North Bay Battalion 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Maggio is an ‘02, cannot be traded.
Porco & take on import/OA Michnac? - likely have to throw something in with Brazeau

MartyHuggins

Mar 17, 2015
Anyone who thinks Brazeau is going to fetch a king's ransom, check out the Hancock trade. A 2001 D Man and a 3rd round pick.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
JB not going anywhere. NB has to make playoffs.

I agree. I doubt Butler trades him. I don’t think the offers/market dictate a reasonable return for him.

As mentioned, Ottawa is maybe the best situation and you will only get draft Picks from Ottawa.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Maggio is an ‘02, cannot be traded.
Porco & take on import/OA Michnac? - likely have to throw something in with Brazeau
Maggio was a fifth rounder though. I thought that rule only protected first rounders.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
This is a little late to the party in view of all the trade stuff, but here are some random observations/questions from Thursday vs. OSH.:

A little while ago the team was dressing 8 D-men in a game, now down to 5 with the top 4 playing 90% of the game. Any idea of the status of 7/29? I thought PS5 was okay enough in possibly his highest minute total of the season.

Brandon Coe might have played his best game with the team. If he (and several others) took available shots instead of trying trick passes into traffic he might have had more.

I find the usage of 4F/1D on PP by Coach to be quite refreshing. But I am a more than a bit mystified at using JB17 on the point instead of near the net. I think Luke Burghardt is the ideal forward for the blueline.

CP33 was stellar between the pipes.

After a season high (or almost) 2900+ Mon. NYE aft., the 700 drop-off to last night was deflating. On a non-school night, 6 trying for 7 game win streak, driving to make the playoffs with the league’s top point getter vs. a quality opponent added up to 2280. Predictable, I guess, but sad nonetheless.

Post-game radio dismissed the “strength of schedule” rationale which some have used to explain the 7 gamer. He basically said you play the hand dealt to you and it is not the Battalion’s fault if other teams don’t ice a full lineup. This is essentially true, but you also can’t ignore reality. 5-2/5-3 wins vs. SUD quite possibly turn into 2-1/3-2 losses if UPL is in net for Wolves. A 1 goal win vs. OSH might have been somewhat different if their 4 tournament players were in the lineup. And 2 vs. BAR was the result of 2 bottom feeders against each other, could have been split or 2-0 either way. Of course we’ll never know, but this must weigh in on the GM’s decision re: you know who. Now with Kevin Hancock traded and maybe their 2 tournament players still unavailable, there might be a chance in OS.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
I agree. I doubt Butler trades him. I don’t think the offers/market dictate a reasonable return for him.

As mentioned, Ottawa is maybe the best situation and you will only get draft Picks from Ottawa.
Butlers draft history is god awful , so more picks would not be the best answer .

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Anyone who thinks Brazeau is going to fetch a king's ransom, check out the Hancock trade. A 2001 D Man and a 3rd round pick.
Aaron Luchuk--last season's points leader--was traded last season for Curtis Douglas, a 6'8 2000-born 4th round pick, two 2nds and a 3rd.

Butlers draft history is god awful , so more picks would not be the best answer .
But his trade history tends to be rather strong. He managed to turn Brett McKenzie into Matthew Struthers, a 2nd and a 14th last season.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Aaron Luchuk--last season's points leader--was traded last season for Curtis Douglas, a 6'8 2000-born 4th round pick, two 2nds and a 3rd.

But his trade history tends to be rather strong. He managed to turn Brett McKenzie into Matthew Struthers, a 2nd and a 14th last season.

Neither side can cherry pick examples. Yes, Luchuk trade involved a decent player. But, not many other ones ever have. Just because it happened once doesn’t mean it will 100% happen now. Heck, it doesn’t even mean it will 50% happen. The overwhelming number of trades involving OA’s are picks only deals.

Even the Hancock deal was a one off of sorts because Perrott requested a trade so he was used as a trade chip to get a player AND accommodate a trade request.

Again, I am not saying Brazeau won’t garner a player and picks. But, I am saying it isn’t a certainty based on many previous OA trades made over the last five seasons.

That said, just because there is no player traded it doesn’t mean the value is crap. If you got a player and a 3rd like Owen Sound received, great. If you got two 2nds and a 3rd, you can flip the two 2nds at the beginning of next year for the same type of player from a team that is over abundant at a particular position. It happens all the time.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Neither side can cherry pick examples. Yes, Luchuk trade involved a decent player. But, not many other ones ever have. Just because it happened once doesn’t mean it will 100% happen now. Heck, it doesn’t even mean it will 50% happen. The overwhelming number of trades involving OA’s are picks only deals.

Even the Hancock deal was a one off of sorts because Perrott requested a trade so he was used as a trade chip to get a player AND accommodate a trade request.

Again, I am not saying Brazeau won’t garner a player and picks. But, I am saying it isn’t a certainty based on many previous OA trades made over the last five seasons.

That said, just because there is no player traded it doesn’t mean the value is crap. If you got a player and a 3rd like Owen Sound received, great. If you got two 2nds and a 3rd, you can flip the two 2nds at the beginning of next year for the same type of player from a team that is over abundant at a particular position. It happens all the time.
Of course. Just pointing out how these trades can go in either direction.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Of course. Just pointing out how these trades can go in either direction.

For sure. PErsonally, as much as I would like to see Brazeau in an Ottawa uniform, I hope he stays in North Bay. Sometimes guys should finish where they start and he is having such a great year. It would be a shame for North Bay fans to lose him.

I know how the league works but sometimes it is jsut right to keep a player even if it goes against the grain.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
For sure. PErsonally, as much as I would like to see Brazeau in an Ottawa uniform, I hope he stays in North Bay. Sometimes guys should finish where they start and he is having such a great year. It would be a shame for North Bay fans to lose him.

I know how the league works but sometimes it is jsut right to keep a player even if it goes against the grain.
I agree. It was nice to see Amadio hit fifty here in his last season, but personally, I've been bullish on Brazeau since his rookie season on here. I always thought he had the tools to be one of the league's most dominant forwards and he's improved his game in every single facet each season to get there. I think it'd be good for him--and his wallet--to go get some big time exposure on a roster that has a chance to be on the big stage come April. This is a kid who deserves a nice NHL signing bonus on July 1st.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree. It was nice to see Amadio hit fifty here in his last season, but personally, I've been bullish on Brazeau since his rookie season on here. I always thought he had the tools to be one of the league's most dominant forwards and he's improved his game in every single facet each season to get there. I think it'd be good for him--and his wallet--to go get some big time exposure on a roster that has a chance to be on the big stage come April. This is a kid who deserves a nice NHL signing bonus on July 1st.

Good point. That exposure would at least get him an NHL contract to play in the AHL you would think.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
10th place kingston unloading players
9th place barrie unloading players
8th place hamilton unloading players
6th place mississauga unloading players

7th place battalion continue to Stan(d) pat!

Reactions: dirty12

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
10th place kingston unloading players
9th place barrie unloading players
8th place hamilton unloading players
6th place mississauga unloading players

7th place battalion continue to Stan(d) pat!
Aside from the heart and soul of our yeam, who do you unload without hurting our team next season?

We've already aquired our new young players in return mostly for picks. We are indeed loading but for next season and beyond.

Also our unloading is done already:
Forhan
Potts
Baker
Just nobody wanted them lol

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Aside from the heart and soul of our yeam, who do you unload without hurting our team next season?

Brazeau, Burghardt, Calvas, Propp, Walker....

Guelph just added 2 Team Canada players (entwistle & phillips) by trading 11 draft picks. But only 3 of the 11 were their own.

Take a player and picks then use those picks as assets next year to add a top player.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Just reading the other teams threads and no mention of Brazeau, which leads me to believe JB17 is off the table!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad