Post-Game Talk: Not a good game: 5-3 Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
yeah lol, Ehlers is the least of my concerns. Even last night he still looked pretty good at times.

Afaic, whatever this "pinching D" thing is that it seems they are trying to incorporate, it's failing badly and needs to be re-examined poste haste. I'm not really sure why that notion has even become a thing this year. I mean we've got an influx of young rookies coming in at forward so what do we do? Oh, let's forego some defensive consciousness and go all in on offence and rely on those young guys to get it done!

Agree with you here, especially way too often we have either an odd man rush against or one of the rookies trying to cover. I could buy in if they were setting up some type of way to support the aggressive pinch but that doesn't seem to be the case.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Agree with you here, especially way too often we have either an odd man rush against or one of the rookies trying to cover. I could buy in if they were setting up some type of way to support the aggressive pinch but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Yeah, it doesn't help our young forwards when they constantly have to try and bust through other teams defensive shells because we are always playing from behind...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Exclude the first two weeks of the season and where are they, 25-30th?

We have played less than 20% of the season and you want to break down the sample size even more?

We also have 2 players in the top 10 in league scoring. When is the last time that happened?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Follow
Michael Russo ✔@Russostrib
Gabriel played 1 shift after the fight. Yeo said he was just shortening the bench. Haula praised Gabriel for fight, which sparked things
11:30 AM - 11 Nov 2015
7 7 Retweets 51 51 likes

Obligatory compliment for the rookie, completely staged fight and had no bearing on momentum :shakehead.

Russo is just who**** for retweets.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets were outmatched by the Wild speed early.

Can't even summon the interest for a full analysis.

Just my soapbox again (because it matters) - Ladd drags down every line he's on these days. He should sign for a nice long modest contract with the Jets or they should trade him.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeh it was boarding. Was ticked they didn't call it. :shakehead Little took a bit of a run and might have got the elbow up at the very end but as we saw, nothing came of either incident.

Little has to take a run at a bigger guy who boarded him at the end of a game that's out of reach? Where's the captain and everyone else?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I still remember watching this team at the phone booth against the Blues. We were swarming and looking brilliant during the first period. I actually was thinking "wow is this the year my team is making a step to being a contender".

How quick things change. Our D is a mess. Our forwards cant finish, and pavs is back to being pavs. It's goaltending groundhogs day, and the rest of the team cant overcome it. I don't find myself tearing home from work anymore to catch this team. This is really depressing.

Reality is somewhere between the high and the low.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Little has to take a run at a bigger guy who boarded him at the end of a game that's out of reach? Where's the captain and everyone else?

I think the next game something will go down. Think everyone was in shock there was no call at first. After that? I don't know. Didn't like it though.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Jets were outmatched by the Wild speed early.

Can't even summon the interest for a full analysis.

Just my soapbox again (because it matters) - Ladd drags down every line he's on these days. He should sign for a nice long modest contract with the Jets or they should trade him.

When did "these days" start?

Where would Little and Wheeler be ranked if Ladd hadn't dragged them down to 4th and 7th in league scoring?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
We have played less than 20% of the season and you want to break down the sample size even more?

We also have 2 players in the top 10 in league scoring. When is the last time that happened?

That's all beside the point, the Jets goal differential has now dropped to a negative number and teams with such don't make the play-off's!

And as Whilee pointed out pretty bizarre no one on the Jets saw fit to come to Little's aid when he was run into the glass last night, seems to me the Jets level of caring is about zilch. Ladd and Buff playing un-signed is a huge distraction for the team and that's on Chevy!

TenderBender

Feb 25, 2015
yeah lol, Ehlers is the least of my concerns. Even last night he still looked pretty good at times.

Afaic, whatever this "pinching D" thing is that it seems they are trying to incorporate, it's failing badly and needs to be re-examined poste haste. I'm not really sure why that notion has even become a thing this year. I mean we've got an influx of young rookies coming in at forward so what do we do? Oh, let's forego some defensive consciousness and go all in on offence and rely on those young guys to get it done!

I also agree with this sentiment. This needs to change.

The new D pinch in the NZ is a notable adjustment to their D systems that just hasn't panned out. The reality is that when you add something like this, you have to give something else up... They probably wanted to create more NZ turnovers and use their speed for quick counterattack, but they sought this at the risk of more odd man rushes. A good system should have some kind of compensatory mechanism for this (additional backchecking routes) but all evidence suggests they aren't getting the turnovers they hoped for and are getting the odd man rushes they hoped to avoid.

It is possible that the Jets aren't yet "executing" the system that is in place.. but I think it might not be the right fit for the defense corps we have. I looked at that Trouba pinch yesterday and thought "Noooooooooo! They are actively breeding another Stuart!!!"

TenderBender

Feb 25, 2015
That's all beside the point, the Jets goal differential has now dropped to a negative number and teams with such don't make the play-off's!

And as Whilee pointed out pretty bizarre no one on the Jets saw fit to come to Little's aid when he was run into the glass last night, seems to me the Jets level of caring is about zilch. Ladd and Buff playing un-signed is a huge distraction for the team and that's on Chevy!

Consider though that any "defense" of Little would result in penalties and possible shifts in momentum. I agree that it is important to stick up for your teammates, and I think the Jets do a pretty good job of this. At that point in the game though, in the OZ, restraint was the right move.. the refs should have taken care of that one. I certainly don't take their response to that hit as indicative of some general lack of caring.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Where would Little and Wheeler be ranked if Ladd hadn't dragged them down to 4th and 7th in league scoring?

From my vantage point, it is all Little and Wheeler. They are dragging Ladd along. That's what I see. He's inert on the PP. They tried him with Scheif and Ehlers and he was 3 steps behind.

He's slow on the forecheck. He still is prone to bad turnovers in his own end.

Oh, and Lowry looks too slow to play against a team like the Wild I would either put him on wing on 4th line. Move Burmi or Copp or Petan into the 3rd line C.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Consider though that any "defense" of Little would result in penalties and possible shifts in momentum. I agree that it is important to stick up for your teammates, and I think the Jets do a pretty good job of this. At that point in the game though, in the OZ, restraint was the right move.. the refs should have taken care of that one. I certainly don't take their response to that hit as indicative of some general lack of caring.

No, someone needs to take care of that. Penalty or not. It's Brian freakin' Little, our leading scorer.

Derfel*

Uh - Ladd has 4 goals and 7 assists. My guess is that those assists include feeding both Wheeler and Little some of their goals? :dunno:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

You tell what team in the NHL would have let the hit on the teams #1C and leading goal scorer stand without retaliation. If I was Little I would have been PO'd (Im sure he is) that no one had the guts to come to his defense. Wild were up two goals so the chance the Jets could even tie the game at that point was futile.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

These guys are professional hockey players , if they are playing like crap because Ladd and Buff aren't re-signed that's absolutely terrible !!! :rant: Don't these guys like winning hockey games , isn't that why they are playing ? Ladd is the captain , supposed to lead by example and he isn't doing anything out there ! I sure hope Chevy knows what is going on with Ladd , and if Ladd is hurt and the coaches still play him knowing that .... wow we are in trouble !

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I hate to beat a dead horse, but someone must have told them that they can take their time with plays or something. As someone pointed out earlier, we were the ones swarming at the beginning of the year and now we are being swarmed. We have a ton of speed and talent but aside from a few players, there is very little urgency in our game.

I guess we are playing the possession game but when that results in U.S. Retreating into our own zone to retain possession, we had better not turn it over. Beginning of the year we rarely did that. Get the puck? Turn it up the ice immediately and get shots on goal.

I just don't think the effort is there from the whole team for the whole game. You pay people millions of dollars per year and they take long stretches of the season off. It's terrible.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You tell what team in the NHL would have let the hit on the teams #1C and leading goal scorer stand without retaliation. If I was Little I would have been PO'd (Im sure he is) that no one had the guts to come to his defense. Wild were up two goals so the chance the Jets could even tie the game at that point was futile.

There was also something like 15 seconds left. Little was ticked enough that he took a run... none of the other "leaders" on the ice seemed to be bothered by it. Maybe Buff will throw Coyle's pajamas in the shower, or something. Or Ladd will glare at him.

It's not a big deal, but if Maurice is going to keep Thorbs and Peluso and Stuart in the mix, and praise his team for their aggressive play even if it results in too many penalties, then that team better respond in those situations. A staged fight against a rookie won't do the trick, Mo.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
By the way, is anyone else sharing my concern about Perreault's play? He seems to make a lot of bone-headed plays with the puck. Last night, he pulled a "Stuart" - wristing a shot directly into the shinpads of an onrushing forward. He needs to pull out of his funk. Having him and Ladd on the first PP is not a good combination right now.

Derfel*

By the way, is anyone else sharing my concern about Perreault's play? He seems to make a lot of bone-headed plays with the puck. Last night, he pulled a "Stuart" - wristing a shot directly into the shinpads of an onrushing forward. He needs to pull out of his funk. Having him and Ladd on the first PP is not a good combination right now.

Agreed - but I think he's aware of it and he's "trying too hard", which is just making it worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad