Post-Game Talk: Not a good game: 5-3 Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Out 403*

I still remember watching this team at the phone booth against the Blues. We were swarming and looking brilliant during the first period. I actually was thinking "wow is this the year my team is making a step to being a contender".

How quick things change. Our D is a mess. Our forwards cant finish, and pavs is back to being pavs. It's goaltending groundhogs day, and the rest of the team cant overcome it. I don't find myself tearing home from work anymore to catch this team. This is really depressing.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
I still remember watching this team at the phone booth against the Blues. We were swarming and looking brilliant during the first period. I actually was thinking "wow is this the year my team is making a step to being a contender".

How quick things change. Our D is a mess. Our forwards cant finish, and pavs is back to being pavs. It's goaltending groundhogs day, and the rest of the team cant overcome it. I don't find myself tearing home from work anymore to catch this team. This is really depressing.

I would say our goaltending has been the best aspect of our team so far, but both pavs and hutch have had some clinkers in recent games. The team in front of them in those games have been just as bad.
All teams go through slumps so I'm hoping this is just temporary.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah hopefully in a couple games we'll all be cheering and feeling positive again. For myself though, I just haven't felt all that great about the team over much of the season so far. I don't think the team has been as good as the w/l record would indicate. I feel like there's been some real fundamental things that have been prevalent from the start - mostly things defensive - that are now finally really starting to cost us...

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Hoping I don't set off a ****-storm in here, I come in peace and will hopefully not leave in pieces.

I wanted to ask you guys about that Coyle hit at the end of the game. To me it looked like a boarding penalty, but didn't get called, and then our FSN crew didn't replay it at all when the game ended. Did you guys get any replays of it? I was hoping to watch it slowed down a bit, or from a different angle. Anyway, if it was boarding like I thought it was, I'm sorry the refs swallowed their whistle. Terrible time for you guys to have a missed call going against you.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
looked like a pretty bad hit to me, and I thought Little looked a bit out of it too right at the end after he got up. I was pretty shocked there wasn't a call there...in fact it sorta felt like play paused for a bit while the players all waited for the whistle!

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
Hoping I don't set off a ****-storm in here, I come in peace and will hopefully not leave in pieces.

I wanted to ask you guys about that Coyle hit at the end of the game. To me it looked like a boarding penalty, but didn't get called, and then our FSN crew didn't replay it at all when the game ended. Did you guys get any replays of it? I was hoping to watch it slowed down a bit, or from a different angle. Anyway, if it was boarding like I thought it was, I'm sorry the refs swallowed their whistle. Terrible time for you guys to have a missed call going against you.

Yeah that was boarding, I think the reffs jusy wanted to get out early. Not that the Jets would have come back if that penalty was called. I hope the league reviews it at least.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I was watching as Little slowly got back to his feet and he's watching the ref who is standing right there and there was about 3 or 4 seconds where he stood there facing the boards then all of a sudden it's like he realizes "damn I guess they aren't gonna call that! I still gotta keep playing here!" lol...

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Boarding? Looked like it, but like you said we got no reply.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I don't even want to think about this team without the leadership of Stuart, Thorburn, Peluso. Just imagine.

Scheifele would probably fall down every time he steps onto a Winnipeg sidewalk in winter. He would probably cry himself to sleep every night, and at some point, it would show in his on-ice performance.
Ehlers would probably play in Switzerland. He can't handle being all alone by himself in North America. He's only 19.
Trouba would probably ask for a trade to Buffalo so he can move in with his only friend.
Kane might even have asked for a trade as early as in the year of 2012. And that could have set us back big time.
Stafford would have never signed here. I mean, this city has really nothing to offer (except for a really bad winter), so why would any UFA sign here?

Sarcasm, I do find it amusing most times. :handclap:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
This game was not on Pavs, just as the Montreal game was not on Hutch. We were giving up odd man rushes and breakaways through our ridiculous system where the d pinch / move up / play up on every play at all costs. There are times when to pinch and when not to. You shouldn't get caught with a forward behind you. You shouldn't pinch when there is no forward within distance to cover. We haven't figured out when not to activate the d, and by now I think that is on the 60% coaches and 40% on the players.

We were outplayed by a far better and balanced team. Our third and forth lines are just not very good. And that is not a system thing, it is a talent and readiness thing. We moved too many rookies (including our KHLer) in to the line up too fast, replacing proven NHLers like Frolik, Stempniak and to a certain extent Tlusty.

This is not an all or nothing thing. That is a false narrative. A youth movement does not have to be four strong. That's a third of the forwards. We could have kept Fro and Stemp and made room for Ehlers and Petan or Copp. Burmi was a bad bet. But if you like Burmi, then maybe Petan and Copp should have spent a year with the Moose. If you really wanted to make room for three, then resign Fro or keep the proven but cheap guy Stemp. Anyway, Chevy made the bed and now we all have to sleep in it. It's a lumpy bed - this year is shaping up to be pretty lumpy.

papasan

Dec 24, 2013
Winnipeg
Sorry guys but I think it's time that PM cleans house and brings in his own coaches. Huddy is the defensive coach and where are they, just getting worse. Flaherty is the goaltending coach and where are they, just getting worse. Clean house Paul before it's too late.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Yeh it was boarding. Was ticked they didn't call it. :shakehead Little took a bit of a run and might have got the elbow up at the very end but as we saw, nothing came of either incident.

Derfel*

Sorry guys but I think it's time that PM cleans house and brings in his own coaches. Huddy is the defensive coach and where are they, just getting worse. Flaherty is the goaltending coach and where are they, just getting worse. Clean house Paul before it's too late.

I tend to agree - sends a message, gets new blood in there with so many young guys, let's Maurice shape the team on the ice even further.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

I believe it is part of the Maurice system to pinch d all the time at all costs. We didn't have this with Huddy under Noel. At that time it was too conservative, and leaving too much gap.

I think it is Maurice that has to pull back on that a bit.

papasan

Dec 24, 2013
Winnipeg
These two coaches have been here for over 5 years and have there been any changes that have helped this team? We only fired the head coach. PM needs new people who recognise when there are bad habits happening on the ice and know how to fix them. The defence has gotten worse and goaltending is no better. That's what the JETS pay these two to do and to me they now need to go.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Ehlers on a bad streak.. Slump. Is he keeping his head up high still or does it show on ice?

Wheeler - im pretty impressed by his production. Topline seems impressive

Lately we have only seen brief glimpses of the flashes from Ehlers to me it looks like the NHL game is catching up with him. He almost looks like a different player from what we saw in his first 6-7 games in the NHL.:(

Burmi and Lowry are playing a line up from where they should be and neither is good enough, they might be okay fourth liners. Team is short a couple of top 9 players and it's obvious, the talent equal to Stemp, Frolik and Tlusty wasn't replaced going into this season. We are now starting to see what Sabre's fans said about Stafford, long extended periods of nothing.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Lately we have only seen brief glimpses of the flashes from Ehlers to me it looks like the NHL game is catching up with him. He almost looks like a different player from what we saw in his first 6-7 games in the NHL.:(

He is a 19 yo rookie trying to find his way. Just about every rookie who ever laced up skates in the NHL is frustratingly inconsistent. My guess is Ehlers will be less so than most due to his speed and high level of talent. That doesn't mean he won't have to adapt as opposing players start paying more attention to him.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
yeah lol, Ehlers is the least of my concerns. Even last night he still looked pretty good at times.

Afaic, whatever this "pinching D" thing is that it seems they are trying to incorporate, it's failing badly and needs to be re-examined poste haste. I'm not really sure why that notion has even become a thing this year. I mean we've got an influx of young rookies coming in at forward so what do we do? Oh, let's forego some defensive consciousness and go all in on offence and rely on those young guys to get it done!

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
yeah lol, Ehlers is the least of my concerns. Even last night he still looked pretty good at times.

Afaic, whatever this "pinching D" thing is that it seems they are trying to incorporate, it's failing badly and needs to be re-examined poste haste. I'm not really sure why that notion has even become a thing this year. I mean we've got an influx of young rookies coming in at forward so what do we do? Oh, let's forego some defensive consciousness and go all in on offence and rely on those young guys to get it done!

Postma shooting the puck and Stu going deep into the offensive zone was a bit surreal last night, but of course Stu has always been known to do bizarre things at times on the ice with the result 90% of the time, being to the detriment of the Jets with a goal in the back of our net!

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Ehlers isn't on a bad streak. He is still adjusting to the league.

He had more room early in the season as he was new to the league. Now, teams know abut his speed, quickness and shiftiness and have adjusted. He's not the only fast and quick guy in the league and teams are playing him a bit better.

He will be fine. He just cannot expect the ice that he had early in the year.

The ones that aren't showing any impact at all are Burmi and the other rookies. We are in for a bumpy ride with the rookie heavy lineup that Chevy put together this year.

Too bad. Chevy had assembled a quality team. I can't for the life of me understand why he was so quick to abandon it in the summer of nothin'.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Follow
Michael Russo ✔@Russostrib
Gabriel played 1 shift after the fight. Yeo said he was just shortening the bench. Haula praised Gabriel for fight, which sparked things
11:30 AM - 11 Nov 2015
7 7 Retweets 51 51 likes

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Ehlers isn't on a bad streak. He is still adjusting to the league.

He had more room early in the season as he was new to the league. Now, teams know abut his speed, quickness and shiftiness and have adjusted. He's not the only fast and quick guy in the league and teams are playing him a bit better.

He will be fine. He just cannot expect the ice that he had early in the year.

The ones that aren't showing any impact at all are Burmi and the other rookies. We are in for a bumpy ride with the rookie heavy lineup that Chevy put together this year.

Too bad. Chevy had assembled a quality team. I can't for the life of me understand why he was so quick to abandon it in the summer of nothin'.

Goal scoring again seems to be a problem for the Jets and a lack of goal scorers! Aside from the Leaf's win the Jets haven't scored more than 3 goals in a game since Oct. 25th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad