North Bay Battalion 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Was it just me or does JB17 look totally gassed?? Shadow of a player he was before christmas. Injury??

Thought 22/28/27 line put in a great effort. #7...not so good.

How about the puck movement on the Soo PP? Had our guys spinning in circles.

Great effort thru 60+ minutes for the win.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Any scout watching last night who likes having a job would not recommend JB17 to their GM for a contract. Too up and down IMO. Our last OA to get a contract was BG23 and he was the leader of our team night in and night out which earned him that contract.

Agree. After watching last nights Soo game, you would be hard pressed to make a case for an EL contract. Hope he can score a couple of flukes to get to 50. Maybe the pressure is getting to him. I only remember 1 legit scoring chance all game

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Agree. After watching last nights Soo game, you would be hard pressed to make a case for an EL contract. Hope he can score a couple of flukes to get to 50. Maybe the pressure is getting to him. I only remember 1 legit scoring chance all game
And Struthers isn't too far behind. Awfully soft for a 6'4" power forward, not to mention his snail-like skating ability. He will get a FA training camp invite but that's it.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Finally getting around to throwing out some random observations re: vs. SSM.

There are lots of good points above, from 17 appearing to struggle to great 3rd line contribution and others.

From the Draft and Develop files: 1) something I had heard previously and TV commentators verified – Greyhounds have 2 players on roster from other organizations (Peca and Sambrook, I believe). By comparison, Battalion have 10. 2) Battalion selected PS5 1st round, 9th overall, play him 3-5 min/game, occasionally LW 4th line, occasionally with Malik, etc., etc., he has 0G, 3A = 3. Hounds selected Ryan O’Rourke 1st round, 20th overall. He plays a semi-regular shift, seems to be paired with a variety of partners, spent quality time with Sambrook and Mac Hollowell (outstanding coaching here), had a short stint on PK, has 7G, 12A = 19.

It’s easy to see why SSM is at or near the top, they have an elite team with outstanding team speed, skating, passing and puck possession. Having said that, full marks to Troops for staying with them and grinding out the win. It could easily have gone the other way with a couple of Hounds’ goal posts and the 3rd and 4th goals by NB being of the slightly “unusual” variety.
Late shout out to SNLDP on the surprise win prediction (did you specify this one, or just in general?). I will, however, stand by my stated expectation of 3-7 in the 10 game block 2/13 – 3/3. Please prove me wrong, Troops (in a good way, of course).

At this afternoon’s workout, Pacey was suited up as 4th line winger, possibly indicating DW11’s absence might be long term. Coach was in full voice today (at times) and drove the boys (at times). They were also coming off the boards one at a time through a sort of tight obstacle course and then driving to the net for a shot, kind of an interesting look.

Reactions: soo hound girl

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
Frost had a 4 point night in Suds , jumped ahead of Braz .
Frost 48 games , 93 points
Braz 54 games , 90 points
Robertson 47 games , 88 points,
Both Frost & Robertson play on better teams that score more , but Braz has more games .
I can see Braz finishing with 50ish , but down around the 5th or 6th in league scoring.
As mentioned he is gassed , for 2 reasons , before xmas he played a ton , and he has to work harder than most just to get up and down the ice ,as his skating style is not the best to push that big body, unlike the small guys who fly effortlessly out there.

IceCube

Mar 20, 2014
Any way you cut it, Braz has had an outstanding OA year. Could anymore be expected out of a 13th round pick. Great OHL player and a better person. Love to see him hit 60 but running out of game. A Pro contract would be the cherry on the sundae!!

I think this team is going to be pretty good next year...

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Hmm they could call up better player then that. Looks at the stats and ages theres better but size is something the troops want instead of skill.

Maybe, right shot Hardwick is best suited for 4th line on a team that needs points to secure a playoff birth.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Propp made an outstanding leg save in that game but IMO, if Purboo starts, we win that one.

JB17 continues to struggle getting quality chances. Everyone in the league is onto the 'toe drag' move, it's not working anymore. The PP has gone ugly. Watch some video of the Soo game to see how to totally dominate with the man advantage. I thought the zebras called a great game today.

I would suggest moving Peters onto the line with Primeau and Coe. Peters is going to be a star on this team, great talent.

Reactions: Uncle

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Propp made an outstanding leg save in that game but IMO, if Purboo starts, we win that one.

JB17 continues to struggle getting quality chances. Everyone in the league is onto the 'toe drag' move, it's not working anymore. The PP has gone ugly. Watch some video of the Soo game to see how to totally dominate with the man advantage. I thought the zebras called a great game today.

I would suggest moving Peters onto the line with Primeau and Coe. Peters is going to be a star on this team, great talent.
Play by plays talking about how great hes been "developed" so far (Peters) hes been the same player since the get go and has barely gotten a sniff of anything above bottom 6. Give the kid a chance. Peters primeau coe would be great. These bright spots in the lineup should be put in positions to succeed, not tread water

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad