Flyers' History: Nostalgia Thread

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
To get Hasek from Chicago, not much. Buffalo gave up G Stephane Beuregard and a 4th for Hasek in 1992. We could have easily topped the garbage the Sabres gave up.

There were rumors in late 1997 about a possible Hasek for Brind'Amour swap. Remember reading the Hockey News speculating about it more than once. Eskin went on Channel 10 and announced his "sources" informed him the Hasek-Brind'Amour trade was imminent. Either Clarke did not want to give up Brind'Amour or the rumors never had merit.

There's alot what if's from that era.

They could have had a team centered around Lindros, Jagr, Hasek.......... if their had been clever GMing.

jghockey

Aug 14, 2018
What if they got Joseph instead of JVB back in 98 or 99

I do remember that we had other holes to fill besides goaltending. Had we filled those other holes, we might have won the Stanley Cup with Vanbiesbrouck. But getting Joseph or Richter would have been nice.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
Quebec/Colorado could have had Mats Sundin to go along with Forsberg & Sakic but they traded him essentially for Wendel Clark.

Amazing they had so many assets to overcome that trade. Essentially, they threw Sundin into the trash can.
They were picking either 1st or near first for several seasons in a row.

Sakic
Sundin
Owen Nolan
Lindros

all in a row

I could be missing someone too

jghockey

Aug 14, 2018
Langkow, one of Delmore/Eaton, pick(s), and depending on who tells the story, with/without Sandy McCarthy was a done deal before Sinden backed out. That was what Sinden basically wanted.

Gagne was never seriously discussed.

Didn't the Bruins want Oullet too?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What were the Bruins asking from us for Bourque?

According to Jay Greenberg: Daymond Langkow, a first round pick, a choice between Andy Delmore or Mark Eaton, & Sandy McCarthy.

They wanted Gagne apart of the deal but the Flyers wouldn’t entertain that. The feeling was that it was going to be Bourque’s last year in the league so no one was offering up a trade chip as valuable as Gagne was at that time. New Jersey didn’t & obviously Colorado didn’t either.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
When Roy was imploding in Montreal and threw that hissy fit that got him put on the trading block...…..I specifically recall Clarke being asked if he would make an attempt to get him and with typical GM Clarke arrogance and making things always personal (McCrimmon, Lindros etc.) he basically characterized him as washed up and an attitude problem and didn't want him. The rest is history of course…..

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

They were interested in him, yes. I don’t think it ever came out exactly how far along in the process he was involved.

I can tell you that the locker room had the same version from Jay Greenberg LoD posted above. That’s not an after the fact PR spin.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

jghockey

Aug 14, 2018
According to Jay Greenberg: Daymond Langkow, a first round pick, a choice between Andy Delmore or Mark Eaton, & Sandy McCarthy.

They wanted Gagne apart of the deal but the Flyers wouldn’t entertain that. The feeling was that it was going to be Bourque’s last year in the league so no one was offering up a trade chip as valuable as Gagne was at that time. New Jersey didn’t & obviously Colorado didn’t either.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
What if they got Joseph instead of JVB back in 98 or 99
Joseph they could have made a pitch for......Richter was probably using the Flyers as leverage although we don't know that for certain. If I ever see the guy in person one day (Flourtown) ...I'm going to ask him if the Flyers were ever in the picture that year he was available. The sad thing is that Clark wanted a 3 for 1 deal.....he got Beezer cheaper and then went and spent what he could have given Richter or Cujo on Sandy McCarthy and some other nondescript player I can't recall...….

jghockey

Aug 14, 2018
Richter was probably using the Flyers as leverage although we don't know that for certain. If I ever see the guy in person one day (Flourtown) ...I'm going to ask him if the Flyers were ever in the picture that year he was available.

True. Although, Richter did say that had the Rangers signed another goalie, he would have signed with Philadelphia.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
True. Although, Richter did say that had the Rangers signed another goalie, he would have signed with Philadelphia.
Rangers weren't going to let Richter go although I kind of seem to remember some talk about them actually possibly opting for Cujo…..

Either way we got boned.....

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Colorado offered up Brian Rolston in the deal & that was probably the difference. He was little older & more proven than Langkow at that time. Sami Pahlsson was a prospect in that deal playing in Sweden at the time. He only played 17 games with Boston the following season & was shortly traded to Anaheim. The other two pieces in the deal didn’t amount to anything.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
When Roy was imploding in Montreal and threw that hissy fit that got him put on the trading block...…..I specifically recall Clarke being asked if he would make an attempt to get him and with typical GM Clarke arrogance and making things always personal (McCrimmon, Lindros etc.) he basically characterized him as washed up and an attitude problem and didn't want him. The rest is history of course…..

one of Clarke's fatal flaws as GM. I remember reading nasty comments about Mcrimmon.

The Mcrimmon trade started the downfall of that team.

Reactions: Normand Lacombe

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Ray "Monchichi" Bourque....would have been nice to have.

0d34030bb6423a518383e18025382160.jpg

Of course we later got Hall of Famers with injuries like Hawerchuk with his hip and Forsberg with that foot issue.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
one of Clarke's fatal flaws as GM. I remember reading nasty comments about Mcrimmon.

The Mcrimmon trade started the downfall of that team.
He admitted later on he handled that poorly......of course he did the same with Lindros. Way to manage an asset....trash him in public with the media. Clarke was great player......as a GM...not so much. Him and Hitch still have that stain on their record (the season that shall not be named).

jghockey

Aug 14, 2018
He admitted later on he handled that poorly......of course he did the same with Lindros. Way to manage an asset....trash him in public with the media. Clarke was great player......as a GM...not so much. Him and Hitch still have that stain on their record (the season that shall not be named).

To be fair to Clarke, Lindros and his parents did bring a lot on themselves.

jghockey

Aug 14, 2018
Rangers weren't going to let Richter go although I kind of seem to remember some talk about them actually possibly opting for Cujo…..

Either way we got boned.....

After talks with Richter broke down, the Rangers turned to CUJO. The Rangers and CUJO were actually a whisker away from making the deal official but MSG management shot it down. Richter, meanwhile, agreed to a contract with the Panthers and was about to board a flight to Florida for a press conference with the Panthers. The rest is history.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
To be fair to Clarke, Lindros and his parents did bring a lot on themselves.

I don't know if there's anyone from the old AOL boards,

But back during that time, those boards were as crazy as I ever saw.
The board was divided between pro Lindros and pro Clarke.
I was pro Lindros

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad