Norris Trophy Finalists: Victor Hedman (TB), Mark Giordano (CGY), and Brent Burns (SJ)

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
That doesn't change much of anything for me. If you are a playoff choker you can will all the regular season awards you want but you're obviously not good enough to carry it into the post season. I think Tampa made that theory undoubtedly true.

What are you on about? Didnt Gio just choke too? Why aren't you laying into him?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
You think Subban, Burns and Karlsson are good defensively then you do not have a very high bar of solid defensive play. Not sure how Reilly got caught in your filter then as he is very adapt at skating and moving the puck out of his own zone.

How did Rielly get "caught in my fitler?" I said I thought Rielly was fantastic in this thread. Is that the filter? "The fantastic filter?"

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
How?? Burns had more points

If it was based on all around (PP, PK, minutes logged etc)

Seth Jones should have been mentioned
Agreed Jones was 4th last year the only thing I can think of is he miss missed a few games to injury but Hedman made it so the only thing that makes sense there is the greatness that was that team this year but this is back to back years Jones gets kinda f***ed.

To suggest that Subban isn't good in is own zone is essentially telling me that you haven't watched him play. You've ended this conversation before it even began.

Burns, as well, is clearly adept at both ends of the ice (though much better offensively than defensively) so I'm not sure why you'd cite him, either. Karlsson's ability to skate and move the puck makes him pretty effective in his own end as well. I have no issue with any one of those guys winning Norris trophies in their respective years.

You seem to think in order to be good offensively you must be poor defensively. One does not equal the other.
Agree with everything you said about everyone not named Subban. His Norris was a Joke and in the lockout year. His D is very shakey and selfish. He scores from being agressive and people being caught off guard but that also leads to odd man rushes against a good amount as well. He gets beat a lot and then has to take penalties to bail hinself out and that puts pressure on his team. Theres qlso a reason Nashville wants to move him a few years after getting him for weber when MTL wanted to move him. Its kinda a recurring theme. He is the definition of 4th F. Burns can play F and is very offensive minded but I never see him selfishly activate leaving his W out to dry karlson either .

In the past 8 years, the Norris went to the d-man that was 1st in points 50% of the time and 1st or 2nd in points 75% of the time.

But please, go on how it isn't about points and how anyone that understands the obvious truth you do not is only interested in pools.

Recent Norris Winners:
2017-2018 - Hedman - 5th in points
2016-2017 - Burns - 1st in points
2015-2016 - Doughty - 10th in points
2014-2015 - Karlsson - 1st in points
2013-2014 - Keith - 2nd in points
2012-2013 - Subban - 1st in points
2011-2012 - Karlsson - 1st in points
2010-2011 - Lidstrom - 2nd in points
See you have to understand context here. Yes it looks like points are very important here. Lindstrom was 2nd in points but he was also a stud on D there is a reason he won so many. Karlsson on both wins 100% vecause points but he had INSANE offensive output for a player period those years not just D but a player in general. Subbans was a joke in the lock out year 100% point related. Kieth doughty and Hedman were the definition of the award guys whonhad points but are great defenders in their own end. Points were just a plus it was their D that won it. Burns again was Hart trophy level points not just for a D.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
In the past 8 years, the Norris went to the d-man that was 1st in points 50% of the time and 1st or 2nd in points 75% of the time.

But please, go on how it isn't about points and how anyone that understands the obvious truth you do not is only interested in pools.

Recent Norris Winners:
2017-2018 - Hedman - 5th in points
2016-2017 - Burns - 1st in points
2015-2016 - Doughty - 10th in points
2014-2015 - Karlsson - 1st in points
2013-2014 - Keith - 2nd in points
2012-2013 - Subban - 1st in points
2011-2012 - Karlsson - 1st in points
2010-2011 - Lidstrom - 2nd in points
Points are the easiest thing to quantify . The rest is all pretty subjective so I can see why it normally goes to someone near the top in points vs a vlasic or someone .

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Reputation from last season (and arguably the season before) got Hedman nominated again. But IMO, and that's coming from a Lightning fan, he shouldn't be in the Norris top-3 this season. Pietrangelo should been the 3rd. Doesn't matter though, Giordano should win it anyway.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Reputation from last season (and arguably the season before) got Hedman nominated again. But IMO, and that's coming from a Lightning fan, he shouldn't be in the Norris top-3 this season. Pietrangelo should been the 3rd. Doesn't matter though, Giordano should win it anyway.
Pietro is the one guy I'd have been fine with over Hedman. Carlson and Reilly? Nah dawg.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Burns had a season that hasn't been done in about 20 years or so being over a point per game over a full season on defense. He is the most important reason the Sharks were a playoff team this year since Karlsson missed almost half the season, had poor goaltending performances all year, and were not elite on talent up front. Burns is the straw that stirs the drink in San Jose. He's their leading scorer and their MVP. Giordano will probably win this but he is not those things to Calgary. He still deserves it due to his exceptional defensive year and ability to take advantage of playing with Gaudreau and Monahan and Lindholm having truly outstanding seasons among others. But anyone thinking Burns doesn't deserve to be nominated when he was clearly the team MVP of a playoff team and leading scorer is very much mistaken. No other defenseman in this conversation was their team MVP, catalyst, and/or leading scorer.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Hedman definitely didn't deserve the nomination though, norris is becoming a reputation award sadly.

If Giordano gets it, it's basically a lifetime achievement award.

I think the inclusion of Hedman basically shows that's where the heads are of those that nominate.

Rielly should have gotten the nod over Hedman, as was posted here earlier. There are plenty of reasons why, but GWGs is what pushed him into becoming a finalist, imo.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Karlsson on both wins 100% vecause points but he had INSANE offensive output for a player period those years not just D but a player in general.

So you admit your prior comment about it having nothing to do with point is wrong? Huh, who knew? (spoiler alert, everyone else)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

I think the inclusion of Hedman basically shows that's where the heads are of those that nominate.

Rielly should have gotten the nod over Hedman, as was posted here earlier. There are plenty of reasons why, but GWGs is what pushed him into becoming a finalist, imo.
GWGs is a trash stat. If that makes any difference in how you rank players, that's a problem.

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing

Giordano absolutely deserves the award, he has the reputation, the defensive acumen, the advance stats AND the offensive numbers. Hes had it all this season and is the most deserving.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Giordano absolutely deserves the award, he has the reputation, the defensive acumen, the advance stats AND the offensive numbers. Hes had it all this season and is the most deserving.

Crazy for people to be so salty about their boy not making the list, that silly things like lifetime achievement awards are being thrown around.
Dude was the best NHL defencemen in the NHL this past regular season. Not much else can be said. Top defensive player, top offensive player. The dude's a beast. It's only too bad it didn't continue in the post season, but hey, it is what it is.

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
Hedman was voted the best defensemen by the NHLPA a few months ago.

Dunno what the people in this thread are talking about... ah, right... because he had an injury in the two playoff games he played, that overwrites his entire year.

Just so you dudes know, Norris doesn't always go to highest scoring defensemen. Check out who won the Norris last year, and the points between them. ;)

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
What are you on about? Didnt Gio just choke too? Why aren't you laying into him?
Gio didn't choke. The team didn't play well. Gio played well. He got outclassed at times but he was far from choking in the playoffs.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Idk I think you have to see how the voting actually played out . Hedman could have just bumped third by getting a bunch of fifth place votes or something .

Yeah seriously, I bet it's something hilarious where all the biased voters put Hedman 2nd or 3rd on their ballots to lower the votes for their competition to the point where he ultimately made it to 3rd.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Hedman was voted the best defensemen by the NHLPA a few months ago.

Dunno what the people in this thread are talking about... ah, right... because he had an injury in the two playoff games he played, that overwrites his entire year.

Just so you dudes know, Norris doesn't always go to highest scoring defensemen. Check out who won the Norris last year, and the points between them. ;)
Because most people know Hedman had a down season and only got 3rd place votes based on reputation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad