Post-Game Talk: Not a good game: 5-3 Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I really don't know why they've wanted to be so aggressive with the D pinching. I would think we'd want to be tighter defensively regardless. And it's not like we have the best goaltending either.

TenderBender

Feb 25, 2015
I think they wanted to create some NZ turnovers, but it didn't really work out. Add greater risk for odd man rushes and we can see how that change became a disaster.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Maurice in post practice scrum:

"Our focus on scoring is the kiss of death right now"

I'd expect a tighter game moving forward, less D moving up through the neutral zone.

No duh. The Montreal game completely exposed this. What is taking so long to make the corrections / adjustments?!

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I'm seeing this narrative a lot today, but activating the D caused zero goals last night.

Huh, what? Stuart's foray deeper into the Wild end as Postma was shooting from the opposite point led directly to Vanek's first goal. There were also numerous odd man rushes as a result of the D pushing up too far in the neutral zone or at the opposing blue line.

Trying to remember the other goals, there might have been more but I'm trying to block the memory of that game out.

TenderBender

Feb 25, 2015
I'm seeing this narrative a lot today, but activating the D caused zero goals last night.

I don't recall any comments suggesting that it did.

I think what is at issue here is the NZ pinching leading to odd man rushes, which it did last night as well as in other games this season. Some of those have led to goals. Our defensive woes last night were merely the jumping off point for that more general discussion.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't recall any comments suggesting that it did.

I think what is at issue here is the NZ pinching leading to odd man rushes, which it did last night as well as in other games this season. Some of those have led to goals. Our defensive woes last night were merely the jumping off point for that more general discussion.

Yeah not just referring to comments on here... radio, work as well.

I think there were a lot of mental mistakes last night... really didn't look sharp.

On the Vanek goal, recall there being two Jets at the blue line when Postman took the shot; hardly a problem of activated D, just two Jets not reacting to Vanek's early departure from the Wild zone. The shorthanded goal was because Perreault raced in to help win the draw before seeing where the puck was going (happened a few times this year, once to Myers cost us a goal) and the Wild forward was off to the races (unimpeded). I'm betting the second Vanek goal has been discussed enough... brain farts on Stu and Postma. Fifth goal was on Hutch.

I didn't see the first goal but activated D men weren't the problem last night. It may be an issue, but we don't need to give it more credit than it has deserved so far.

I think the problem so far this year has been between the ears. Few games where the players might think that they have enough skill on the team to get by without "paying the price."

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Yeah not just referring to comments on here... radio, work as well.

I think there were a lot of mental mistakes last night... really didn't look sharp.

On the Vanek goal, recall there being two Jets at the blue line when Postman took the shot; hardly a problem of activated D, just two Jets not reacting to Vanek's early departure from the Wild zone. The shorthanded goal was because Perreault raced in to help win the draw before seeing where the puck was going (happened a few times this year, once to Myers cost us a goal) and the Wild forward was off to the races (unimpeded). I'm betting the second Vanek goal has been discussed enough... brain farts on Stu and Postma. Fifth goal was on Hutch.

I didn't see the first goal but activated D men weren't the problem last night. It may be an issue, but we don't need to give it more credit than it has deserved so far.

I think the problem so far this year has been between the ears. Few games where the players might think that they have enough skill on the team to get by without "paying the price."

Short handed goal against was all Buff. He was puck watching and along the near boards. Didn't avcount for the player who was still in the zone. Buff drifts back to red line. And has his blinders off, there's no breakaway. Jets didn't have puck. What's Buff watching?

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Could Stu ever be healthy scratched? I see him more as a 7th d man than 5th. Would rather roll the dice with Postma and Chiarot, at least they know how to skate.

Not a fan of Stu

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
And I naively thought it would be Petan who would be given the opportunity to move up :shakehead

Thor has already moved up a couple of other times this year.

I said before the season that Thor taking a single shift on the 3rd line would make letting Stemp walk (or not signing another comparable player) was a blatant oversight. I still believe that.

I like the look of that 4th line, but Thor on the third sucks.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Thor has already moved up a couple of other times this year.

I said before the season that Thor taking a single shift on the 3rd line would make letting Stemp walk (or not signing another comparable player) was a blatant oversight. I still believe that.

I like the look of that 4th line, but Thor on the third sucks.

I couldn't agree more, Chevy really made a mistake. This team has serious depth issues once again.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
That '3rd' line should be 'fun' to watch. Remind me again the last time Stafford even got a point? I guess Maurice really is serious about not wanting to worry about scoring ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad