Norris Trophy Finalists: Victor Hedman (TB), Mark Giordano (CGY), and Brent Burns (SJ)

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Rielly struggles hard defensively. The advanced stats back that up. Offensively, he’s good, but also gets a boost playing with Marner, Tavares and Matthews.

Not surprised he didn’t get a nomination. He wasn’t a top five defenseman this year.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
no, that would be tampa. choking year after year with nearly an all star team.

Better than being bottom of the barrel, sorry you aren't talked about cause you're so bad. The need for attention is real.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It sometimes happens when you become a two time cup winning team. I do the same thing all over again. Though they can't be more embarrassing than the Lightning getting swept.

Aw, you like to live in the past I would too with your recent placement.

debil

Sep 23, 2006
I dont know I dont want Giordano to win this after such collapse in the playoffs.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Hedman unequivocally had a worse season than Rielly. Missed 20 games and wasn't even the best dman on his team tbh (McD). Reputation nomination. Norris and Selke always are.
Why do people keep saying this? McDonagh was not better than Hedman. McDonagh played very well at the start of the season when Hedman was hurt, but other than that Hedman was Hedman.

And Reilly is complete trash defensively. Pietrangelo at third? Fine. Reilly? no.

Furio

you got a bee on your hat
Nov 20, 2018
Naples
I don’t watch many caps games, but I figured Carlson would have a shot at being nominated.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'm surprised I expected Rielly to get a nomination. To be fair i didn't think this was a super strong year for defensemen. I know Gio and Burns had good years but i thought it was pretty wide open after, and expected Rielly to be #3. Hedman is a safe, if somewhat boring, choice. If I had to guess the votes between Rielly and Hedman are probably close

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Not that surpried by the choices. Gio should run away with this. Burns isnt close defensively while Gio is close offensively. Hedman is a clearly third of this group this season. Not surprised Reilly didnt get nominated, he barely pnalty kills which hurts him. I could've seen him or Carlson finishing above Hedman but I'm not shocked that they didnt either. This year really was a 2 horse race

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Was Hedman really a top 3 defenseman this season?

He was the anchor of the defence for one of the best regular season teams of all time and I think he is currently (and for the last few seasons) the best defenseman in the league.

It's funny all of these people that are criticizing him being included in the nominees. Not only should he be nominated, he is easily one of the top two defenseman in the league *this season.* You could make (a rather convincing) argument that Giordano was better this year, but there's no argument for any other defenseman being better than him this past season.

It's funny when a Leaf defenseman has a high scoring year, suddenly the argument about blue liners that pile up points not necessarily being worth of a Norris has strangely vanished. When Erik Karlsson does it, meh, the Norris should be about more than just points, when Morgan Rielly does - hey, what the hell, how come Hedman, this two way monster who's fantastic defensively is suddenly worthy of a Norris? Bu the has less points than Reilly!

It's like Leaf fans keep their goalposts on wheels so they can constantly move them when it suits their narrative. I wonder if Rielly not getting nominated in some how the referees fault?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad