Norris Trophy Finalists: Victor Hedman (TB), Mark Giordano (CGY), and Brent Burns (SJ)

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Whether or not Hedman deserves to be ahead of Rielly or not is the only point of contention regarding the Norris. This is Giordano's year.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
To the degree where it makes up a 29 point gap, and then exceeds that gap to the degree to where you can’t even debate it? Absolutely not.

Again, Brent Burns would be a fantastic choice for a hockey pool. But if I was given the choice of any defenseman in the league right now to build a team to win the Stanley Cup this year, I'd pick Victor Hedman over him and I wouldn't need even a moment to deliberate.

You seem really hung up on point production when discussing a trophy that has nothing to do with point production.

Reactions: Gainesvillain

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Again, Brent Burns would be a fantastic choice for a hockey pool. But if I was given the choice of any defenseman in the league right now to build a team to win the Stanley Cup this year, I'd pick Victor Hedman over him and I wouldn't need even a moment to deliberate.

You seem really hung up on point production when discussing a trophy that has nothing to do with point production.

The Norris Trophy is Awarded to the defenseman who demonstrates the best all-around ability at the position. Offensive ability matters no more and no less than defensive ability does.

It’s funny that you harp on points when points don’t actually do justice to the gap in offensive ability between Burns and Hedman. Hedman was only 29 points behind Burns, but he did that on one of the most stacked offenses and best power plays in NHL history, while Burns led his team in scoring and carried them to 2nd in league scoring with a forward group that was considered fairly average before the season started.

It’s also funny that you mention playoffs when Burns had a better playoff run in 2016 than Hedman ever has and Burns has been much better in this year’s playoffs than Hedman was. (Yes, I realize Hedman is concussed.)

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005

I think many people would agree with you, however, for this season only, Hedman doesn't deserve to be in the top 3.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I think many people would agree with you, however, for this season only, Hedman doesn't deserve to be in the top 3.

I thought Victor Hedman was absolutely outstanding this season and a massive part of the incredible success that the Lightning enjoyed.

I don't think it's much of a coincidence that when he was injured in the playoffs, the Lightning were suddenly very beatable.

To suggest that Morgan Rielly - who I think is fantastic - was somehow better than Victor Hedman this year is pretty silly in my opinion. Rielly is still young and will improve, but at this point, he's not on the same level as Victor Hedman as an NHL defenseman.

Reactions: mikeyp24

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
The Norris Trophy is Awarded to the defenseman who demonstrates the best all-around ability at the position. Offensive ability matters no more and no less than defensive ability does.

It’s funny that you harp on points when points don’t actually do justice to the gap in offensive ability between Burns and Hedman. Hedman was only 29 points behind Burns, but he did that on one of the most stacked offenses and best power plays in NHL history, while Burns led his team in scoring and carried them to 2nd in league scoring with a forward group that was considered fairly average before the season started.

It’s also funny that you mention playoffs when Burns had a better playoff run in 2016 than Hedman ever has and Burns has been much better in this year’s playoffs than Hedman was. (Yes, I realize Hedman is concussed.)

I don't think there's much point in continuing this conversation. You seem only interested in hockey pools.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
He was the anchor of the defence for one of the best regular season teams of all time and I think he is currently (and for the last few seasons) the best defenseman in the league.

It's funny all of these people that are criticizing him being included in the nominees. Not only should he be nominated, he is easily one of the top two defenseman in the league *this season.* You could make (a rather convincing) argument that Giordano was better this year, but there's no argument for any other defenseman being better than him this past season.

It's funny when a Leaf defenseman has a high scoring year, suddenly the argument about blue liners that pile up points not necessarily being worth of a Norris has strangely vanished. When Erik Karlsson does it, meh, the Norris should be about more than just points, when Morgan Rielly does - hey, what the hell, how come Hedman, this two way monster who's fantastic defensively is suddenly worthy of a Norris? Bu the has less points than Reilly!

It's like Leaf fans keep their goalposts on wheels so they can constantly move them when it suits their narrative. I wonder if Rielly not getting nominated in some how the referees fault?

Or have the goal posts moved since Karlsson has won twice, Subban once and Burns once in the past 7 seasons? None of these players are good in their own zone but won the award based on point totals.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

The Norris has nothing to do with point production? Since when?

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Gio should finally win (IMO he would have won in 2015, injuries be darned) and if he doesn't I will officially lose what little faith in the PWHA I have left.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Or have the goal posts moved since Karlsson has won twice, Subban once and Burns once in the past 7 seasons? None of these players are good in their own zone but won the award based on point totals.

To suggest that Subban isn't good in is own zone is essentially telling me that you haven't watched him play. You've ended this conversation before it even began.

Burns, as well, is clearly adept at both ends of the ice (though much better offensively than defensively) so I'm not sure why you'd cite him, either. Karlsson's ability to skate and move the puck makes him pretty effective in his own end as well. I have no issue with any one of those guys winning Norris trophies in their respective years.

You seem to think in order to be good offensively you must be poor defensively. One does not equal the other.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

In the past 8 years, the Norris went to the d-man that was 1st in points 50% of the time and 1st or 2nd in points 75% of the time.

But please, go on how it isn't about points and how anyone that understands the obvious truth you do not is only interested in pools.

Recent Norris Winners:
2017-2018 - Hedman - 5th in points
2016-2017 - Burns - 1st in points
2015-2016 - Doughty - 10th in points
2014-2015 - Karlsson - 1st in points
2013-2014 - Keith - 2nd in points
2012-2013 - Subban - 1st in points
2011-2012 - Karlsson - 1st in points
2010-2011 - Lidstrom - 2nd in points

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
To suggest that Subban isn't good in is own zone is essentially telling me that you haven't watched him play. You've ended this conversation before it even began.

Burns, as well, is clearly adept at both ends of the ice (though much better offensively than defensively) so I'm not sure why you'd cite him, either. Karlsson's ability to skate and move the puck makes him pretty effective in his own end as well. I have no issue with any one of those guys winning Norris trophies in their respective years.

You seem to think in order to be good offensively you must be poor defensively. One does not equal the other.

You think Subban, Burns and Karlsson are good defensively then you do not have a very high bar of solid defensive play. Not sure how Reilly got caught in your filter then as he is very adapt at skating and moving the puck out of his own zone.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Giordano wins, hard to overlook 74 points as a D. If not, give it to Hedman even though he was a massive pylon in the playoffs when he did play (I know playoffs are not taken into account, but he was still brutal).

Hedman played with a concussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad