Status
Not open for further replies.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Follow
Michael Russo ✔@Russostrib
Gabriel played 1 shift after the fight. Yeo said he was just shortening the bench. Haula praised Gabriel for fight, which sparked things
11:30 AM - 11 Nov 2015
7 7 Retweets 51 51 likes

Well Peluso is one of, if not the best fighter in the league maybe we should get him to fight 4 times a period? With that much spark and momentum I see an undefeated season in our future. 82-0 here we go!

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I hate to beat a dead horse, but someone must have told them that they can take their time with plays or something. As someone pointed out earlier, we were the ones swarming at the beginning of the year and now we are being swarmed. We have a ton of speed and talent but aside from a few players, there is very little urgency in our game.

I guess we are playing the possession game but when that results in U.S. Retreating into our own zone to retain possession, we had better not turn it over. Beginning of the year we rarely did that. Get the puck? Turn it up the ice immediately and get shots on goal.

I just don't think the effort is there from the whole team for the whole game. You pay people millions of dollars per year and they take long stretches of the season off. It's terrible.

How long do you think it took opposing coaches to figure that out and counter act it, there is a reason Mo is only a carer .500 coach. He's no Babcock and he certainly isn't even a Mike Yeo!

And how in the hell do you have the captain of your hockey team playing without a contract not even knowing if he will be here for the rest of the season or next year?!:shakehead

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
By the way, is anyone else sharing my concern about Perreault's play? He seems to make a lot of bone-headed plays with the puck. Last night, he pulled a "Stuart" - wristing a shot directly into the shinpads of an onrushing forward. He needs to pull out of his funk. Having him and Ladd on the first PP is not a good combination right now.

Yeh he looks pretty bad right now.

Well Peluso is one of, if not the best fighter in the league maybe we should get him to fight 4 times a period? With that much spark and momentum I see an undefeated season in our future. 82-0 here we go!

Sounds good to me! :popcorn:

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
From my vantage point, it is all Little and Wheeler. They are dragging Ladd along. That's what I see. He's inert on the PP. They tried him with Scheif and Ehlers and he was 3 steps behind.

He's slow on the forecheck. He still is prone to bad turnovers in his own end.

Oh, and Lowry looks too slow to play against a team like the Wild I would either put him on wing on 4th line. Move Burmi or Copp or Petan into the 3rd line C.

Ladd's play away from the puck is still the best on the team - outside of Little it's not really close either.

edit : I use "still" but Fro might have been a tad better but leaning towards D obv.

TenderBender

Feb 25, 2015
You tell what team in the NHL would have let the hit on the teams #1C and leading goal scorer stand without retaliation. If I was Little I would have been PO'd (Im sure he is) that no one had the guts to come to his defense. Wild were up two goals so the chance the Jets could even tie the game at that point was futile.

Tell me what team was in that exact position before, and we'll have an answer. I disagree that the attempt to comeback at that point was futile.. as a fan it definitely looked improbable, but if we're really putting ourselves in the shoes of players you have to admit that the main goal at that point was to continue the offensive pressure if the ref wasn't going to call a penalty. Why do you think Little kept playing instead of making his way to the bench?

Look, I'm all for some retribution in these cases, as well as sending messages that the Jets won't tolerate those kinds of plays to their teammates. When we see someone on our team get hurt or suffer an unfair play, we want justice. In the specific context of the hit on Little, the Jets had very little to gain in going after Coyle, and a lot to gain by keeping the play moving. The missed opportunity on that play came from the refs, not the players imo.

TenderBender

Feb 25, 2015
There was also something like 15 seconds left. Little was ticked enough that he took a run... none of the other "leaders" on the ice seemed to be bothered by it. Maybe Buff will throw Coyle's pajamas in the shower, or something. Or Ladd will glare at him.

How did that work out for Little? The other "leaders" also seemed preoccupied with pushing the play.

It's not a big deal, but if Maurice is going to keep Thorbs and Peluso and Stuart in the mix, and praise his team for their aggressive play even if it results in too many penalties, then that team better respond in those situations. A staged fight against a rookie won't do the trick, Mo.

wut? That fight had nothing to do with the team's identity as aggressive and physical. That was a rookie trying to carve out space for himself on the team and Thorbs accommodating him.

Getzholm

Jan 21, 2015
Wasn't Stafford on your guy's top line last year? I recall it being really successful. Is it possible/realistic they revisit this and move Ladd or Wheeler (whoever it was on the 2nd line last year) to the second line with Scheifele, and move pieces to make a better 3rd line as well?

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
From my vantage point, it is all Little and Wheeler. They are dragging Ladd along. That's what I see. He's inert on the PP. They tried him with Scheif and Ehlers and he was 3 steps behind.

He's slow on the forecheck. He still is prone to bad turnovers in his own end.

Oh, and Lowry looks too slow to play against a team like the Wild I would either put him on wing on 4th line. Move Burmi or Copp or Petan into the 3rd line C.

Ladd's play away from the puck is still the best on the team - outside of Little it's not really close either.

edit : I use "still" but Fro might have been a tad better but leaning towards D obv.

I think you're both right.
Conclusion: He is still good, but not a $7M/yr or $40M total cost player. No wonder these contract negotiations are taking so long.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
This (bad) Perreault is still the Jets best possession player and 4th in team scoring - despite a low personal shooting percentage.

Neither he nor Ladd is the problem. The top 6 has been extremely effective. The Lowry line, the 4th line and defense have been the problem.

Why do so many people bkame the most effective players when thebteam struggles?

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Need to send Petan and Copp down till next year.Replace them with Lowery and Perreault on the fourth and get 2 better players to fill the void on the third line.

By the way, is anyone else sharing my concern about Perreault's play?

Agreed - but I think he's aware of it and he's "trying too hard", which is just making it worse.

Yeh he looks pretty bad right now.

Untitled.png

Purple is exceeding expectations.
Grey is meeting or small sample.
Orange is not meeting expectations.

:banghead:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
This team is still a bubble team. They had a chance to take a step this offseason if we'd kept Frolik and Stempniak, but Chevy chose instead to roll the dice with youth. Probably a bad choice in a division like the Central. We can only hope it'll be of some benefit to Copp and Petan - or at least not hinder their development.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I think we'll know where this team stands by the end of this road trip. Unfortunately it has started very poorly. We're a .500 team right now and not trending the right direction in a very tough division. Keep going this way and we'll be making Ladd and Buff available.

TenderBender

Feb 25, 2015
I didn't say he was playing badly, I just said he's trying too hard to score at times and failing.

Then again - it comes down to the old argument that corsi doesn't win you games alone.

The top 6 does win you games when they are playing well, and they are playing well.

Can't it be both? Maybe they are carrying possession, but their shot % isn't where it could be. Perrault normally hovers in the mid teens, but right now is at 6.3%. Still early, and we should expect improvement, but it might explain what we are seeing. Good corsi, bad S%.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
This team is still a bubble team. They had a chance to take a step this offseason if we'd kept Frolik and Stempniak, but Chevy chose instead to roll the dice with youth. Probably a bad choice in a division like the Central. We can only hope it'll be of some benefit to Copp and Petan - or at least not hinder their development.

This is the management that led to a Morrissey-Stoykewych pairing in the AHL. Development?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Wasn't Stafford on your guy's top line last year? I recall it being really successful. Is it possible/realistic they revisit this and move Ladd or Wheeler (whoever it was on the 2nd line last year) to the second line with Scheifele, and move pieces to make a better 3rd line as well?

Stafford produced offensively last season primarily playing with Scheifele on the 2nd line. LLW has always been the Jets most productive line when playing together. Last season Frolik was often played on the 1st to help balance out the lines.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
This is the management that led to a Morrissey-Stoykewych pairing in the AHL. Development?

It's the AHL version of being paired with Mark Stuart... :sarcasm:

And speaking of the AHL, what happened to Zinger's uncanny ability to unearth talent? That's quite a team he's assembled there...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think we'll know where this team stands by the end of this road trip. Unfortunately it has started very poorly. We're a .500 team right now and not trending the right direction in a very tough division. Keep going this way and we'll be making Ladd and Buff available.

I think we are just in the 1st sky is falling stretch of the season. last year there was approx 1/2 dozen of them but each time the team was able to right the ship. We do love our highs and lows around here.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Maurice in post practice scrum:

"Our focus on scoring is the kiss of death right now"

I'd expect a tighter game moving forward, less D moving up through the neutral zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad