North Bay Battalion 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Just got around to having a look at the NB/GUE replay, here are some odds and ends:

Was anyone else surprised at the result? I thought chances of a victory going in were minimal at best.

CP33 was stellar and the difference. It appears he is finding his way back, but the GAA is still almost a full goal above last year. If a team is routinely outshot by a 2:1 margin, what are the odds of long term success?

Still no 7 / 29 in the lineup as has been the case for a week now. I guess the team generally doesn’t release personnel information. Cam Peters started out LW on 4th line, by mid-game (I think) the position was taken by either Primeau or Struthers. Injury or benching for CP23?

Pacey Schlueting continues to progress as his minutes gradually increase. I don’t think going with 5D indefinitely will be a good idea, but might end up being beneficial.

Looks like JB17 and friends on 1st line have hit a bit of a speed bump in the last 3. Nice to see 2nd line and others contributing. Don’t know if you want to mess with other lines, but Caines as LW on the 1st doesn’t appear to be a good fit.

How strong are the trade winds for the Troops?

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Just got around to having a look at the NB/GUE replay, here are some odds and ends:

Was anyone else surprised at the result? I thought chances of a victory going in were minimal at best.

CP33 was stellar and the difference. It appears he is finding his way back, but the GAA is still almost a full goal above last year. If a team is routinely outshot by a 2:1 margin, what are the odds of long term success?

Still no 7 / 29 in the lineup as has been the case for a week now. I guess the team generally doesn’t release personnel information. Cam Peters started out LW on 4th line, by mid-game (I think) the position was taken by either Primeau or Struthers. Injury or benching for CP23?

Pacey Schlueting continues to progress as his minutes gradually increase. I don’t think going with 5D indefinitely will be a good idea, but might end up being beneficial.

Looks like JB17 and friends on 1st line have hit a bit of a speed bump in the last 3. Nice to see 2nd line and others contributing. Don’t know if you want to mess with other lines, but Caines as LW on the 1st doesn’t appear to be a good fit.

How strong are the trade winds for the Troops?

It’s unfortunate for Caines because he has looked real good in previous games but I agree that he doesn’t appear to be a fit on the first line. I’m glad they gave him more than one game though! They should sample peters next:) swap caines and him for a bit possibly.

Reactions: View from section 9

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
I think we should add a veteran D on the cheap just for depth. What is Mailhot's status anyway?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Which contenders still need OAs?

Ottawa is one. They're pretty set on RW though, unless the player coming back is Jack Quinn.

I'm wondering if Brazeau and Struthers could be packaged together to grab a pair of quality '01s. That would be a ridiculous add for a team gunning for a championship. It's essentially an outscoring line regardless of who you play them against. Struthers is likely an OA returnee to boot, so the team could recoup some of the lost assets.

If you could grab Quinn, Peric and picks for those two, do you do it?

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017

Ottawa is one. They're pretty set on RW though, unless the player coming back is Jack Quinn.

I'm wondering if Brazeau and Struthers could be packaged together to grab a pair of quality '01s. That would be a ridiculous add for a team gunning for a championship. It's essentially an outscoring line regardless of who you play them against. Struthers is likely an OA returnee to boot, so the team could recoup some of the lost assets.

Meh, if we could return a pair of quality 01's/01 02 combo id be ok with it, would need to see the deal. I imagine it would be a fairly big deal.. small odds of happening ofc

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015

Jack Quinn not going anywhere for anybody. He'll be Ottawa's #1 RW next season and he's a Valley kid and has a NTC. 3 strikes.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
Pretty likely. A good playoff run and some exposure on a potential Mem Cup team could do wonders for the likelihood of that happening.
I see him getting one regardless 6’6 with hands like that someone’s bound to throw him a line, Honestly suprises me that it hasn’t already happened but then again I’m not a scout

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I detected some sarcasm in dirty's comment.

tongue in cheek, for sure. Serious question though, Butler rarely accepts picks only for his best players; so, what does it take to acquire Struthers & Brazeau which is equivalent to Keating & Felhaber?

Reactions: BarberPole9

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
I see him getting one regardless 6’6 with hands like that someone’s bound to throw him a line, Honestly suprises me that it hasn’t already happened but then again I’m not a scout
Which brings up the question " Why has he not got one yet ?" There must be something in his game (skating?) that the pro scouts don't like. If I had to throw a dart it would be that while he can score at will in the OHL , maybe they see him not getting to pucks , or having the puck to score at the NHL level. There has been some real good OHL players that sign a Entry level deal only to die in the East Coast League.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
tongue in cheek, for sure. Serious question though, Butler rarely accepts picks only for his best players; so, what does it take to acquire Struthers & Brazeau which is equivalent to Keating & Felhaber?

I can't see them trading Struthers, as he will be an absolute force next year when NB should be one of the top teams in the conference.

For Brazeau, with the few buyers out there they would be getting the best OA return to date this year by getting 2 x 2nds and 2 x 3rds. Quite honestly, if it was Ottawa who was selling I would be happy to get four high picks for a great player who won't be back next year.

Reactions: Uncle

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Ohl insider saying that we may add a defenceman and probably keep Braz......... sigh

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Unless 7 & 29 magically re-appear, looks like a D-man will be required regardless of the Braz situation. Going indefinitely with only 5 is probably not a good idea, whether or not the team is trying for the playoffs.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Which brings up the question " Why has he not got one yet ?" There must be something in his game (skating?) that the pro scouts don't like. If I had to throw a dart it would be that while he can score at will in the OHL , maybe they see him not getting to pucks , or having the puck to score at the NHL level. There has been some real good OHL players that sign a Entry level deal only to die in the East Coast League.

It's not just Brazeau, why doesn't Felhaber in ottawa (44 goals) or Hancock in london (64 pts) have nhl contract? Teams not signing 21 yr olds?? Only offering free agent tryouts?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Guessing we probably add Malik from Sudbury if they decide to upgrade their import.

Last edited:

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
From the non-news dept., today's afternoon workout was re-scheduled from 2:30-4:30 to 1:00-3:00. Things were pretty well wrapped up at 2:45 when I arrived, but some forwards were wearing black defence jerseys. I presume all of this is to keep nosy people like me from snooping around. One person did confirm Braz was on ice. GM's office was dark.

All of this strikes me as a CNN news spot, i.e.: a weak attempt at serious reporting of exactly nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad