Flyers' History: Nostalgia Thread

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
There were a couple off seasons besides Cujo where there were some opportunities for signings or trades and the Flyers didn't do anything.
They had the money to spend. They could have blown everyone out of the water. It was really frustrating.

I took a look Dallas signed guys like Pat Verbeek and Belfour. Roenick was traded by Chicago. Phil Housley, Gretsky, Messier were free agents.
Dallas stole Zubov from Pittsburgh,

Some teams were making smart moves and the Flyers did jack.

our big move was signing Luke Richardson.
I think the Flyers did make a decent pitch for Messier but Messier wanted to be in NY......I can't recall the details and what might have tipped the balance in our favor. Stupid NY went and won a cup with him and for years the Rangers lead by Messier were such a pain in the Flyers side until Lindros and the Flyers ousted the Rangers that year we went to the finals. The torch we thought had indeed been passed....instead we got torched by Detroit in a sweep.

jghockey

Aug 14, 2018
I think the Flyers did make a decent pitch for Messier but Messier wanted to be in NY......I can't recall the details and what might have tipped the balance in our favor. Stupid NY went and won a cup with him and for years the Rangers lead by Messier were such a pain in the Flyers side until Lindros and the Flyers ousted the Rangers that year we went to the finals. The torch we thought had indeed been passed....instead we got torched by Detroit in a sweep.

Messier was never going to sign with the Flyers in '97. Since the Rangers weren't going to re-sign him, he wanted to play in the West so that he would play the Rangers only once or twice per season as opposed to 4-5 times. Gretzky, however, could have been signed had the Flyers made pitch for him.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Messier was never going to sign with the Flyers in '97. Since the Rangers weren't going to re-sign him, he wanted to play in the West so that he would play the Rangers only once or twice per season as opposed to 4-5 times. Gretzky, however, could have been signed had the Flyers made pitch for him.
I'm actually referring to 91......when he first signed with the Rangers. Flyers I'm pretty sure explored getting him....I remember the noise but not sure how much effort they put into it.

jghockey

Aug 14, 2018
I'm actually referring to 91......when he first signed with the Rangers. Flyers I'm pretty sure explored getting him....I remember the noise but not sure how much effort they put into it.

What were the Flyers offering for Messier?

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
What were the Flyers offering for Messier?
I can't recall other than a decent amount of cash....

Speaking of which....remember that Gratton cash giveaway by Clarke.....it was like Publisher's Clearinghouse...

We got Lindros the following year though..can't imagine Messier playing with Lindros on the Flyers and def NOT on the Rangers. That haul that the Rangers offered was amazing.....probably better than the Flyers if not for Forsberg. No wonder Aubet tried to backpeddle but it worked in his favor ultimately. Got Chris Simon bc we botched the draft with sucky Sittler....

Last edited:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Hopefully none. That Mr. Clean-looking pile of **** can **** off for eternity.
My aunt referred to him as "electric chair" man in Italian because his helmet looked like that of a criminal sitting in an electric chair. It is funny hearing it in Italian....sedia electrica...lol

She was a Rangers fan though along with my cousins bc they were from NY.....when they won the cup they rubbed it in and called me. It was very insulting...needless to say not a fan of that side of the family.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Clarke still made some good moves though:
1) trading Mark Recchi for John LeClair and Eric Desjardins
2) trading Eric Lindros for Jan Hlavac and Kim Johnsson
3) signing Jeremy Roenick and Eric Weinrich
4) signing John Vanbiesbrouck (although CUJO and Mike Richter were better options).
5) acquiring Alex Zhamnov, Sami Kapanen, and Vladimir Malakhov
6) hiring Mike Keenan, Terry Murray, and Ken Hitchcock
7) reacquiring Mark Recchi in 1999.
8) trading Mikael Renberg for Rick Tocchet.
9) acquiring Keith Jones and Adam Burt.
10) drafting Simon Gagne.

clarke was the worst gm in flyers history, 'and it can be said his poor management cost this team a real chance to win the cup. Keith Allen on the other hand was one of the greatest gm's and his absence hit us extremely hard.

Reactions: Normand Lacombe

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018

im talking about leaving the Rangers to Vancouver.

Reactions: jghockey

jghockey

Aug 14, 2018
im talking about leaving the Rangers to Vancouver.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
That Flyers draft where they took Sittler and Bowen in the first round really hurt. They also took Denis Metlyuk in the second.

If instead they had taken, say, Sergei Gonchar or Martin Straka or Michael Peca with those picks, they could have netted a couple of Cups. To his credit, Bowen was about the only guy on the Flyers who would go after players who took shots at Lindros.

Clarke wasn't around for this draft, and I think I'd rank him above Russ Farwell overall.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Just watched 2010 playoff highlights. Surprisingly not a single goal from high to low plays. Now we obviously see where they failed. Only if lavi has studied the tape.:sarcasm:

Reactions: Jtown

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
That Flyers draft where they took Sittler and Bowen in the first round really hurt. They also took Denis Metlyuk in the second.

If instead they had taken, say, Sergei Gonchar or Martin Straka or Michael Peca with those picks, they could have netted a couple of Cups. To his credit, Bowen was about the only guy on the Flyers who would go after players who took shots at Lindros.

Clarke wasn't around for this draft, and I think I'd rank him above Russ Farwell overall.
They were not really prepared to draft.....they thought they had a deal. It was a big setback....indeed.

Reactions: renberg

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey

The Flyers thought they had a deal where their two picks would have been moved where as if you remember Sittler was considered the one "can't miss pick" by experts. The kid just could not skate.Farwell was a poor GM and Bobby hated being behind a desk period.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The Flyers thought they had a deal where their two picks would have been moved where as if you remember Sittler was considered the one "can't miss pick" by experts. The kid just could not skate.Farwell was a poor GM and Bobby hated being behind a desk period.

what was the proposed deal?

jghockey

Aug 14, 2018

I do give Farwell credit for drafting Mikael Renberg, Chris Therien, and Janne Niinimaa though.

Reactions: renberg and Jtown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad