Flyers' History: Nostalgia Thread

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I also picked up this scorecard and team photo from a 92-93 game at a local card shop a few years ago, just to have it. Obviously didn't go to the game because it was five years before I was born. I unfortunately didn't take the greatest care of it and it's bent now.
20181205_071613.jpg

20181205_071633.jpg

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
This is one game in a point in time, 1989-90 season, the first of what would be five straight with no playoffs but just a few months removed from making the 1989 Conference Finals. What stood out at the time was not so much who played but who didn't. Ron Hextall, Tim Kerr, Rick Tocchet, Dave Poulin, Derrick Smith, Scott Mellanby, Ron Sutter, and others. That was a prelude for things to come.

Winnipeg won the game 1-0 in OT.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
This is one game in a point in time, 1989-90 season, the first of what would be five straight with no playoffs but just a few months removed from making the 1989 Conference Finals. What stood out at the time was not so much who played but who didn't. Ron Hextall, Tim Kerr, Rick Tocchet, Dave Poulin, Derrick Smith, Scott Mellanby, Ron Sutter, and others. That was a prelude for things to come.

Winnipeg won the game 1-0 in OT.

People wonder why I am lukewarm about Lindros sometimes. That late 80s team that I loved more than any team ever (equal to the 1980 USA Olympic team) was blown to pieces and I am sitting there just like ... "Mike ****ing Bullard? Seriously?" And then we go draft Ricci, the "next Bobby Clarke" (credit: THN), and I'm buzzing. Here's somebody I can get behind. Then he's bounced out too. I was 100% as emotional as anyone else about the team during the 90s, but it wasn't the same.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I'd like to partake in some PHILADELPHIA Phantoms nostalgia, if I may.

The Phantoms had a season ticket design contest every year and I entered a couple times. I didn't get picked the first time, but my design was chosen the second time. I got a copy of the ticket, free tickets to the game where my design was used, and I got to ride the Zamboni during the intermission. I was ten at the time and it was the coolest thing in the world. I still have the ticket.
20181205_145009.jpg

I looked at the boxscore more recently and it turns out that was one of Claude Giroux's first games as a pro. Of course, I was in elementary school so I didn't follow the draft or have any idea who Giroux was at the time.

From every year between 05/06 until they moved, we'd go to one Phantoms game at the Spectrum each year. They were fun experiences that will obviously never be possible again. I haven't made it to Allentown for a game yet but I'd love to someday. But I feel like the Bears-Phantoms rivalry hasn't been the same since they left for NY. Those games used to get nasty and intense and the teams didn't like each other. Now it's just like any other game.

Side note, I remember my brother used to DESPISE Jon Sim because he'd torch the Bears every time he and the Phantoms played them, and Niitty would stonewall us every time :laugh:

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I've seen the old dudes on the History of Hockey board liken Parent's peak to Hasek's.

.932 is amazing now. It's downright incredible in the standup era.

Yep and I have to admit I wasn't aware of just how it stacked up as far as peak went until I started reading HoH many years ago. He was fantastic in 74-75 as well, but that 73-74 season is the highest GSAA we know of by an absolutely ridiculous margin. Imagine being Esposito in 73-74.

Umjoc48.jpg

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
You spelled it right there, but they got it wrong on the sheet :laugh:
I typed it how it's spelled on the sheet- it even shows up that way when I click edit- but it's showing up on the post itself as "Sabres" :dunno:

Edit: Even in this post. I tried spelling it out like it is on the sheet, but it automatically changed it to "Sabres." Decided to just edit the original post that you quoted

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I typed it how it's spelled on the sheet- it even shows up that way when I click edit- but it's showing up on the post itself as "Sabres" :dunno:

Edit: Even in this post. I tried spelling it out like it is on the sheet, but it automatically changed it to "Sabres." Decided to just edit the original post that you quoted

Do you think this is Mark Zuckerberg controlling us all? Mark, if you are in there somewhere, I thought your guy Army Hammer was a terribad Lone Ranger, so I don't blame you for stealing Facebook from him and his twin brother.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
People wonder why I am lukewarm about Lindros sometimes. That late 80s team that I loved more than any team ever (equal to the 1980 USA Olympic team) was blown to pieces and I am sitting there just like ... "Mike ****ing Bullard? Seriously?" And then we go draft Ricci, the "next Bobby Clarke" (credit: THN), and I'm buzzing. Here's somebody I can get behind. Then he's bounced out too. I was 100% as emotional as anyone else about the team during the 90s, but it wasn't the same.
The real kicker of it all is that Bob Clarke had gone to Europe to scout Jagr & called him “the best player in the draft.” So if Jay Snider hadn’t been a little twerp the Flyers would have drafted Jagr.

Reactions: Devonator

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Dude....in those years they didn't make the playoffs...I watched every single game...every single minute. It still doesn't feel as torturous as Hak hockey although hoping players like Mark Pederson would "break out" offensively was pretty bad. Those were desperate times. Jay Wells btw was an awesome open ice hitter.....

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

Ken Linseman also had the "next Bobby Clarke" tag. And he wasn't the only one. Lindros' trade was designed to win a Cup; to carry the baton after Gretzky and Lemieux. And it almost happened. We know the history. But people tend to overlook or forget that the trade was made with Quebec and not Colorado and under no condition does Montreal trade Patrick Roy to the Nordiques. If the franchise didn't relocate and/or Roy doesn't go to the team, then maybe the Nordiques/Avalanche don't win a Cup and the Lindros trade isn't viewed as critically as some reviews. Of course, that is one of many ifs and variables and we can all rewrite history with ifs.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Ken Linseman also had the "next Bobby Clarke" tag. And he wasn't the only one. Lindros' trade was designed to win a Cup; to carry the baton after Gretzky and Lemieux. And it almost happened. We know the history. But people tend to overlook or forget that the trade was made with Quebec and not Colorado and under no condition does Montreal trade Patrick Roy to the Nordiques. If the franchise didn't relocate and/or Roy doesn't go to the team, then maybe the Nordiques/Avalanche don't win a Cup and the Lindros trade isn't viewed as critically as some reviews. Of course, that is one of many ifs and variables and we can all rewrite history with ifs.

The Flyers best chance to win the Cup during the Lindros era was in 1995. Teams were once again afraid to play us after we acquired LeClair and Desjardins. After five long years, the Flyers rolled into the playoffs where they brushed aside Buffalo in 5 and swept the Rags. The Flyers were the hottest team in the playoffs.

Next comes the infamous New Jersey series. Flyers seize the momentum after winning two in Jersey to tie the series heading into game 5 at the Spectrum. With game 5 tied with 40 seconds left, Claude Lemeiux scores from the neutral zone on Hextall. Talk about a deflating, soul crushing goal. If that shot is stopped, I still believe we win that series and we win the Cup against an overconfident Detroit team. I still haven't really forgiven Hextall for that goal.

Last edited:

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The Flyers couldn’t handle the Red Wings, it would have been slaughter.

I loved the 80s teams too and I get what Capt is saying about the 1990s teams. They lacked the heart and intensity that the 80s crew had even though they probably had more talent. Or maybe it was just Mike Keenan. The Lindros Flyers were, for lack of a better phrase, bullies. If they could run all over you and wear you down, great. If the other team stood up to them and popped them in the nose, they’d cower and never figure out how to adjust.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

I don't begrudge them the trade on an intellectual level - it was a valiant, gutsy effort to change our fortunes, and it did change our fortunes. Emotionally, though, I just couldn't handle losing Ricci. I mean, I handled it fine lol - I just didn't like it. It soured me on Lindros, though of course it wasn't his fault at all. I always got over it when he came to St. Louis to play and I got to watch him live - it was just the most amazing thing ever watching him play. I think this has a lot to do with my feelings toward him, too - had I been able to watch him live all the time like you guys, I probably would have had more consistent hero worship for him.

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
I don't begrudge them the trade on an intellectual level - it was a valiant, gutsy effort to change our fortunes, and it did change our fortunes. Emotionally, though, I just couldn't handle losing Ricci. I mean, I handled it fine lol - I just didn't like it. It soured me on Lindros, though of course it wasn't his fault at all. I always got over it when he came to St. Louis to play and I got to watch him live - it was just the most amazing thing ever watching him play. I think this has a lot to do with my feelings toward him, too - had I been able to watch him live all the time like you guys, I probably would have had more consistent hero worship for him.
I asked for and got a Ricci jersey in his rookie year. I was looking forward to a long career in a Flyers uniform.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad