs or not they're still being paid the same, but they're still getting paid. I could be wrong though.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
salminen is our 4th string, he was brought up so we could have to goalies at practice since helle was getting practice days off, holm is our 3rd string which is why he was on the bench last night instead of salminen

Shouldn't be necessary to have them both here.
I wondered at the time why it was Salminen called up and not Holm. Your explanation makes sense.

Good post and i agree, Connor is really frustrating to watch play right now, especially with Scheifele , Ehlers and Morrissey out, we need production from him. He's making 8 million a year and we need him scoring. He doesn't have to go around trying to hit guys but let's face it he's not great defensively so if he's not scoring he's almost invisible out there. I like Connor but we need way more out of him.

Is he protecting an injury?

He always used to at least be a good forechecker. Didn't shy away from contact in puck battles along the boards in the O zone.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would say that back in the old days, many many players played injured, and likely some had concussions, as they didn't wear helmets.
Rules and medical standards were very lax in those days.

So, I'd say even if we get a Scheifele and Ehlers at 70 - 80 % of their ability, it would make a positive difference. A big enough difference to win the next game ? That's a tough call, as you know, as both are good teams. The Jets will be hungry, and playing with desperation.

One thing for sure, if we have both of them out, and Morrissey out, our chances of winning that game, I'd put in around 35 % at best. ( not good)

I hate using injuries as an excuse because every team has them and every player plays through them at times. But 3 of our top 6 + our #1 Dman is getting to be a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad